First Time FAC - Advise me please.

Guys,

I am an 18 year old student. I have been involved in school shooting and my CCF contingent which has given me experience with .22lr, 5.56mm and 7.62mm shooting. It is my desire to get a 7.62 rifle for the purpose of hunting (as a paying participant) and target practice/zeroing. I'm not really a fan of the "target rifle" discipline, as in slings, jackets, iron sights and discomfort, because I prefer more relaxed rules as far as equipment goes.

Basically I was wondering if there was any advice out there as to how I might go about getting the proof for the police so they do not reject my application out of hand.

All the Best,

Ed

To be honest your CCF shooting experience, no dissreespect intended, means jack mate as you know, otherwise you wouldnt be asking for advice on how to prove 'a proven need for a firearm' (its strange as the Home Office Guidelines do infact actually use the word 'desire to own a firearm' as being not a good enough reason) to your local FEO.

Have you got land where you have written permission to shoot over it for rabbits, foxes, corvids etc? As without that you dont have a chance unless you join a target shooting club.

So a few options for you:

Just pay to hunt and pay to hire guns - job done and your happy.

Join a target club if you want to do long range target bashing with big calibres.

Get in to hunting by buying an air rifle, learning your field craft, gaining the respect and trust of a landowner who is going to let you wander round his land with a rifle, getting rid of his pests.

Oh and obviously the hardest way of all, which in my opinion is the right way, is to learn the craft, learn about the environment and get permission to shoot on another persons land, this is the rewarding way as it builds a vast amount of knowledge regarding safe shooting, this then gives you the experience that the FEO would like to see when you put your application in.

The other thing I think you need to think about is the cost of rifles, especialy when you start buying larger calibres as they do not come cheap, I have my eye on a couple of RPA rifles, but we are talking a couple of grand and then the cost of a decent scope.

All the best though mate :)

To be honest your CCF shooting experience, no dissreespect intended, means jack mate as you know, otherwise you wouldnt be asking for advice on how to prove 'a proven need for a firearm' (its strange as the Home Office Guidelines do infact actually use the word 'desire to own a firearm' as being not a good enough reason) to your local FEO.

Have you got land where you have written permission to shoot over it for rabbits, foxes, corvids etc? As without that you dont have a chance unless you join a target shooting club.

So a few options for you:

Just pay to hunt and pay to hire guns - job done and your happy.

Join a target club if you want to do long range target bashing with big calibres.

Get in to hunting by buying an air rifle, learning your field craft, gaining the respect and trust of a landowner who is going to let you wander round his land with a rifle, getting rid of his pests.

Oh and obviously the hardest way of all, which in my opinion is the right way, is to learn the craft, learn about the environment and get permission to shoot on another persons land, this is the rewarding way as it builds a vast amount of knowledge regarding safe shooting, this then gives you the experience that the FEO would like to see when you put your application in.

The other thing I think you need to think about is the cost of rifles, especialy when you start buying larger calibres as they do not come cheap, I have my eye on a couple of RPA rifles, but we are talking a couple of grand and then the cost of a decent scope.

All the best though mate :)

Cheers for the reply - yes I had imagined that CCF would be irrelevant. I wasn't looking for a quick fix - I know that shooting is a long-term commitment and that the legislation is designed to stop people who shouldn't have guns from having guns. So, in a nutshell, your advice is get practical advice, do the DSC courses and then use land rights as a valid reason?

I (my parents) own about 3 acres of land but to be honest that means about as much as the CCF shooting experience - occasionally get some muntjac and seen maybe two rabbits in the last 10 years.

The main reason I asked the question was to ascertain whether a reason along the lines of - "I've been shooting rabbits for X years at X's farm and I've gone on X number of stalks/big game hunting excursions and now would like to move on to larger game" would be something that would be appropriate and I think you answered perfectly!

Would you have any recommendations for an air rifle that might be suitable for rabbits and pigeons - I've googled alot in the past but there are a million and one different types and I find it a bit overwhelming!

Thanks again,

Ed

If you have your ROS book, with evidence of lots of shooting, that will be very helpful with the application as it proves that you have experience of shooting larger caliber rifles. If your CCF unit was any good, then your weapons handling and safety will be top notch. Also if you have recently left the CCF, or are still a member, then a letter from a qualified range officer, or one of your CCF officers stating that you are competent will be of great use.

Other than that, surely your parents have friends/relations with land that you can shoot over? Do they know anyone who shoots and might be willing to act as a mentor for you? If you intend to pay to stalk, then proof of a booking might be sufficient "reasonable cause" to apply for your FAC.

You do not need to show a "need" to apply for an FAC, only a "reasonable cause" to hold.

A further point is that you are very unlikely to get .308 on a first FAC for field use. 7.62 x 51 is purely a military calibre, the civilian version being known as .308", the diameter of the bullet. It is regarded as suitable for large deer, red and sika, and wild boar. Previous posters gave said most of the rest, and I would just add that for field use your best bet is .22lr. With your CCF training you would be welcome as a member at most .22 target clubs as well.

You might well get .308 for target use but have to keep gun and ammo at the club where you shoot.

ATB,

Ric

If you have 3 Acres to shoot on; your FEO (Firearms Enquiries Officer) may deem it safe of a .22lr sporting rifle for instance for rabbitt / small ground vermin control.

Obviously, It would be up to the FEO's survey on the safely of the land, back stops,public highway etc whether or not it would be granted.

I you have a neighbouring farm / landowner, they may also give you permission to shoot over there land as well.

Upon authorisation by your local Constabulary; you will after a while be able to put in for a variation for other calibre rifles you NEED. Not just want to have.

You will need to prove you need a larger calibre rifle for deer management / stalking etc.

Think about getting your DSC1 / 2 Certificates to demonstrate your committment and record all shoots you attend in the mean time.

The bottom line is contact your local FEO and tell them what you want to do. They will put you in the picture.

Unless you can prove to the satisfaction of your local police force that you have (precise wording) "Good Reason" to own a particular firearm, you will be wasting your time.

Download a copy of "Firearms Law Guidance to the Police 2002" which is available on the net as a pdf file (Google search) and read chapter 13 which deals with the whole definition of "good reason". The rest of the document makes very interesting reading as well.