thinking of a bigger game calibre

hi all i am in two minds of which calibre to variate for between 308 and 708 i understand the 708 is a necked down 308 case but i have also been told the 708 will out shoot the 308 but that the ammo is hard to come by for the 708 i hand load my ammo and thats what i would be doing with which ever calibre i choose does anyone have a better idea of the pros and cons of both rounds i want to use the round for stags big game ect any info would be great cheers

both have an excellent track record, and have a vast array of bullets in alot of styles, But if its for game then the .308 would be my choice, better energy on impact and at a greater range than the 7mm-08

however it all depends on the bullets you choose,

For a long range target weapon then maybe the 7-08 might get my vote, but As you said game, then the .308 would also have been my choice.

Snap.

there was an article in sporting rifle a while back on the differences, I gather, the 7mm-08 is faster, bucks the wind better and shoots flatter than the .308, and kicks less, but you can't use as heavy a bullet in the .308. if I was hand loading, the only thing that would make me choose the .308 over the 7mm-08 is if I was going after boar, for all UK deer species the 7mm-08 I'd think would be better in most ways