Lurchers & Stock

Guest Lurcherbitch

Guest Lurcherbitch

My mate (peakhound) is fostering Chas for me, it was on a view to keep but Chas has decided she wants to eat the sheep :icon_eek: She has already had the cock in her mouth (no rude remarks please) but let go when Peakhound bellowed at her. So even though we have decided that it would be best Chas is homed away from sheep. I was wondering, If we did want to stock break a dog of that age, (about 3yrs) could we? how would we do it? I get a lot of homes offerd in the country which my dogs miss out on, so if there is anything i could do to sort them out, please tell me. Ta.x

Below a pic of chas.

Edited by Lurcherbitch

Guest Lurcherbitch
If that dog is already attacking sheep, forget it. :(

Personaly, it should of been stock broken when it was a pup, bit late now. :blink:

Frank.

Thanks folks thats what we thought. By the way Frank, I run a rescue Chas came out of a pound in Durham a few weeks ago so i dont get the option to train them as pups. ;) .

Edited by Lurcherbitch

Got to dissagree here, i had a bitch that came to me as a sheep worrier, and as we had sheep at the time, i walked the dog in a pen of big old ewes. Every time she lunged at them, she got told. Then i let her go in the pen (a few days down the line, once he seemed ok) and the ewes formed a circle around the dog, stamping thier feet and looking mean. Dog seemed to get the message, and was stock proof from then on. I have a pup now, and some hens, for the same reason. Problem for most folks, is not havind access to sheep. Dont think many farmers will let you 'borrow' some sheep.

Guest peakhound

It's such a shame, because in every other way she's perfect.

Can't really blame her for trying to eat the black cock, because he did come at her "giving it large" (and there are quite a few people who would rather see him dead, my 8 year old daughter has been singing "chick, chick, chick, chick, chicken, can I have your leg for tea?").

As our dogs mooch around the fields with us while we're out doing sheepy things (introduced to them from being very small pups!), it obviously isn't the right place for her.

If she had shown any warning signs, or if the sheep had run past her I would think we stood a chance, and would perhaps introduce her to the old tup. But, the posture remained the same, and the sheep was just minding his own business. (The sheep are immune to dogs, because they learn from being lambs that the lurchers belt around in circles but ignore them, in fact the lambs quite often chase the dogs!).

As i say, though, fantastic dog for someone who does not have sheep popping up everywhere!

Guest ceredigion bull cross

My mate (peakhound) is fostering Chas for me, it was on a view to keep but Chas has decided she wants to eat the sheep :icon_eek: She has already had the cock in her mouth (no rude remarks please) but let go when Peakhound bellowed at her. So even though we have decided that it would be best Chas is homed away from sheep. I was wondering, If we did want to stock break a dog of that age, (about 3yrs) could we? how would we do it? I get a lot of homes offerd in the country which my dogs miss out on, so if there is anything i could do to sort them out, please tell me. Ta.x

Below a pic of chas.

hi , i use one of those remote control shock collor , when i zap the dog i shout NO , a few outings of this genrally does the trick......i also put dog on a long length of rope for the first outing , just to be safe ... :yes:

Lurcherbitch they may not be pc but have you thought about using an electric collar? I think in this situation the collar would be kinder than the dog getting PTS when at some point it bogs off and finds a flock of sheep. I think they have a use in the hands of someone with an UNDERSTANDING of training.

Training collar will do the trick :yes: , put many dogs on the straight and narrow including a three year old sheep killer. I usually take it walking of the lead with the collar on just keep it in check with voice commands but if it does take off after one let it get as close as your nerves can take then give it one high zap it won't take long to realise that those white clouds are not on the menu.

Guest Lurcherbitch
Lurcherbitch they may not be pc but have you thought about using an electric collar? I think in this situation the collar would be kinder than the dog getting PTS when at some point it bogs off and finds a flock of sheep. I think they have a use in the hands of someone with an UNDERSTANDING of training.

Dont worry, i wont pts a dog just cause it kills sheep, i just home it where there aint none, BUT in cases like this it would be great to keep the dog with the person who wanted it.

I am in contact with someone by pm who is giving me advice on the collars you are talking about. He is running me through it step by step. :yes:

I heard i can test the collar out on blackbob :laugh:

Edited by Lurcherbitch

Dont worry, i wont pts a dog just cause it kills sheep, i just home it where there aint none, BUT in cases like this it would be great to keep the dog with the person who wanted it.

I am in contact with someone by pm who is giving me advice on the collars you are talking about. He is running me through it step by step. :yes:

I heard i can test the collar out on blackbob :laugh:

We have 2500 sheep so a stock worrier is a definite no no have broke loads of dogs to sheep adult and pups sometimes it is not feasible when they are pups if inhereted or rescued,admire people who ask for help or admit their dog has a problem.

Puppy training introduce them to stock as early as possible on a short lead then longer if the dog lunges when sheep run by or when it sees sheep give it a yank on the lead then scald it with words.

Adult dogs try the same method perhaps with a choker collar until it stops showing intrest.

Inherited a German Shepherd dog Max he was brought to us at three what a dog fully trained his owner had died,everything about him was superb ,until we started lambing he would take lambs and ewes for fun,bought a shock collar followed all the instructions and watched the video ,took him out zapped him once he shot back to me I called him all the nice things you do,took him out a week later soon as he seen sheep shot of at them sounded the collar without zapping stopped dead in his tracks expecting zap.He was with us until he died at twelve I could even work sheep with him,I would say handing them on to somewhere were there are no sheep could cause problems in the future try to cure the problem ,good luck