Walking Sticks Attempt No. 2

Hi folks this is our second attempt at making sticks. Any comments would be appricated. i am thinking of making some animal heads such as pheasants, fox and dogs any tips or hints would be great.

post-31633-0-67093500-1304717434_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

godd effort there, my old dad made some a few years ago,,, well about 15 years ago.

Was going to have a go at doing one or two myself. Apart from getting a nice bit of thick hazel (waiting for it to dry) i have no idea where to start from here. i do have a nice 3 point roe antler "cast off" that i am going to experiment with

Edited by Rabbithunter

oman,me being your first customer, :whistling: how much for a stick.I need a stick like the first photo to keep the elecy fence down.Remember now theres a recession down here,lol.

Glad you like the sticks hopefully have a few more made soon and will post some pictures. i am really after some hints and tricks about making them. have a load of shanks cut but need to wait for them to season. Out of interest what sort of money would they sell for. i know that it would not be much and i would not want to think of the hours put into some of them.

Edited by oman

My dads mate makes sticks. Infact, he makes everything, birdhouses, birdbaths with houses and feeders on them, too much to name. He was big into sticks when I was gamekeeping and I if we went out lamping he would be like- ooh look at how straight that Hazel branch is, I'm having that for my sticks. On shoot days when he would beat he would collect all the antlers and then saw stick 'head' size prices and put them in a box in his loft. He would collect lots of branches and keep them in his chicken shed, lay flat with some old hessian sacks on them to stop the shot getting on them. He sad that the chickens heat from lying on them would dry them better. About a month before he used one he would take it out and put it in his shed to finish the process. Funny how some people do things.

He would make sticks for shows, do all kinds of heads on them, the best he done was a collie dog jumping off the top of the stick with a sheep chasing it. Really good and funny.

He taught me to make them and I just made a simple 'Y' head on it. It took me ages to make and I really appreciated what time and effort goes into thes things. Anybody who makes them is an artist in their own right. I've still got my stick but won't be making another one. Took me bloody ages! Haha