after a whiskey or two...........or 7

after a few drinks in the pub last night and got chatting to the new owner and she happened to mention that she had a bit of a problem with with some pigeons at the back of the pub so me being pissed as a fart i said id come up and shoot them. but thinking about it now shootings not really an option as the pub backs onto houses and there flats above it. so i'm thinking about trapping them but not really sure what's the best option for trapping pigeons. if need be its will be a box a stick and a bit of washing line. but I was hoping for something a bit more sophisticated so any ideas will be welcome.

http://www.elgeeco.co.uk/wpigeon.html

On their vid looks like it works :thumbs:

someone put a vidio up a while back a wire cage with bob wires i copied it and it worked a treat .. got 9 in mine in a week cant find the thread but maybe someone will remember it .. i`d change the title might got more views .. i thought you where a pissed up gun man :laugh:

if worst comes to worst get a big dog cage, an bait it up wae food for a few days then use a line to pull door shut when they in feeding, dont take pigeons long to get comfy where theres free grub :thumbs:

Edited by DottyDoo

Make yourself a pigeon trap with either a funnel or bobwire door. These are large ones that I make for big buildings but the principle is the same.

post-2748-0-19666100-1304607531_thumb.jpg

post-2748-0-82523400-1304607415_thumb.jpg

thats the ones i was on about :thumbs: you can get the bob wires off ebay .. we used to make them out of wire coat hangers in the form of an upside down u shape tacked to swing on each corner with oval staples -- make sense :blink: ?

Make yourself a pigeon trap with either a funnel or bobwire door. These are large ones that I make for big buildings but the principle is the same.

thats the ones i was on about :thumbs: you can get the bob wires off ebay .. we used to make them out of wire coat hangers in the form of an upside down u shape tacked to swing on each corner with oval staples -- make sense :blink: ?

You could also get the Bob wires off John B since it's his idea your using !!! :thumbs:

Edited by butcherboy

You could also get the Bob wires off John B since it's his idea your using !!! :thumbs:

thr you go then if he sells em -- sorted
  • 4 weeks later...

Here you go - managed to get a picture of one of the traps in action.

You can see that there's plenty of room for the birds to move about, spread their wings and perch naturally. Even when there's a technician approaching they're still fairly relaxed.

Like any other live catch trap these need to be check daily. When first deployed at a site and catching this sort of numbers we usually check them 2 or 3 times a day.

post-2748-0-84468900-1307266367_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dances

if worst comes to worst get a big dog cage, an bait it up wae food for a few days then use a line to pull door shut when they in feeding, dont take pigeons long to get comfy where theres free grub :thumbs:

i heard this is how you catch your racers dotty? Mind they'd still be better then janseens lol

How do you dispatch them without them all getting out? Infact how do you manage to grab them as they must go bonkers as you reach in ? Cheers

You don't "reach in" to a trap that size, you get in there with them. You have to go about things in a calm and orderly fashion and do as little as possible to upset the birds.

The most efficient method is to take one bird at a time, hold it inside a large sack or box, out of site of the others and use a pair of poultry dispatchers. This is quick, humane and causes minimal distress to the birds still in the trap.

With these sort of numbers a priest isn't really the right approach.

Oh and wear a hat and safety goggles.