Local off the site came up for a stalk and met him on the motorway roundabout at 6.30 pm .Off to the ground and got there at 7pm .Sun was shining but a wind had got a bit which i knew would affect the deer a bit .Four big fields is all i have here but its a good bit of ground to have for the deer .A pond is at the centre and its where i shot the first buck of the season .We set off on a boundary stalk to check if anything was out yet but nothing .The second time round we stalked slower as the magical hour was upon us .Sure enough a buck was moving down a hedge from right to left infront of us and at 90 degrees to us .I asked local to take him when he turned the corner towards us as the vegitation was very high where he was as its a set aside beetle bank area .He appeared to be a malform wth only one right side antler visable .The buck however had other ideas and went through the hedge and away before turning the corner .We stalked up the hedge to where i intended to leave loacl for a vigil until dark and i went the other way heading for nowhere in particular .I spotted a white backside at distance on the far hedge and the bins revealed a buck of good size .He was striding out a bit probably on a territorial boundary check .I hurried up the hedge to my right to where i could get in front of him and ran acrosss the field using a couple of hen houses for cover.Composing myself i looked through the bins and saw him coming around a dog leg in the hedge so hurried the bipod out to full length and waited .It was apparent that he wasnt going to stop of his own accord being on a propper mission ,so i whistled to which he stopped and paid the ultimate price with a 100 grainer slamming into his chest at maybe 120 yds .The light was fading fast now but i saw his head go back and his legs flail a bit before he charged off into the hedge only to bounce out and make another 20 yds before hitting the hedge again ,this time crashing into it for a final dash .Found him legs up just inside a double hedge .A good head with a bit of weight to it hopefully .

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Apologies for not getting this pic up earlier but the tinterweb at my house is rubbish and the hardware is 5 years old :wallbash:

Anyhoo... here are some pics of this boy boiled out - he's had a nasty tangle at some point and it the hole in his face did a fair amount of damage. An old wound from the last rut or maybe earlier judging by the bone recovery. He's a gurt biggun' to use a west country term currently weighing just over 660 grams. The pics were taken moments after scraping which is why he looks a bit pasty but he's gleming now. A cracking buck FD with GLOD MEDAL written all over him - long overdue and well deserved given the generosity shown not only to me but other lads lucky enough to have walked the fields with you :notworthy:

SDC10802.jpg

SDC10800.jpg

SDC10806.jpg

Spend some time trying to catch up with the buck that put the whole in him foxdropper, i doubt he's a tiddler if he's still about. Congratulations though, much deserved.

Nice to see a head boiled out properly local, its not a difficult task but one which a lot of people dont seem to be able to do all that well. A little boiler and a power washer make all the difference!

Spend some time trying to catch up with the buck that put the whole in him foxdropper, i doubt he's a tiddler if he's still about. Congratulations though, much deserved.

Nice to see a head boiled out properly local, its not a difficult task but one which a lot of people dont seem to be able to do all that well. A little boiler and a power washer make all the difference!

I think ive spotted him mate from a distance though but the rut may see him closer than he would want to be . :boogie: