dead rabbits

out doing a bit of mooching yesterday. one of the dogs was marking a bramble bush went over to have a look and there was a rabbit sitting in its sate. stone dead no sine of a struggle and the rabbit was big and healthy, walked on for about an hour found another one exactly the same as the first this is a first for me has any one got any ideas

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Lead Poisoning :angry:

Midnight; Go back and get 'em or else, next time ye find one, skin it. Examine the inside of the pelt for the hole. Dissect it and, I bet ye a pound to a pinch of shit, ye'll find an air rifle pellet in their guts.

This is why we aim for the brain or else stick to tin cans.

Lead Poisoning :angry:

Midnight; Go back and get 'em or else, next time ye find one, skin it. Examine the inside of the pelt for the hole. Dissect it and, I bet ye a pound to a pinch of shit, ye'll find an air rifle pellet in their guts.

This is why we aim for the brain or else stick to tin cans.

done that ditch no sign of anything :blink:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Damn! Looks like I owe ye a pound!

Ok; Assuming ye did a proper job of the Post Mortem; What were they like inside? Only I personally became familiarised the 'new' watch word of RHD long before it hit the popular imagination. Outwardly, in an advanced stages of infection rabbit, I'd expect to see rear end wreckage and general wasting of the wretched things bodyThis due to it being too sick to feed and, once the back end goes, physically unable to. But I'm further assuming these appeared otherwise fit, healthy rabbits, Just dead?

What did ye find in the chest cavities, mate? That's where I was told to look.

Have a look at this

What happens to rabbits if they catch VHD?

When a rabbit catches VHD, the virus heads for the liver where it causes massive inflammation and deranged blood clotting. Internal bleeding then occurs. It's basically a viral haemorrhagic fever and has been nicknamed "rabbit Ebola" for very good reason.

VHD usually kills so quickly that no treatment is possible. Death rates of over 90% are quoted.

Baby rabbits, under about 8 weeks of age, typically don’t show any signs of illness. However the disease is usually fatal in rabbits over 8 weeks of age. Infected rabbits may just die very suddenly, with no outward sign of anything being wrong. Or they may get very ill before dying, have difficulty breathing, go off their food, have a high temperature and bleed from the nose and bottom. A small percentage of rabbits develop a more chronic form of the illness and may die of liver failure after 1-2 weeks.

VHD usually kills so quickly that no treatment is possible. Death rates of over 90% are often quoted. However, it's important to note that fatality rates can vary a great deal. In some outbreaks in Europe - particularly in the UK - only a small number of rabbits from a herd died. This is another reason why all rabbit owners should be alert to sudden deaths, even if only a few rabbits are affected.

Source:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/article...nfo_for_USA.htm