Best working dog you have seen...

Before I moved out here to England, the dog I held in highest regard was a friends Bully/cattle/stag X Stag, that dog could stop any pig, and also catch rabbit, hare, fox, roo's, fallow and the odd red deer. He was a fast and powerful dog that could always produce the goods, a reliable and trustworthy comrade. However I think Ive seen one to (dare I say) match that great Aussie dog. It is a line bred half bull/greyhound, and is one hell of a machine! He is past his best by all accounts but the dog wouldnt let ya believe it! I like my big game hunting, pigs/boar especially, so I favour dogs capable of stopping a b***ard of a boar in its tracks, and to see a dog performing at the top level on this stuff, yet also turn a hand to ANY other game with decent results is always a joy to behold. Id like to add that the owner of both dogs are sound and experienced dog men, who show their dogs plenty, and who's dogs are steady, good natured, happy animals, and well mannered around the farms. Like I have said in a previous topic, it doesnt matter what side of the world your on, there are great dogs and great dog men in every land.

What was the best dog you have ever seen? Let us know about it, its breeding and why it stood out above the rest.

Good hunting all, and Take Care

Tusker :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I moved out here to England, the dog I held in highest regard was a friends Bully/cattle/stag X Stag, that dog could stop any pig, and also catch rabbit, hare, fox, roo's, fallow and the odd re

Before I moved out here to England, the dog I held in highest regard was a friends Bully/cattle/stag X Stag, that dog could stop any pig, and also catch rabbit, hare, fox, roo's, fallow and the odd red deer. He was a fast and powerful dog that could always produce the goods, a reliable and trustworthy comrade. However I think Ive seen one to (dare I say) match that great Aussie dog. It is a line bred half bull/greyhound, and is one hell of a machine! He is past his best by all accounts but the dog wouldnt let ya believe it! I like my big game hunting, pigs/boar especially, so I favour dogs capable of stopping a b***ard of a boar in its tracks, and to see a dog performing at the top level on this stuff, yet also turn a hand to ANY other game with decent results is always a joy to behold. Id like to add that the owner of both dogs are sound and experienced dog men, who show their dogs plenty, and who's dogs are steady, good natured, happy animals, and well mannered around the farms. Like I have said in a previous topic, it doesnt matter what side of the world your on, there are great dogs and great dog men in every land.

What was the best dog you have ever seen? Let us know about it, its breeding and why it stood out above the rest.

Good hunting all, and Take Care

Best dog I have ever seen was a dog called "Wendy". I think the bitchs have a harder time than the dogs as the dog often has size on its side. Wendy is a coursing-bull. Half bull cross to half saluki cross, both were 6th gen. She would do rabbits, hares, fallow stags and reds. Sadly she died just before the ban never had pups.

She was owned by this really old git from what i can recall.

• 2 weeks later...

Best dog I have ever seen was a dog called "Wendy". I think the bitchs have a harder time than the dogs as the dog often has size on its side. Wendy is a coursing-bull. Half bull cross to half saluki cross, both were 6th gen. She would do rabbits, hares, fallow stags and reds. Sadly she died just before the ban never had pups.

She was owned by this really old git from what i can recall.

Sounds a good one mate, and from what Ive seen, the cross between the coursing dog and the bully greys make very handy animals :thumbs:

Best working/alround lurcher Ive seen was called Bes..lived in Northumberland..worked from 5 months old to 13 years old..lurcher x lurcher, with deerhound and collie in her..

I was recently living in Northumberland, some real top class working dogs and dedicated lurchermen I was lucky enough to become aquainted with. Beautiful rolling hills with lots to chase :victory:

The bitch must have been a special one, did she ever produce any pups to follow in her footsteps.

Also, its one thing having seen or owned one of these outstanding animals, but in many cases even the best for one reason or another, dont have such a long and prosperous career as the bitch you mentioned, be it injury, ailment, or simply burning out around 7/8 years, which makes the mentioned bitch Bes all the more worthy in my view.

Thanks for sharing

All the best Gents

Guest dances

I've seen several good hard bullxs, a few of which I know own and iv also seen several brilliant catching lurchers 2 of which are owned by my family but I couldn't name a best dog for a few reasons;

- they are all top quality at certain things but only standard regarding other abilities

- they have all given 100% on everything iv seen done and have always produced when the chips are down

• 3 weeks later...

Best working/alround lurcher Ive seen was called Bes..lived in Northumberland..worked from 5 months old to 13 years old..lurcher x lurcher, with deerhound and collie in her..

I was recently living in Northumberland, some real top class working dogs and dedicated lurchermen I was lucky enough to become aquainted with. Beautiful rolling hills with lots to chase :victory:

The bitch must have been a special one, did she ever produce any pups to follow in her footsteps.

Also, its one thing having seen or owned one of these outstanding animals, but in many cases even the best for one reason or another, dont have such a long and prosperous career as the bitch you mentioned, be it injury, ailment, or simply burning out around 7/8 years, which makes the mentioned bitch Bes all the more worthy in my view.

Thanks for sharing

All the best Gents

yes Bes had a couple of litters, and some of the best killers in that area came from her,,Bes ran till she was 12 years old..her grand daughter ran till she was 13, and one of her great grand daughters ran till she was 12. They were different dogs 20-25 years ago.

Heres one of her g/g/granddaughter

1688339d.jpg

Guest dances

Certainly, they sound like super handy dogs mate, a dog that does the job it was bred for, and does it with heart and gusto is a great asset to any kennel.

Well they are on the teams post

When different threads come up about the" best" dog seen, is it me or is the bullgrey x saluki greys mentioned more than most in the last decade but before that deerhound collie greys seemed to be the breeding of the special lurchers? Is this just because of the popularity of the crosses at the time? Just a thought