HOW TO BREED A HARE DOG

IF A MAN HAD TIME AND MONEY,AND STARTING AT THE BEGINNING, HOW WOULD YOU GO ABOUT TO

BREED TOP CLASS HARE DOGS?? WHAT BREEDS WOULD YOU USE AND WHY? FOR EXAMPLE A LOT OF

PEOPLE USE A SALUKI DOG OVER A GREYHOUND BITCH TO GET THEIR COURSING DOG BUT YET YOU

NEVER SEE TO MANY OF THESE THAT MAKE THE GRADE HERE IN IRELAND.ANY IDEAS LADS :thumbs:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if i couldnt use any of the old lines id go saluki over a genuine whippet/greyhound and build from there.

it was me fathers choice of dog he liked the beddy in there make up he recon it gave em heart

I would say, from my limeted experience, a injection of a good whippet x greyhound, would do well.

Small fields and hares that love the cover/obsticals over here, make it hard for a slow thinking dog to catch.

A good whippet x greyhound bitch put to a well known saluki bred lurcher that catches on all types of land, might do the trick?

But, as said, i am no expert, on this matter.

I would say, from my limeted experience, a injection of a good whippet x greyhound, would do well.

Small fields and hares that love the cover/obsticals over here, make it hard for a slow thinking dog to catch.

A good whippet x greyhound bitch put to a well known saluki bred lurcher that catches on all types of land, might do the trick?

VERY TRUE PAL, IT SEEMS DEERHOUNDS AND DEERHOUND LURCHERS ARENT VERY POPULAR HERE IN

IRELAND ANYMORE.THEY WERE ALL THE RAGE TWENTY YEARS AGO. :thumbs:

VERY TRUE PAL, IT SEEMS DEERHOUNDS AND DEERHOUND LURCHERS ARENT VERY POPULAR HERE IN

IRELAND ANYMORE.THEY WERE ALL THE RAGE TWENTY YEARS AGO. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

were deer hound crosses any good on hare ?????

the deerhound greyhound crosses ive seen run them are handy enough, not spectacular on tight turns but plenty fast and stay pretty well, one whippet grey back to a deerhound greyhound bitch ive seen on them is a demon, vety impressive.

Its horses for courses. Theres no such thing as a perfect hare dog and it will be a perfect hare dog anywhere you run it. Big open land requires a certain type of dog, for most people big land hares means saluki x grey. Other parts of the country its whippet x grey. Where i am its not so open and most lads go for equal parts saluki whippet greyhound. Personally i like a tiny bit of collie in the mix as well for the brain although if you breed from the right saluki it will have enough brain anyway.

iv seen a very good first x saluki x collie on hares before very handy..but what about saluki x deerhound anyone ever seen or worked one..?

SEEN ONE TEN YEARS AGO. I BELIVE IT CAME FROM WALES AND IT WAS A FIRST CROSS SALUKI X

DEERHOUND, NICE LOOKING DOG BUT WAS COMPLETELY USELESS AT HARES BUT MADE A VERY GOOD

FOX DOG :thumbs: