patterdale pups (not a for sale thread)

hi, before i start, ive bred them because i wanted a pup to start work with as id got the parents as adults and not being experienced, i didnt want to lead em to the slaughter throwing them in. im not selling my pups as "working stock" despite they rat and my bitch being more leggy isnt bad at catching the odd rabbit, and the pups grandparents are proven workers. though rather ironicly, i have more local working homes who've booked a pup than i have pups, so they will be put to work.

so please, i am just after some info

ive been mooching around these boards and google thismorning as my patterdales just had a litter and thrown me 2 brindle bitches! the other 6 are all black.

i was pretty shocked tbh, parents and grandparents are all black with that browny sheen in the sun. does this happen often? i assume its a throwback to some stafford being added along the line somewhere. do they turn out large like a staff or is it just colouring?

i found a thread about a litter sired by a brindle patterdale dog from feb on here... seemed to raise a couple of eyebrows so i am guessing its not very common. though google has produced several adverts where theres been 1 or more brindle in a litter.

so still none the wiser... anybody shed any light?

tan,black and tan,bronze,chocolate and black but never seen a brindle, can only be a throw back to staffy blood, there was some black and white ones on here last week could have been some russel blood in there somewhere or then again it could have been staffy

fair assumption its from stafford blood. how far back can these throwbacks appear from? been talking to some bulldog people today and they say bulldogs often throw pug pups from when pug was added in the late 1800s! not sure i buy that it seems too far gone.

here's a pic of one the brindle girls

206430_10150211257350795_515910794_8781876_4422777_n.jpg

and here's one my black girls...

216580_10150211266295795_515910794_8781919_7723755_n.jpg

brindle does seem to have more of a "stop" no?

Edited by stick

That is a great looking pup mate i would be well interested in seeing how it turns out,

as for the coat colour, it is probably from the staffy genes, brindle is recessive and black is dominant so usually black to black would mean black pups, unless both dogs have brindle genes in their heritage, which both of yours must to to produce the brindle pups.

It wont have an effect on the overall shape and size the pups reaches, as it is just a colour, if they do appear more staffy like that is literrally a coincidence lol,

if it was me id keep one back to see what it turned out like, im imagining a brindle patt would deffinately turn a few heads and still should do its job :thumbs:

Edited by Jordb543
  • Like 1

i got a black dog pup in december of 09 from a gamekeeper in irongray there was a brindel in that litter and the parents were both black i was goin to take it but the missus opted for the black if [NO TEXT TALK] know this keeper could u pm me would love to show him how his pups doing now it was irongray dumfries post-48500-0-48071500-1302984864_thumb.jpgpost-48500-0-31347700-1302984872_thumb.jpg not sure how much bull is in them this is him at 9wks back in december [ish]

cheers fellas, not had net access so couldnt reply. so it seems the odd ones do crop up. i was thinking they'd be big uns cos the bully throwback element, but weighed them all today at 1 week old and the brindles are the same weight as the others. only one pup is a monster, he's 25oz! what sorta weight is average on them?

for the white pups mentioned, it'll probably be from a jack in the line, just as brindle will be from stafford in the line id imagine. (brindle could also be from whippet in the blood? my bitch is more leggy than my dog)

those pups look cracking fellas. i'll put more pics up when they stop pretending theyre moles as we all like pups im sure :)

also, 2 appear to be turning brown is that how chocolate ones start out? black and then change?

Years ago i saw a very small brindle terrier,small but strong without being a minature staffy is the best way i could describe it,i asked a mate if he had ever seen the type and he said although he had'nt seen them for a good while they were fairly common at one time,most likely the 1960's and early 70's,no doubt the blood was absorbed into some strains of fell/patterdale types,maybe your dog has some of these genes?

If your bitch is pretty leggy you could be right and the brindle comes from a whippet somewhere in the breeding? which in turn would come from staffy somewhere down the line anyway.