"come back with my rabbit"

I have a 7 month old dog that will not return a rabbit for love nor money.His recall is normally spot on,but has now caught two rabbits and buggered off to the back of beyond with both of them.Never had this with any other dog.Any help or hints would be most gratefully recieved as Ive now missed two dinners and am knackered from chasing the cur!

I have a 7 month old dog that will not return a rabbit for love nor money.His recall is normally spot on,but has now caught two rabbits and buggered off to the back of beyond with both of them.Never had this with any other dog.Any help or hints would be most gratefully recieved as Ive now missed two dinners and am knackered from chasing the cur!

You mean he ran away :icon_eek: Never experienced that mate. I've had dogs doing the lap of honour etc but never f****d off. I'd work on his recal mate. 7 month is a bit young for me but each to their own, you have the summer to work on it so its a good time for a dog to be 7 months :thumbs:

He's only 7 months, it sounds like he's just getting over excited, forget about live rabbits for a few months and spend some time on his recall and retrieving training. Work your way up from a rabbit skin dummy to a whole [cold] rabbit, then when you're happy with his performance try him on a newly killed [warm] rabbit.

See when you have ran him on rabbits, has there only ever been the one chase? Maybe he thinks you only get one chase so he doesn't want to give it up and fucks off. If this is the case maybe help if you run him somewhere their is loads of rabbits or even lamp him.

See when you have ran him on rabbits, has there only ever been the one chase? Maybe he thinks you only get one chase so he doesn't want to give it up and fucks off. If this is the case maybe help if you run him somewhere their is loads of rabbits or even lamp him.

7 months to young for me you say, yet you would lamp him,

He's only 7 months, it sounds like he's just getting over excited, forget about live rabbits for a few months and spend some time on his recall and retrieving training. Work your way up from a rabbit skin dummy to a whole [cold] rabbit, then when you're happy with his performance try him on a newly killed [warm] rabbit.

The problem is he is just out for a walk, we're not actually hunting him at this age. And normally his recall is excellent.

The problem is he is just out for a walk, we're not actually hunting him at this age. And normally his recall is excellent.

Same as what's already been said.He's still young yet.

It's like being a kid & then being let loose in the sweetshop.Enjoy the summer & work on recall & retrieving .Take him somewhere with less chance of seeing rabbits if you can.Lots & lots of play,build up a strong bond & retrieving will come easier.

Good Luck.

Kev :thumbs:

ALRIGHT MATE.

WHEN HE CATCHES JUST SIT DOWN AND RUBBER HIM.

TRY NOT TO MAKE A FUSS,SIT AND WATCH HIM,DONT CHASE HIM,

TO MUCH EMPHISIS ON TRYING TO ROB HIM OF HIS KILL,CATCH HE,LL STAY OUT OF RANGE.

HES STILL A PUP ,ONE TRACK MIND,

ITS MINE,

DONT SHOW ANY EMOTION,OTHER THAN GOOD DOG,

IF YOUR SITTING ON THE DECK,ONCE HES NOT GETTING NO ATTENTION HE,LL BRING IT IN TO GET THE PRAISE.

A FEW TIMES DOING THIS HE,LL TIPPLE :thumbs:

TRIAL/N/ERROR.ATB.:thumbs:

PATCIENCE PAYS DIVIDENDS.:thumbs:

Edited by 3 Turns
  • Like 2

I start mine on cold retrieves as young as possible.so by the time they are catching live.They are use to the scent and dont get over excited.Makes recall far easyer.:thumbs:

Yeah it gets them used to the scent at a young age.

pups039.jpg

ALRIGHT MATE.

WHEN HE CATCHES JUST SIT DOWN AND RUBBER HIM.

TRY NOT TO MAKE A FUSS,SIT AND WATCH HIM,DONT CHASE HIM,

TO MUCH EMPHISIS ON TRYING TO ROB HIM OF HIS KILL,CATCH HE,LL STAY OUT OF RANGE.

HES STILL A PUP ,ONE TRACK MIND,

ITS MINE,

DONT SHOW ANY EMOTION,OTHER THAN GOOD DOG,

IF YOUR SITTING ON THE DECK,ONCE HES NOT GETTING NO ATTENTION HE,LL BRING IT IN TO GET THE PRAISE.

A FEW TIMES DOING THIS HE,LL TIPPLE :thumbs:

TRIAL/N/ERROR.ATB.:thumbs:

PATCIENCE PAYS DIVIDENDS.:thumbs:

sounds worth trying,thanks.