First Cross Collie x Greyhound

After reading alot of the posts regarding Hancock I was just wondering who else knows anyone who breeds genuine first cross's?

I would think that not many lurcher men keep either pure collie's or pure greyhounds? They would keep lurchers, so you would need to know someone with Grehounds who is prepaird to let you mate a collie to it or vice a versa. How easy is that to find?

Does anyone know of any other breeders?

Edited by minion

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi bud,

I actually have a Hancock dog and am more than happy with her. I would also go back to him but I just wondered what all the people who don't like Hancock expect people to do.

Hi,as you have one of his dogs and are happy with it,can you say whether his kennels are as bad as some people have said on this site,and if they are wouldn't it be better to stop buying from him for the good of the dogs...........if he was out of business then a decent breeder could take over as there is certainly a market for the crosses.

Just playing devils advocate,and not trying to upset anybody.....by the way I don't know anything about Hancock apart from what I have read in 'My life with lurchers'

I was just wondering who else knows anyone who breeds genuine first cross's?

I've noticed several litters advertised in the last couple of years, and heard of folk getting pups from one or two more that didn't need to be advertised.

I believe only recently there were two genuine first cross litters, pups from at least one of these litters were advertised in CMW last autumn.

Granted, these folk aren't breeding litters year in, year out, so timing is everything.

Why a "genuine" first cross anyway? There's been a couple of linebred litters in the last 2 years that seem to have produced some promising young lurchers. Again, timing is everything.

I suppose if you're after a collie/greyhound pup and the timing is wrong and you're not "in the know", then wading through the adverts and following them up, only to see litters that are either not as advertised or not what you want, could waste a bit of diesel. Then you've only patience to fall back on.

The demand that commercial breeders supply is impatience:........ "I want a particular (and 100% genuine), cross of lurcher pup....AND I WANT IT NOW!"

Edited by smallmouth

i have a greyhound bitch which i was going to put with my deerhound/greyhound , the bloke over the road as a merle collie but as standard pet , i was comsidering askin him to line his dog with my bitch as iv had a 1st x collie grey and she was priceless , to regards with this post they are a few in the yellow paper in north east , buh you dont see them adertised all time like some cross of lurchers.

Dale

Why would you breed to an untried and untested collie. The collie has not proved that it has any desired traits wanted in a running dog only its color, no different than hancock I'm afraid. I have raised fairly decent collies, 2004 nursery champ(Bergen quin) in the us and several top dogs and cattle dogs and I would not put them over a unraced or unproven greyhound.

Edited by Rocks

1st of all the greyhound as run on track , and the collie i was regarding about is from proven working lines , he works lurchers but chooses to keep the collie as a pet for his young 1 , didnt say i was DEFO going to line them , if you read it i said i was thinking about it , i have my deerhound/greyhound for the job, i have seen lurchers from pets be good dogs , no working lines , a JRT i new of was a pet then my mate put it to ground and worked great , yes it helps to have proven working strains but you can get the good working dog from UN proven lines to. there is no writtain rule sayin you can only work a dog from working parents.

Dale

Hi bud,

I actually have a Hancock dog and am more than happy with her. I would also go back to him but I just wondered what all the people who don't like Hancock expect people to do.

Hi,as you have one of his dogs and are happy with it,can you say whether his kennels are as bad as some people have said on this site,and if they are wouldn't it be better to stop buying from him for the good of the dogs...........if he was out of business then a decent breeder could take over as there is certainly a market for the crosses.

Just playing devils advocate,and not trying to upset anybody.....by the way I don't know anything about Hancock apart from what I have read in 'My life with lurchers'

Hi,

Fom memory the kennels themselves seemed okay, but it was the scrap yard that seemed really messy. The dogs seemed to be on good condition and they seemed to be kept dry.

I may have been there on the day that he tidyed up? but I wouldn't say they were that bad. More like they are messy. I had convinced myself that they were bad because of what people say, but when I actually think about it they weren't as bad as everyone makes out.

1st of all the greyhound as run on track , and the collie i was regarding about is from proven working lines , he works lurchers but chooses to keep the collie as a pet for his young 1 , didnt say i was DEFO going to line them , if you read it i said i was thinking about it , i have my deerhound/greyhound for the job, i have seen lurchers from pets be good dogs , no working lines , a JRT i new of was a pet then my mate put it to ground and worked great , yes it helps to have proven working strains but you can get the good working dog from UN proven lines to. there is no writtain rule sayin you can only work a dog from working parents.

Dale

I'm not saying that there are not good dogs from unproven parents. I am saying that you should breed to the best around. I did not say your dog was no good or untested not my intention. I am suprised that you would think of breeding your dog to an unproven dog. You are lucky to be in the [bANNED TEXT].K. The collies over there are the best in the world. Why not breed to a dog that has proven himself on the farm or an a trail feild with tough sheep. I hunt coyotes so have no use for a collie/grey but my son is getting into running rabbits so I was thinking of the cross for him. Att the end of the day it is up to whoever owns the dogs. I have a pit bull from a puppy mill that will go to ground after a coyote he is from a long line of unproven parents. I think there are enough untested dogs out there why breed them. I am not going to breed the dog because of his unknown genetics. How can you offer any soundness or working garuentee not my intetion to offend

I was just wondering who else knows anyone who breeds genuine first cross's?

I've noticed several litters advertised in the last couple of years, and heard of folk getting pups from one or two more that didn't need to be advertised.

I believe only recently there were two genuine first cross litters, pups from at least one of these litters were advertised in CMW last autumn.

Granted, these folk aren't breeding litters year in, year out, so timing is everything.

Why a "genuine" first cross anyway? There's been a couple of linebred litters in the last 2 years that seem to have produced some promising young lurchers. Again, timing is everything.

I suppose if you're after a collie/greyhound pup and the timing is wrong and you're not "in the know", then wading through the adverts and following them up, only to see litters that are either not as advertised or not what you want, could waste a bit of diesel. Then you've only patience to fall back on.

The demand that commercial breeders supply is impatience:........ "I want a particular (and 100% genuine), cross of lurcher pup....AND I WANT IT NOW!"

Good post and I see where you are comming from. I think timing is everything. Never even considered line breeding. To be honest, what I like about Hancock is you know he is selling you the cross you want.

get a good genuine line bred pup . ive had my line for many years and cant go past them and theyve never let me down great all rounders , illl be haveing one more littr this years and thatl do me

Hi Whin,

I may be wrong, but I think you are the guy I met at West Linton and again at Dunbar a few years back?

I had the lurcher, and at the time the plummer terrier.

If you are breeding your dog again I would be intrseted in buying a pup if possible? I relise that alot of them will have homes before they are born but if there are any left please let me know.

cheers

I used a Hancock stud alot of years ago, Wendell I think it was.. The farm was a little messy, with lots of colapsed chicken sheds, but the areas where the dogs were kept seemed to be fine.

I had a great litter of 12 and they all went to working homes and did well. The only other first cross breeder of Collie Greyhounds was aguy called David James. His dogs were supposed to be very good..