white hares

There is a white hare near me and I live in the fens!! Its actually a white brown hare and not a mountain hare. Must be some sort of genetic through back or something! Nice to see though.

It's obvious what's caused that.......... it heard Toby was coming with his dogs, turned white over night :laugh::tongue2:

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i if there is a lot of snow they will come down from the hill,s for easier feeding ect

It's obvious what's caused that.......... it heard Toby was coming with his dogs, turned white over night

My cousin was a game keeper up in west Scotland 8 Years ago his hills were littered with White hares, now there is not 1! Bags of 7 or 8 a day were not uncommon for years. No one seen a single White h for two years. Think the fact that birds of prey are protected there now has resulted in the buzzards etc wiping out the population! There are dozens flying around now. They are nice to watch but at the same time parasites for us dog men.We can't be certain but that seems to be the only logical reason as bad weather wouldn't wipe out every hare....

Guest bezza

I regularly travel on the A93 up to Aberdeen. Through Glenshee there's always plenty of white hare road kills. There must be a hell of a density of white hares there.

Incidentally they were very, very easy to catch with a running dog pre -ban.

I regularly travel on the A93 up to Aberdeen. Through Glenshee there's always plenty of white hare road kills. There must be a hell of a density of white hares there.

Incidentally they were very, very easy to catch with a running dog pre -ban.

Not all of them were very, very easy to catch.

I was invited out with Keepers years ago, I was running a Whippet X Greyhound I found them an easy quarry in the end, I leashed the dog.

You do get easy ones just like all quarry but you also got ones that took the piss. I've seen dogs straight lined by a white hare.

The scottish hare, is far more easy to catch, then the Irish hare, that's for sure. ;)

I've never done the irish hare mate so I take your word for it. Are you talking white or brown?

The scottish hare, is far more easy to catch, then the Irish hare, that's for sure. ;)

I've never done the irish hare mate so I take your word for it. Are you talking white or brown?

I am talking Irish, they are a different species. They sometimes reach the same size and weight as the brown and can at times run just as strong as the brown, but, the brown hare, is the strongest out the lot. :thumbs:

I ran BROWN hares in Ireland last year; and they were every bit as good as English brown hares. Wasn't lucky enough to see any Irish Hares.

Cheers.

They'll be the same as the Scottish brown hare too then :thumbs: