Keeping ferrets indoors

Big f**k off court in the garden! :thumbs:

:thumbs:

were theyre meant to be

:yes:

Except the two hobs have had to be removed and they are HATING it, didn't even know how to make a nest or look after themselves. At least they have amused themselves with a bit of homo-erotic wrestling. :laugh:

Hi mate,

Before I moved house I used to keep my ferrets inside all the time without any problems although both of my hobbs have been castrated. I know it might sound a bit poncey, but I used to bathe them every 6 weeks or so and apply deodorising ferret shampoo. It's important to do that if you bathe them to prevent them producing more oil to coat their fur which will actually make them smell more! It also helps to keep their litter tray very clean and change the bedding regularly (but I'm sure you do that anyway). I must say though that now I keep mine outside they do seem happier (and so does my wife!!), but it can be done!

Nath

you say to prevent them producing more oil.

the oil in their skin and coat isnt there to make them smell

it has natural oils to help them stay healthy and keep their coat in a good condition

im not saying you shouldnt bathe them its entirely up to you. but to wash away all their natural oils isnt going to do them any favours. same as humans we have oils in our skin we wash them away and our skin dehydrates and alot less healthy.

plus the stench of the ferrets lets the rabbits smell them faster and get out them holes faster also avoiding any kill ins.

Sorry, I probably didn't make that very clear - it's not actually shampoo, it's a spray on "conditioner" if you like, that replaces the natural oil to keep them healthy without their natural oils which obviously smell. I'm sure you are right about their natural smell bolting rabbits - obviously you will lose that advantage!

ahhh right :victory:

anyways i guess it helps some other people who might actually (wash their ferret :laugh: )

Ha ha! I sometimes blow dry and perm them too. My dog isn't quite what it used to be and finds it easier to catch the rabbits when they're rolling around laughing!

• Like 2

Hi mate,

Before I moved house I used to keep my ferrets inside all the time without any problems although both of my hobbs have been castrated. I know it might sound a bit poncey, but I used to bathe them every 6 weeks or so and apply deodorising ferret shampoo. It's important to do that if you bathe them to prevent them producing more oil to coat their fur which will actually make them smell more! It also helps to keep their litter tray very clean and change the bedding regularly (but I'm sure you do that anyway). I must say though that now I keep mine outside they do seem happier (and so does my wife!!), but it can be done!

Nath

you say to prevent them producing more oil.

the oil in their skin and coat isnt there to make them smell

it has natural oils to help them stay healthy and keep their coat in a good condition

im not saying you shouldnt bathe them its entirely up to you. but to wash away all their natural oils isnt going to do them any favours. same as humans we have oils in our skin we wash them away and our skin dehydrates and alot less healthy.

plus the stench of the ferrets lets the rabbits smell them faster and get out them holes faster also avoiding any kill ins.

Sorry, I probably didn't make that very clear - it's not actually shampoo, it's a spray on "conditioner" if you like, that replaces the natural oil to keep them healthy without their natural oils which obviously smell. I'm sure you are right about their natural smell bolting rabbits - obviously you will lose that advantage!

ahhh right :victory:

anyways i guess it helps some other people who might actually (wash their ferret :laugh: )

Ha ha! I sometimes blow dry and perm them too. My dog isn't quite what it used to be and finds it easier to catch the rabbits when they're rolling around laughing!

:laugh:

Ferrets outside is correct.

You also get issues with seasons due to over exposure to light. Surely that can't be good.

It's mainly the fluffy faggots that keep them indoors, I am sure they think they are hamsters or something.

You only have to look on ferretsforum to see what I mean some of the pillocks think they are children.

Also, anyone who breeds them is a menace it's quite funny really when they are the ones that want them in different colours for shows and certain members promote the mutant angorra ferret which shouldn't even be in existence,

Keep them in a court or large hutch in the garden.

As for Russell pt have you ever caught any rabbits?

Liam

You also get issues with seasons due to over exposure to light. Surely that can't be good.

It's mainly the fluffy faggots that keep them indoors, I am sure they think they are hamsters or something.

You only have to look on ferretsforum to see what I mean some of the pillocks think they are children.

Also, anyone who breeds them is a menace it's quite funny really when they are the ones that want them in different colours for shows and certain members promote the mutant angorra ferret which shouldn't even be in existence,

Liam

Wow i can't remember if i have caught any rabbits are they small furry things that live in the ground like bugs bunny. :doh:

Edited by russellpt6

Big f**k off court in the garden! :thumbs:

Wow you know everything about ferrets maybe you should write a book so i can pish myself laughing

f**k sake lads whats with the bitchy ness yous are like two owl dolls :yes:

Naaaaaaw he's just a c**t mate. :thumbs:

Liam

To be fair most ferrets are neutered that are kept indoors so photoperiod dosent really come into it

And a great deal aren't Kay.

Inside isn't for ferrets but I am not getting into an argument over that.

Agree to disagree there.

I think where you keep them is a very personal choice .. each to there own .. i cant keep ferrets in doors because of the dogs .. but i dont think it impedes there health in any major way if they are kept in doors .. there certainly no scientific data that i can find that states they are at risk health wise being kept inside ..

Its a choice people make simple as that :thumbs: