The Airgun Hunter's Year

Hi Guys.

Has anyone previewed this book? If it's worth buying, where's cheapest?

Are there any other books/ebooks/articles that layout a hunter's year/diary?

Maybe as part of a nature year or a farmer's year or even a poacher's year?

Stuff like the best time to go for pigeon or bunnies, ploughing time, stubble time etc?

Thanks Buster. Looks like a good read. Give me a story every time. I'll look out for it. Not what I'm looking for though.

I've been thinking about the difference between hunting for sport and pest control. On the one hand, letting birds and animals go through their breeding cycle ensures future sport whereas if you are contracted via "a permission" to control pests, there are no prisoners.

Until I get a decent sized permission (I've got a smallish one with no pressure to control pests.) I think I should be responsible for what I shoot and when I shoot it.

To this end I did a "net" search to learn something about how the quarry fits in with the farmers year etc and if there is a "preferable time to shoot it. For example pigeon apparently taste different according to what they've been feeding on and that depends on the time of year.

"The Airgun Hunter's Year" by Ian Barnett is the only month by month diary type book that I could find but I can't find any reviews on it.

I posted it here because we don't seem to have a book section and as it's "hunting" specific, I didn't think the target guys in the "general" section would want it there.

Firstly I commend your attitude towards your sport and the respect you are showing for your quarry.

To answer your question, 'Total Airgun Hunting' by Pete Wadeson has a section in which he takes you through the months of the calendar and what each month brings for the air gunner and the farmer/keeper. Its only a small part of an extensive book but it sounds like what you're after. Im gonna try to get my copy back off of a loan that has lasted FAR too long now, lol. Haven't read it in at least 2 years but imo a very worthwhile addition to any air riflemans bookshelf.

:good:

Firstly I commend your attitude towards your sport and the respect you are showing for your quarry.

To answer your question, 'Total Airgun Hunting' by Pete Wadeson has a section in which he takes you through the months of the calendar and what each month brings for the air gunner and the farmer/keeper. Its only a small part of an extensive book but it sounds like what you're after. Im gonna try to get my copy back off of a loan that has lasted FAR too long now, lol. Haven't read it in at least 2 years but imo a very worthwhile addition to any air riflemans bookshelf.

:good:

Thanks Hunter

I'm assuming this is the same book "Total Airguns: The Complete Guide to Hunting with Air Rifles". Amazon are offering it for £17.

On the basis that the usual .177 versus .22 or zeroing a scope etc has been done to death and is freely available everywhere on the"net", I think I would rather spend my hard earned on something more dedicated to the yearly cycle, preferably as it applies to airgun hunting. I've got a few DVD's on the hunting and the poaching and they all mention bits about this or that time of year but surely there's something out there that puts the hunting year together in one book and if not, why not.