pork and ferrets

As far as I'm aware the main reason why you shouldn't really feed any animal raw pork is the same reason why you need to make sure it's properly cooked before you eat it, pigs eat rats/mice etc. and therefore usually have worms, if your ferrets eat raw pork from a pig with worms they'll probably get worms aswell, that's what I thought anyway, I might be wrong though.

And Burny2011 is possibly the biggest cock on THL, and that is saying something!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a c**t! You keep going matey boy, you'll make a lot of friends round these parts with an attitude like that. And Mr Keyboard warrior, to be honest, i'm f*****g glad i don't live in or near whatev

ALL PORK GIVES FERRETS COLIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT I THOUGH THAT YOU WOULD NOW THAT IDEATION BEING AS THOW YOU NOW EVERY THING YOU F*****G MUPPIT AND THE SALT IS NO GOOD AS WELL BUT SALT IS GOOD FOR

Right - first off no need to be a rude little twat. Secondly - do you actually know what colic is?   The most common type of colic is spasmodic colic. This type is also known as gas colic and occur

I think it's the parasite side of things that put people off feeding raw pork. :yes: Pigs eat foods from a wide variety of different sources, so they are more likely to pick up an infection.

The whole Muslim/Jewish thing about not eating pork is that their religion forbids them to eat the flesh of an animal that feeds on flesh. Pigs being omnivorous, fall into that category. :thumbs:

I thought it was because they believed that you are what you eat and pigs eat shit so the pig is shit. It was started by the jews and copied by muslims. The fact that they are from hot countries and meat goes bad quicker there seems to make more sense, so does the bad hygene thoery though, that makes more sense than anything

Fresh uncured pork is fine as any other raw meat.. the bits to avoid are the ones with additives and salt : sausage, bacon, gammon ect.

The myth goes back years to when they had no means of storing the pork to keep it fresh ( no fridges/ freezers ).. so they kept it in salt

mine get pork, beef, rabbit, pigeon, squirrel and all the other stuff in the freezer :thumbs:

As far as I'm aware the main reason why you shouldn't really feed any animal raw pork is the same reason why you need to make sure it's properly cooked before you eat it, pigs eat rats/mice etc. and therefore usually have worms, if your ferrets eat raw pork from a pig with worms they'll probably get worms aswell, that's what I thought anyway, I might be wrong though.

And Burny2011 is possibly the biggest cock on THL, and that is saying something!!!!

The larvae that can be transmitted from pork products are those of species of roundworm (Trichina worm). However, hoping that the pigs have been adequately cared for before entering the foodchain i.e hygenic farm management, the risk of them having a worm burden is greatly reduced. In most cases, freezing the meat will inactive the worm larvae. If you are worried, just cook it thoroughly before feeding it to them.

Always best to use pork that hasn't been reformed/processed. These types of pork products carry a very high salt content. As far as I can recall, salt can cause cardiac problems in ferrets, even death can be quite probable.

To be honest, all raw meat carries the risk of transmitting internal (and external) parasites to animals.

I feed mine raw and cooked, depends whats on the menu at the time! Hope this helps.

I meant to reply to the guy that started the thread.....sorry!

All this talk of parasites in pork, but for those who dont freeze thier rabbits or meat before feeding, do these parasites in rabbits/meat not affect your ferrets? Rabbits sheep and cows all eat the same grass and pick up the same worms.

You can gut a rabbit and not find any sign of parasite infection ( well do you route through the guts and check the intestine?), not remove the pelt, so not discovering any cysts, or doing all of the above and still missing a cyst in the chest cavity or behind a muscle etc.

Yes parasites may be species specific but do you really know what your ferrets eating?

This topic has digrest from feeding pork to ferrets to parasites in pork.

It seems few know about the parasites in pork but do they know what the symptoms would be if your ferret was infected, or if a ferret was susceptible to the same parasite, i wouldnt personally know.

Just out of interest how many people check thier ferrets S*it regularly for worms?

I dont unless one of mine is showing signs of uncondition but this is very rare.

How many of us throw an un gutted rabbit in with the ferrets? parasites and all?

So back to the inital question, how do you know your ferret has worms or what do you do to protect your ferret against them or know what your protecting against?

All this talk of parasites in pork, but for those who dont freeze thier rabbits or meat before feeding, do these parasites in rabbits/meat not affect your ferrets? Rabbits sheep and cows all eat the same grass and pick up the same worms.

You can gut a rabbit and not find any sign of parasite infection ( well do you route through the guts and check the intestine?), not remove the pelt, so not discovering any cysts, or doing all of the above and still missing a cyst in the chest cavity or behind a muscle etc.

Yes parasites may be species specific but do you really know what your ferrets eating?

It seems few know about the parasites in pork but do they know what the symptoms would be if your ferret was infected, or if a ferret was susceptible to the same parasite, i wouldnt personally know.

Just out of interest how many people check thier ferrets S*it regularly for worms?

I dont unless one of mine is showing signs of uncondition but this is very rare.

How many of us throw an un gutted rabbit in with the ferrets? parasites and all?

So back to the inital question, how do you know your ferret has worms or what do you do to protect your ferret against them or know what your protecting against?

thats a very good point mate :thumbs: when im feeding rabbit to my ferrets i always gut and skin and freeze them :thumbs: and by doing this ive never had a problem with them having worms ;)

Parasites- Trinchina (roundworm), Cestoda (tapeworm), Dirofilaria immitis (heartworm) are some of the roundworm/threadworms & flatworms that can infect ferrets. Also Lungworms, Giardia Lamblia, Cyrptosporodium parvum & Coccidiosis are other internal parasites that can cause problems.

Causes - contact with infected animal faeces, contaminated/stagnant water, raw contaminated meat and external parasites such as fleas, ticks, & mosquitos. (Tick borne infections include Lymes & Weils disease, Encephalitis/Ehrlicha & Anaplasma)

Symptoms - Can include one of more of these symptoms depending on the parasite(s) present. Weightloss, lethargy, weakness, swollen/tender abdomen, vomiting, diahorrea, blood/mucus in faeces (advanced/severe cases worms in faeces), coughing, laboured breathing, wheezing, dehydration, dry brittle fur and paralysis.

Treaments - Can include Ivermectin, Advocate, Panacur, Flagyl & Albon. Always best to speak to a vet qualified in exotic animals, as ferrets fall into this category. The safety of use in ferrets may vary on vets opinion/experience.

Precautions include freezing meat,cooking meat thoroughly & daily health/condition checks for fleas & ticks. Depending on how often you feed meat in the summer in conjunction with how often you clean their hutch/toilet area, white/creamy 'grains' may be present in the ferrets faeces. These could be tapeworm segments or quite simply fly eggs. Personally, I clean my ferrets out twice daily in summer (always use a few sprays of disinfectant) and only feed meat after around 9pm and remove leftovers around dawn.

If you ever need to take your ferret to the vets for any reason, get them to check the heart as this is one of the easiest initial ways to detect heartworm.

*Ferrets can have small worm burdens and show no symptoms, as can many animals.*

I'm sure you already know about this, but this is the time of year ferrets moult and shed winter weight, sometimes loosing up to 30% of their winter weight. Not be be confused with worm burden. I'm sure you also already know ferrets are quite prone to heat stress/stroke, symptoms include panting, dehydration & lethargy, again not to be confused with worm burden. I always keep a large tray of water with a few icecubes thrown in over the summer months, plenty of shade and encourage them to drink plenty. Cold damp towels can also help keep them cool. Summers seem to be getting hotter and hotter!

Edited by ferret100