Shortening choked rifle barel

CZ 452 manual I read said you should not cut down the barrel because you would lose the accuracy given by the choke. It seems to me the modern shorter barrel is the most compelling reason to buy a modern CZ. Has anyone tried cutting down a longer cz and how did accuracy compare afterward?

Cheers,

Halam

CZ 452 manual I read said you should not cut down the barrel because you would lose the accuracy given by the choke. It seems to me the modern shorter barrel is the most compelling reason to buy a modern CZ. Has anyone tried cutting down a longer cz and how did accuracy compare afterward?

Cheers,

Halam

It's Marketing Bullshit!

Thousands of people have cut down their 452 and are VERY happy, how many have you ever heard of who cut their 452 and have ruined it? :hmm::hmm:

I remain unconvinced of this barrel choke situation on the 452, I have personally had several cut and I would not have any issue having my next cut!

Let me be clear here, the 452 is NOT a top target tool, it is a Field tool and works exceptionally well in this capacity, I have only ever found cutting improves the usability and I have never seen any loss of accuracy..or I would not keep doing it!

:thumbs:

CZ452 is a good tool for the job.

They make it with a 16" barrel as a 'factory' rifle.

Only loss on this to the 21" barrel is a bit of muzzel velocity I think.

Main drawback to going 'short' is the effect of the ammo on moderators, short barels may rip them out quicker ?

As far as I am aware the only thing that would need to be done if you do chop one down is to have it re - crowned.

Personally cant see why there is a need to go shorter than 16" apart from shooting from within a vehicle.

Rimfire magic have done some tests on barrel shortening on '22 rimfires I believe.

hello mate CZ did some testing on their rifles in the 452 range the reason was that most if not all their competitors use 16" or less barrels... they found that all the powder eeven in the higher powered ammo was burned up in the first 12" of the barrel and so any thing after that was a waste ...so they starting making the range with 16" barrels to see how they would go...supply could not match demand,no to your question.

most CZs out of the box are top shooters and contrary to belief they are accurate enough for target shooting although they are intended for hunting.

they have said CZ that is that it is not essential to be crowned if your barrel is shortened but people do generaly sub sonic ammo is so slow a crown on the muzzle makes no difference but it does look nicer mine are crowned but thats just me.

their is no choke in CZ barrels they are cold hammer forged and they all dont matter whether it is an American or a Varmint heavy barrel they tapper from the breach to the muzzle and you have to set them them correct in a lathe for cutting and threading...i threaded mine with the breach in the chuck and the barrel butted up to a live centre and a dial gauge set to make sure there was no run out turn down to correct diametre then thread always under cut the thread at the moderator seat then the mod will sit flat.

by the way CZ use the barrel at 16" so the rifle does not look stupid with to short a barrel and in this country there is a minimum length on barrels.

paul

Thanks Guys, as always you have been very helpful. Does anyone know which end of the chamber the barrel length is measured from should I decide to make it as short as I can? No particular reason, but sometimes I get the urge to experiment...

Cheers,

Halam

16" is a great length and it will take an "over the barrel" moderator such as DM80 "off the shelf" without too much increase in length.

If you are going to use a moderator such as SAK which screws onto the end, have the barrel cut to 14" or whichever length gives you about 1" clear beyond the end of the stock.

Chewing up the inside of a moderator is not really an issue with .22 subs. It does become more of a problem with HMR.

Accuracy is not affected by barrel length, certainly not in this case.

In practical terms any change in muzzle velocity will not be noticeable. Obviously you have to re-zero.

A long barrel with moderator is fractionally quieter than a short barrel with the same moderator (I have long and short .22 CZ) but you will only notice if you try side by side.

The short barrel wins my vote every time. (I think 12" is the legal minimum).

CZ do factory 16"

Anschutz do factory 14"

Les

Edited by dadioles

Anything over ~14" loses velocity. With the charge all consumed the friction in the barrel slows the bullet.

I'm open to correction here, but I believe that the legal minimim barrel length is 16" in Ireland, hence 16" on CZs.

Border Barrels, who know a bit about it, taper hone .22 barrels for use with lead bullets only. Jacketed supersonics will damage the rifling and the jacket. The improvement in accuracy is only noticeable on the range. The quicker swing of a shorter barrel is much more valuable in a field rifle.

Rimfire Magic supply a 12.5" carbon fibre barrel which is claimed to be the dog's naughty bits.

Legal minimum barrel length in the UK is 12"/30cm from the face of the receiver, with a minimum overall length of 24"/60cm.

Hacksaw blades anyone? :boogy:

Ric

[quote name='RicW' timestamp='1301389837' post='1993614'

Hacksaw blades anyone? :boogy:

There is a youtube video of a guy restoring the crown of a rifle using a brass round headed screw in a power drill with a bit of grinding past. The chap who always ends with 'and thats the way it is'. Seems to me his catchfrase sucks. Ah, found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorpZlG28fI

H

I think its a shame he didn't show us the accuracy before and after. The wiggle it about a bit method seemed a bit random but its accuracy that matters. If I ever do mine I'll leave an extra half inch in case I need it sorted professionaly...

H