ferrets and protein needs

These required proteins% that are being quoted :hmm: How do stoats and weasels etc in the wild manage? Venison is 34% protein and 6.5% fat but cant see them being on the menu,rabbit 27% and 8% fat,Pigeon 13% protein and 13.5% fat which dont match up to what is being quoted as needed protein for ferrets?

Y.I.S Leeview

Stoats and weasels are part of the Mustelidae family, as are otters/badgers/martens/polecats/minks & black footed ferrets and of course our domesticated ferrets, even mongoose and meercats are related. (other species may also be included!)

Point is, the dietary requirements of each species (although related) may be different. Many professionals agree that 'raw meat' diets for ferrets need supplementation. Considering the ferrets you have in your ownership now are 'domesticated' ferrets, in the sense that ferrets have been domesticated for around 2000 years now, they do not have a 'natural diet'.

It is therefore inappropriate to compare the diet of non-domesticated mustelidae members to domestictated ferrets. You may see your ferrets as natural hunters, which they are, but their dietary requirements have been altered through centuries of keeping them as domesticated working animals.

Not picking a fight, I'd be happy to hear you opinion.

BTW, not a weirdo on the internet at night, just waiting on collection to help treat a RTA horse!

Aye they have been domesticated for around 200 years, and how long has dried ferret food been available? You can supplement your ferrets diet with NATURAL stuff, fish, veg, egg, soya milk, varied meat, game, poultry etc. They were fed on bread and milk for longer than they have been fed dried food. And anyhow i'd be interested in how keeping them in runs for 2000 years, feeding them rabbits and hunting rabbits with them has altered their dietry requirements so that they need dried magic food?

Ferrets were domesitcated due to the fact they are natural hunters, same as dogs. They made catching rabbits to put on the plate much easier. Seeing as there was plenty of rabbit, may as well feed the ferrets on it too. Convenient and easy. No proof whatsoever that ferrets lived soley on rabbits when they were originally wild.

As obligate carnivores, bread, soya milk and veg has no nutritional value to ferrets at all, (apart from veg/cereals acting a roughage and some essential vits and fatty acids from soya). When fed bread and milk , it was cheap and easy, meant humans kept all the meat for themselves and the ferrets hungry for a proper meal on their next hunting trip.

Over centuries of domestication, selective breeding, and being fed what humans saw fit at the time, dietary requirements will have of course altered, that is as simple as evolution. Same as humans have evolved over the last few centuries due to lifestyle and diet changes.

In the last 2000 years, human intelligence and scientific research has advanced beyond recognition. Therefore, people much more intelligent than you or I have studied, researched and recorded the dietary requirements of every domesticated species on the planet, including ferrets.

That's why species specific dried food is available. Of course there is nothing wrong with feeding meat and supplementing with 'natural stuff', you can feed them how you see fit. Doesn't mean you are meeting their dietary requirements though, then again maybe you have it just right! :D

First things first - do us all a favour and stop trying to 'educate' us. I'm sure you know a lot about the history, and care of ferrets, their use in hunting, their wild cousions etc. But so do most of us.

There is certainly no proof that 'ferrets' lived on solely rabbits, in fact i would say there is rather a large amount of proof that 'polecats' eat whatever flesh they can get, a long with eggs, and water.

Few people feed only rabbits who feed a carcass diet, but supplement this with a wide range of different game - rabbit, pheasant, squirrel, venison, pigeon, chicken, the list goes on. This is due both to availability and also (for me) because rabbit has very little to no fat on it, so will only maintain body weight, and whilst working hard over winter, if only fed rabbit i notice mine lose some condition, due to energy expended working and keeping warm,. the birds however provide a much needed fat boost.

The carcass are also fed whole, so they get the eyes, innards, the grass from the rabbits stomach, bone, bone marrow, fur, whatever they need!

You say there is no nutritional value in veg and soya, but then go on to add the dietry benefits. I don't actually feed mine veg, as i dont believe they need it, given that they eat the rabbits stomach contents, but the soya milk, with egg, is a nice treat (nicer than ferret formula!) and also gives them some added vits and an energy boost, without making their stomach heavy.

We know why people fed bread and milk, and we know why it's wrong.

Again i would like to ask, how has their previous diet along the evolutionary track, altered them to have a need for dried food that has only been on the market in the last 20 years? Same with selective breeding. You selective breed by working trait, not by dietary preference, so if i breed best worker to best worker over 200 years, how does that change their dietry requirement?

Sheep have lived on grass a long time, and been domesticated a long time, and can still live on grass completely fine. They only need the stuff we add, like sheep nuts, due to the commercial nature of our farming industry.

And yes there ARE species specific dried foods available for most animals, but not made by some animal welfare research unit, everyone was developed and formulated by companies that wished to sell it. As for presuming that these people are 'much more intelligent than you or i'. . . . speak for yourself! And some equally intelligent scientists, not employed by any major company would also argue for a natural diet, i.e BARF for dogs. Most would agree that dried food was developed to provide owners with a less hassle, easy way to feed their animals, while still giving them WHAT THEY WOULD GET FROM THEIR NATURAL DIET!

There is also the fact that many argue that dried foods have been linked to cancers etc etc etc, teeth problems and so on.

I'd like to do a test, two ferrets, one fed on dry only and one on natural only, and i'll work them till one drops. . . . . . . see who goes first.

We have all been told that most things can give us cancer you just have to watch the news. As for scientist how many do you know and how does sweeping floors at a school qualify to speak about ferrets. Now tell us about how to replace a brush head and i will maybe listen. Thinking things up in your head does not make them right and as for me i am a little bit bored with your crap. So and your band of merry ferret owners should give it a rest and let it go.

I take it you used to be on here under a different name then ya coward.

Sweeping floors? hahaha. Don't pretend you know sweet F.A about me sunshine.

"As for me, i'm a little bit bored with your crap", and what crap would that be?

You know f**k all about ferrets.

Suck my balls.

Please watch you language with me as i am only 14 years old and you seem to be mixing me up with someone else. I think its time for you to get banned as maybe you are one of those men on here for another agenda. Stick to what you know best and keep your balls away from me pedo. I think my parents should know what you said.

"how does sweeping floors at a school qualify to speak about ferrets. Now tell us about how to replace a brush head and i will maybe listen. Thinking things up in your head does not make them right and as for me i am a little bit bored with your crap. So and your band of merry ferret owners should give it a rest and let it go."

Well, if your 14, some one should teach you some manners, you shouldn't be rude to your elders and betters. If your going to dish it out your going to have to learn to take it back. And if you call me a peado again, i will hunt you down and feed you to my dogs. Don't suppose your father is that tit that threatened to call the RSPCA because i was feeding a ferret meat?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you may THINK, you yourself said it, ferrets are obligate carnivores, they must eat the flesh of other animals in order to survive, so as such, the best diet is one that is made up of mixed w

Cant realy see the need for it all myself mate....I have kept ferrets for over 25 years and always fed them on game wether it be rabbit,pidgeon,pheasant or what ever i can get my hands on all winter a

Theres obviously a market for processed food .. one reason I stopped feeding it is the general health of the ferrets .. they became very fat & never had there heads out of the dishes ..   The se

These required proteins% that are being quoted :hmm: How do stoats and weasels etc in the wild manage? Venison is 34% protein and 6.5% fat but cant see them being on the menu,rabbit 27% and 8% fat,Pigeon 13% protein and 13.5% fat which dont match up to what is being quoted as needed protein for ferrets?

Y.I.S Leeview

Stoats and weasels are part of the Mustelidae family, as are otters/badgers/martens/polecats/minks & black footed ferrets and of course our domesticated ferrets, even mongoose and meercats are related. (other species may also be included!)

Point is, the dietary requirements of each species (although related) may be different. Many professionals agree that 'raw meat' diets for ferrets need supplementation. Considering the ferrets you have in your ownership now are 'domesticated' ferrets, in the sense that ferrets have been domesticated for around 2000 years now, they do not have a 'natural diet'.

It is therefore inappropriate to compare the diet of non-domesticated mustelidae members to domestictated ferrets. You may see your ferrets as natural hunters, which they are, but their dietary requirements have been altered through centuries of keeping them as domesticated working animals.

BTW, not a weirdo on the internet at night, just waiting on collection to help treat a RTA horse!

Aye they have been domesticated for around 200 years, and how long has dried ferret food been available? You can supplement your ferrets diet with NATURAL stuff, fish, veg, egg, soya milk, varied meat, game, poultry etc. They were fed on bread and milk for longer than they have been fed dried food. And anyhow i'd be interested in how keeping them in runs for 2000 years, feeding them rabbits and hunting rabbits with them has altered their dietry requirements so that they need dried magic food?

Ferrets were domesitcated due to the fact they are natural hunters, same as dogs. They made catching rabbits to put on the plate much easier. Seeing as there was plenty of rabbit, may as well feed the ferrets on it too. Convenient and easy. No proof whatsoever that ferrets lived soley on rabbits when they were originally wild.

As obligate carnivores, bread, soya milk and veg has no nutritional value to ferrets at all, (apart from veg/cereals acting a roughage and some essential vits and fatty acids from soya). When fed bread and milk , it was cheap and easy, meant humans kept all the meat for themselves and the ferrets hungry for a proper meal on their next hunting trip.

Over centuries of domestication, selective breeding, and being fed what humans saw fit at the time, dietary requirements will have of course altered, that is as simple as evolution. Same as humans have evolved over the last few centuries due to lifestyle and diet changes.

In the last 2000 years, human intelligence and scientific research has advanced beyond recognition. Therefore, people much more intelligent than you or I have studied, researched and recorded the dietary requirements of every domesticated species on the planet, including ferrets.

That's why species specific dried food is available. Of course there is nothing wrong with feeding meat and supplementing with 'natural stuff', you can feed them how you see fit. Doesn't mean you are meeting their dietary requirements though, then again maybe you have it just right! :D

First things first - do us all a favour and stop trying to 'educate' us. I'm sure you know a lot about the history, and care of ferrets, their use in hunting, their wild cousions etc. But so do most of us.

There is certainly no proof that 'ferrets' lived on solely rabbits, in fact i would say there is rather a large amount of proof that 'polecats' eat whatever flesh they can get, a long with eggs, and water.

Few people feed only rabbits who feed a carcass diet, but supplement this with a wide range of different game - rabbit, pheasant, squirrel, venison, pigeon, chicken, the list goes on. This is due both to availability and also (for me) because rabbit has very little to no fat on it, so will only maintain body weight, and whilst working hard over winter, if only fed rabbit i notice mine lose some condition, due to energy expended working and keeping warm,. the birds however provide a much needed fat boost.

The carcass are also fed whole, so they get the eyes, innards, the grass from the rabbits stomach, bone, bone marrow, fur, whatever they need!

You say there is no nutritional value in veg and soya, but then go on to add the dietry benefits. I don't actually feed mine veg, as i dont believe they need it, given that they eat the rabbits stomach contents, but the soya milk, with egg, is a nice treat (nicer than ferret formula!) and also gives them some added vits and an energy boost, without making their stomach heavy.

Again i would like to ask, how has their previous diet along the evolutionary track, altered them to have a need for dried food that has only been on the market in the last 20 years? Same with selective breeding. You selective breed by working trait, not by dietary preference, so if i breed best worker to best worker over 200 years, how does that change their dietry requirement?

Sheep have lived on grass a long time, and been domesticated a long time, and can still live on grass completely fine. They only need the stuff we add, like sheep nuts, due to the commercial nature of our farming industry.

And yes there ARE species specific dried foods available for most animals, but not made by some animal welfare research unit, everyone was developed and formulated by companies that wished to sell it. As for presuming that these people are 'much more intelligent than you or i'. . . . speak for yourself! And some equally intelligent scientists, not employed by any major company would also argue for a natural diet, i.e BARF for dogs. Most would agree that dried food was developed to provide owners with a less hassle, easy way to feed their animals, while still giving them WHAT THEY WOULD GET FROM THEIR NATURAL DIET!

There is also the fact that many argue that dried foods have been linked to cancers etc etc etc, teeth problems and so on.

I'd like to do a test, two ferrets, one fed on dry only and one on natural only, and i'll work them till one drops. . . . . . . see who goes first.

We have all been told that most things can give us cancer you just have to watch the news. As for scientist how many do you know and how does sweeping floors at a school qualify to speak about ferrets. Now tell us about how to replace a brush head and i will maybe listen. Thinking things up in your head does not make them right and as for me i am a little bit bored with your crap. So and your band of merry ferret owners should give it a rest and let it go.

"As for me, i'm a little bit bored with your crap", and what crap would that be?

Suck my balls.

Please watch you language with me as i am only 14 years old and you seem to be mixing me up with someone else. I think its time for you to get banned as maybe you are one of those men on here for another agenda. Stick to what you know best and keep your balls away from me pedo. I think my parents should know what you said.

Gett this dick head off! This is the kind of shit we do not need! How the feck can a 14yr(as if) nerd come on here telling fella's how to look after things, then go crying to who ever. My lad would get a crack if i found him stirring trouble at that age amonst adults! And to call are fellow hunters peado's is band out of order. This is a twat hiding behind a name and i hope the report buton has been used!

As for this post, well hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... I would rather suck kenny daglishs baLLs(and i cant stand him) rather than read so much bolloxs!!

In years gone by, ferrets were fed on bread and milk, then rabbit after they had worked........

What you need to do brundy is write all your garbage and seal it away in a safety deposit box and ask for it only to be read when your long gone. At least then you'll be remembered as a comedian, and a funny guy who could always make people laugh.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Y.I.S Leeview

Suck my balls.

Gett this dick head off! This is the kind of shit we do not need! How the feck can a 14yr(as if) nerd come on here telling fella's how to look after things, then go crying to who ever. My lad would get a crack if i found him stirring trouble at that age amonst adults! And to call are fellow hunters peado's is band out of order. This is a twat hiding behind a name and i hope the report buton has been used!

As for this post, well hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...... I would rather suck kenny daglishs baLLs(and i cant stand him) rather than read so much bolloxs!!

In years gone by, ferrets were fed on bread and milk, then rabbit after they had worked........

What you need to do brundy is write all your garbage and seal it away in a safety deposit box and ask for it only to be read when your long gone. At least then you'll be remembered as a comedian, and a funny guy who could always make people laugh.. :thumbs:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The schools are on holiday now ??? the crazy period is here laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Aye the schools are out mate, but let's be honest some of these posts are written by folk that left school a long time ago.:whistling: