how long before a lines called your own

before anyone starts im not planning on breeding or starting my own line im just inquiring as whenever a post comes up about someones line of terriers some smart arse comes out with "its not his line he got it from such and such blah blah bollocks" so how many generations do they have to of bred before it becomes there own line, many of the famous ones such as park and nuttal came from buck and brey so everyones got to start somewhere.

Isn't it only other people who call the breeding of dogs "so and so's line"?

The blokes I've met are quite humble about it all, one man I know kept a strain of terriers for over 50 years yet still acknowledged where he got his originals from.

A case of the internet giving fame to those who don't want it maybe?

How's you anyway Tim? Did those warts clear up? :thumbs:

before anyone starts im not planning on breeding or starting my own line im just inquiring as whenever a post comes up about someones line of terriers some smart arse comes out with "its not his line he got it from such and such blah blah bollocks" so how many generations do they have to of bred before it becomes there own line, many of the famous ones such as park and nuttal came from buck and brey so everyones got to start somewhere.

a line begins from offspring out of sire x dam bred by yourself.

Guest busterdog

As Steve says, once you've made the decision to put dog A over bitch B your on your way, but you should always give credit where credit is due, the family of dogs i have have been in my yard for twenty years but i still call them NS's, even though i've bred my own for years they're still based on dogs from his yard.

Edited to say, i think someone calling a line of dogs a line is just a label, they're continously evolving.

:notworthy:

As Steve says, once you've made the decision to put dog A over bitch B your on your way, but you should always give credit where credit is due, the family of dogs i have have been in my yard for twenty years but i still call them NS's, even though i've bred my own for years they're still based on dogs from his yard.

Edited to say, i think someone calling a line of dogs a line is just a label, they're continously evolving.

Amen to that... :notworthy:

I always considered a "Line" to be specific.

A "Sire Line" or a "Dam Line" back to a certain dog in the pedigree.

As Steve said once you start with a certain Dog "A" you have the potential to keep a line to him.

IMO What Mr.Parks got off Mr.Breay was a "Type", he may or may not have kept a line.

But he did keep the type. He could do this by selecting different sires with the same type.

IMO What Mr.Nuttall did was create a "Strain". Bringing in Staff types,Inbreeding to lock in the new type,

selecting for a small size/colour for the American market.

Someone gave these strains the name "Patterdale".

(I am guessing they never saw a photograph of the Patterdale Type at the Ullswater/Coniston kennels in the 1920's)

ATB

Edited by p3d
  • Like 1

They can catch MY LINE SYNDROME at any time, some catch it as they 1st start out, others it takes time to come out. I think alot catch it from dirty money, while others get it after having their ego's boosted.

Terriers have been here a long time, we are only looking after what is already made, we are not making something new. Everyone gets their terriers from someone eleses kennels and this has been going on for hundreds of years

• Like 2