Mrs Mole's Day Out

Right first we got to the permission, parked close to a road as we knew the track was only passable for 4x4s and tractors! Decided to carry guns down in the cases, as we were so close to the road and even though we had notified the police we did not want to test their reactions. Walking quietly down, white tails everywhere! Haring left right and centre! Bunnies everyblastedwhere other than the land we had permission on in fact! Cheesed off.

Unfortunately the wind was blowing down the track to the road, so bunnies hopping left into a garden or right onto land where we had no permission! I could swear the little blighters were getting ready to start passing round the carrot and beetroot juice cocktails and get the sun loungers out. Stalked the entire perimeter of our permission! No bunnies, but we saw a darned freshly used burrow in the field so I phoned our friendly farmer and marked it with a stick so he can fill the damned thing up! Checked that was what he wanted todo with it so I did it.

We had to go and retrieve mother from her mother's flat so we could not stick around for dusk, but we got to know the lie of the land and where the rabbits are. They are not in the bit where we have permission, the swines are predominantly on the access track and legging it to the field! Bunny Towers (a 4 foot high warren in an old earth mound dumped by someone), is on the track where we had no permission.

I say had, packing up to rescue mother from urine and gin fumes, I spied someone in the land driving round in a Landrover! So I took the opportunity to present myself in my NBC camo and asked the gentleman if he knew he had a rabbit problem, unrepeatable expletive did he? Why was I asking? Could we have permission to shoot on his land where the rabbits are? Of course we could, feel free, shoot on the track, on that field, anywhere you see rabbits, they are in the brambles and the bank, so go ahead, make his day.

So although we saw loads but could not get a shot off, we now have the additional permission, know where they are hiding and can get them from two sides now!

Just out of interest, Why and How did you Notify the police ?

Phone the county police contact center tell where and when and what weapon get a Ref No can save hassle should some do'gooder dials 999 I always get a Ref No If someone phones the plod and reports someone creeping around with a gun the contact center will ring and check if you are still there before sending out a copter and armed responce

We can be overseen walking to and from the field from a road and a house, if they are the nervous sort they might report us to the police, if the police have notification of 2 people with rifles hunting rabbits they are less likely to send up a helicopter, arv and dog unit. I am allergic to Heckler and Kock armaments being waved in front of my face whilst a large and playful German Shepherd is trying to remove my arm from the shoulder. They give you an incident number, so if you are approached by someone waving a sidearm or a German Shepherd you can give them the reference number and you are OK!

The police round here are very friendly about it and quite a good laugh. From personal experience I know that reporting someone waving a BB gun around by a roadside elicits a damned fast response. Some teens were loosing one off near King's Lynn Golf Club, lunging out of the bushes and firing or pretending to fire at cars. I phoned the police and they sent an arv down and arrested the tools!

Edited to say I do not know how much use it would be to give the German Shepherd an incident number though!

Edited by secretagentmole

Just out of interest, Why and How did you Notify the police ?

hi Dia

ring local police,tell them you are doing some pest control with sub 12ft/lbs air rifles.at your permission(address)

and you would like a U.R.N number unique reference number.

they will take your name address DOB and vehicle index number,and will ask time commencing and finishing.in turn they will give you a four digit number with the days date on it.i usually log it in my phone,and stick it in my windscreen.i always give them my mobile number in case they do decided to turn up unannounced.

if some one was to report seeing you in a field with a rifle,first thing they do is ring the police.they will then check all U.R.N and ring the busy body who reported you and explain you are there doing pest control,and you dont get a visit from the armed response unit,which i can tell you is not nice!!

hope this helps

regards

davy