Is there big pike in the lake???

Looking for views on a topic that has been bothering me!!!

Me and the mate are in a debate over whether or not a lake can only hold small pike, and no big pike???

A couple of spots we fish only ever catches small pike,nothing over 10 lb, which would lead us to believe there are no big pike in the lake! plus other people that have fished the same spots for years seem to be under the same impression!

In my mind if the lake is able to hold loads of small pike and pike being a cannabalistic species, would it not make sense that larger pike would develop by feeding from bait fish and there own kind?

The lake is also large enough that in theory should have no problem holding and supporting big fish!

Maybe you could share our own views on this topic, cheers dabigmc!

p.s. go on muddog you salmon of knowledge blow us away with your wisdom,lol! :tongue2:

i thought the same about a small lake ive fished for since i was a kid and all we ever got was jacks 2 6lb (14 years later) til this year and ive had a couple of low doubles and the farm labourer got a 19! there are very few bait fsh in it few perch and eels, my theory on it now is the big girls are full of jacks and not bothered by a wee bit of mackerel tail

i thought the same about a small lake ive fished for since i was a kid and all we ever got was jacks 2 6lb (14 years later) til this year and ive had a couple of low doubles and the farm labourer got a 19! there are very few bait fsh in it few perch and eels, my theory on it now is the big girls are full of jacks and not bothered by a wee bit of mackerel tail

That would make sense alrite!!!

Glad to hear somebody under similar circumstances! cheers mate! :thumbs:

Hello mate,

Have read that in lakes where people kill pike, you can get an "explosion" of jacks. As these are not being taken by the big girls. Do you know for sure that there are no anglers bashing them over the head or taking the big ones away? Its just a thought and i bet this practice still goes on in some places. :wallbash: There are still people arond that think the only good pike is a dead pike :wallbash:

da big mc. no two lakes are the same. that small one i showed you is very shallow and holds a few bait fish though there is no big fish in it. probably the biggest pike would be 15lbs tops. the good deep lake we fish holds big big pike as you've seen. now its a total different scenario altogether. yes i do believe the pike in it are cannibalistic, though there obviously is a natural food source there for them also. just maybe not plentiful. we've caught loads of fish out of it with large scars were bigger pike have had a go at them. there's a lot of things to take into consideration. depth of the lake, light penetration, what type of bottom is on the lake etc. after fishing for small coarse fish at least four different times using all methods and not one fish caught between us all. i think thats enough evidence to sujjest there isn't much bait fish present in the lake. just my opinion. i think there is wild brown trout in the lake and that could be there diet. plus the smallest pike i've seen out if it was 4lbs. no smaller. its a wierd one i know, but thats what i think anyway. good luck fishlips....... :D

Hello mate,

Have read that in lakes where people kill pike, you can get an "explosion" of jacks. As these are not being taken by the big girls. Do you know for sure that there are no anglers bashing them over the head or taking the big ones away? Its just a thought and i bet this practice still goes on in some places. :wallbash: There are still people arond that think the only good pike is a dead pike :wallbash:

The lake is very secluded...not many people know bout the lake, to my knowledge anyway!

Anytime i am at the lake i check it for signs of disturbance, i.e. footmarks, line,disturbed vegetation, there never is any!

I have also plumbed the depth, it is over 20ft deep quite soon from the edge...maybe there just arnt big pike in it, but i just cant understand why? :hmm:

more theories to think over now! was at 'that' lake today and got 7 pike to no more than 3 lb max! (neilnbeanie i hope not! its not really fished as the farm hand keeps a sharp eye on it as he shoots ducks from it) stil better than a blank by a long shot but think ill try somewhere different next week! good thread dabigmc

Edited by armchair _hunter

Dabigmc is there a river runing in or out if it,most lakes i fished for pike seem to hold bigger pike if there is,could be something to do with a better supply of food or fresher water.

no, It is fed by water off the hills, maybe a natural spring somewere!

But no rivers in or out! that is another good possible reason! Cheers. :thumbs:

more theories to think over now! was at 'that' lake today and got 7 pike to no more than 3 lb max! (neilnbeanie i hope not! its not really fished as the farm hand keeps a sharp eye on it as he shoots ducks from it) stil better than a blank by a long shot but think ill try somewhere different next week! good thread dabigmc

Cheers lad, nice to share theories and other ppls fishing knowledge!

Can sometimes give us that extra edge over our piscatorial comrades,lol! :thumbs:

Dabigmc is there a river runing in or out if it,most lakes i fished for pike seem to hold bigger pike if there is,could be something to do with a better supply of food or fresher water.

no, It is fed by water off the hills, maybe a natural spring somewere!

But no rivers in or out! that is another good possible reason! Cheers. :thumbs:

there's two drains running into it :D