HW77K...

Hi all, i don't post enough on here so thought I'd tell you all about my new purchase.

I have just bought a Weirhauch HW77K in .22 and love it!! Its fairly old (about 1986 i was told) but in excellent condition with only a few minor marks on the stock and the blueing has worn a bit on the cocking lever but nothing serious, just adds to its character i think. It came with a 4-12x50 AO Nikko Stirling Mountmaster scope and silencer (which i didn't like the look of so i removed) , all for the price of £175 which i thought was a good deal? I am thinking of putting open sights on it though as i do like using them and don't think a scope looks quite right on it (if anyone has a rear sight surplus to requirements let me know :thumbs: ) Also i was wondering if the v-mach kits are worth the money? The guy i bought it from said it had never been opened up so i guess it would benefit from a bit of a service?

Anyway, here's a pic, let me know what you think :thumbs:

100_0530.jpg

100_0529.jpg

100_0527.jpg

Hi mate, i am really impressed with the condition of mine considering its age. I cant wait to get out with it and give it a proper try out. I looked at the cold reblueing kits and they look fairly straightforward to use, there is a video on here somewhere? I was thinking of doing mine but actually like the aged look and its not really that bad.

ATB

Hi Bud.

What a beauty you have here! Looks to be in remarkable condition for a rifle of around 25 years of age. I'm an absolute disciple of Weihrauch spring rifles and the HW77 is a masterpiece of precision accurate shooting with tough durability. Considering how superbly well some really poorly looked-after examples can still shoot, this one you have here must be an absolute beauty. Certainly looks it. Other than a bit of wear on the cocking lever and a few visible dinks in the stock, it looks a lot younger than it actually is. Doesn't look like it's had a lot of use or, the original owner looked after it well. It wouldn't take a great deal to restore her to pristine condition; judging from these pictures.

I cannot swear by a V-Mach kit installation, never used or needed one but, if this was mine and tuning was on the cards, I'd have a word with Tony Wall at Sandwell Field Sports. A number of spring rifle chaps here really rate his work. For £70 he does an amazing full strip-down polish, hone and re-spring tune. Producing a rifle that is smoother and quieter to cock and absolutely consistent and superbly accurate. I have a new HW77 .22 full length rifle I'm just getting through running in and it's an amazing thing to shoot with. That's where my 77 is going once I can stop my dear woman from commandeering all my spare cash!

All the best with it.

Simon

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply. If i do go down the tuning route I'll definitely give Tony Wall a ring :thumbs: I will take it out and give it a good testing first before i decide on anything though and run it through the chronograph and see how its performing.

Like you say i think it would be an easy job to restore to near perfect condition. I like how it looks, nicely worn in. If it got worse or started to rust at all then i probably would do something about it.

Do the silencers make much of a difference to the noise on these? There was one on it when i bought it but was only about 3 inches long and i can't imagine it did anything. I took it off straight away though as it did nothing for the looks of the gun. Also i will add open sights i think or at least a scope with a smaller objective lens so i can get it closer to the gun. I find when i shoulder the rifle i have to move my head up every time to clearly see through the scope which is uncomfortable.

Thanks, Paul.

Hi Paul.

If you have to move your head up to an uncomfortable position to allow your eye align with the scope you have, you have very poor Gunfit. Not good! Ditch the 50mm scope and go for a 40mm on the lowest mounts available. If you need a bit more raiser on your head alignment, go to medium. But I honestly do not think you'll need mediums. I thoroughly recommend you have a look at what Bushnell have in the way of 4-14x40mm or 6-18x40mm AO; the perfect scope specs for these rifles; in keeping the reticle as close to the bore-centre and maximising accuracy. I don't recommend Hawke for you at all Paul. They are very good for the money but, the eye relief is longer than can be accomodated in the mount by the arrestor holes in the rifle cylinder. The 44mm objective focus rings need high mounts to clear the upper surface of the rifle and that brings you back to square one. The Weihrauch stock is a very good one for meeting the dual requirement of open-sight as well as scope shooting. Because of this, the butt comb and length of pull means you don't need high mounted large objective lens scopes. These can adversely affect the ballance and handling of the rifle as well as its looks!

The very best scope I ever found for my Weihrauch spring rifles bar none, was the Simmons Whitetail Classic, Supernightview 4.5-14x40 AO. Alas no longer made but, if you come across one on the second hand market, snap it up. I bought one when brand new 11 years ago when I bought my HW80 rifle. I still have both wedded together still to this day and, it still performs with the same superb precision zero accuracy and reliability on this FAC-tuned spring rifle as it did on day-1. I had a stroke of good luck to find one gathering dust in the corner of a gunshop among a pile of tat. It's on my HW77 and keeps handling, ballance and accuracy absolutely perfect.

You should get a rear sight unit no problem from Hull Cartridge and I commend you for wanting to keep it real. I practice with my open sights on my HW77 and HW80 .22 rifles as I don't want to lose the skills I had when I was a much younger fella and, with scopes now more commonplace than ever before, it a skill a lot of shooters either won't have an appreciation of, or, they might lose with the passage of time.

With regard to that silencer. This one you have sounds like one that Bisley make for the HW77. Comes on an adaptor held in place with a grubscrew. It's not universally well-liked and it's little other than a bolt-on muzzle-brake. There is a German made silencer out there that's way better but, I love mine the way it is without sticking extra bits of metal on it for no real advantage as far as I can make out.

I would focus on keeping this rifle looking good and shooting superbly Paul. Congratulations mate, you have a real beauty here.

All the best.

Simon

Hi Simon, Thanks for such a helpful and informative post, some good information there i will take on board :thumbs:

The silencer was push on but had no grub screw, i will try and get a pic up at some point, i will keep hold of it but not sure I'll put it back on.

I love shooting with open sights. When i was younger i had a .22 BSA Meteor my dad got me from a bootfair for £15. I used it all the time with open sights as i couldn't afford a scope and found they were really accurate and i enjoyed using them. One day the farmer was clearing out the cow shed on the farm behind our house and asked if i wanted to shoot any mice he exposed. Obviously i jumped at the chance and had the best days shooting ever! I must have shot around 200 mice all with my open sight meteor using eley wasps. I got so comfortable using that gun i even took all the sights off it and could shoot fairly accurately just looking down the barrel. Can't do it now though but then i did shoot the same gun every day, and spent almost my whole weekends shooting. It will be nice to have an open sight gun again, I've even considered getting the diopter sights for my S200.

Thanks, Paul.

Hi Bud

My 77k was V - Mach/Venom tuned about 20 years ago by the previous owner and is still putting out 11.6 ft.lb's with amazing accuracy. I think that's amazing quality, considering.

Enjoy the gun mate, you'll never want to part with it if you're anything like me. I'd keep the scope on as the gun is so much more than 20m target basher and can deliver at astonishing ranges once you get used to it. Why limit yourself!

Hi Bud

My 77k was V - Mach/Venom tuned about 20 years ago by the previous owner and is still putting out 11.6 ft.lb's with amazing accuracy. I think that's amazing quality, considering.

Enjoy the gun mate, you'll never want to part with it if you're anything like me. I'd keep the scope on as the gun is so much more than 20m target basher and can deliver at astonishing ranges once you get used to it. Why limit yourself!

Thanks for the reply, i will test it with the chronograph this weekend hopefully and see what sort of power it's running at, that will help me make my mind up about tuning. I don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon, i like it too much, i can't stop holding it and admiring it :icon_redface:

As for the scope, i will get a scope more suited to me or my style which ever it may be but want open sights. I don't see open sights as limiting, i have PCP's for serious hunting and longer range shooting. It's more the feeling i get using open sights, it gives me a real sense of achievement using them that i just don't get using a scope.

On the subject of scopes, are Simmons pro hunter 4-12x40 SF any good? And would one of these scopes suit this gun?

Many Thanks, Paul.

I never used a Pro Hunter scope but, given the great results I've had with Simmons Bud, I would imagine it would be fine for your HW77 :thumbs:

Simon

Thanks Simon, if it's good enough for you then I'm sure it'll be more than good enough for me :thumbs:

I'm in no rush to buy a scope yet as i will mainly be using open sights, but will have a scope for when i want it.