Horse back with MC Hammer

We left just as first light came up and headed over to Up Hill’s neck of the desert to a piece that has been shut down to all motorized traffic, hence no coyote rigs. We had along 8 Stags and 3 horses. It was clear and bright compared to the ride last week. I think we rode for a good hour without seeing much with our faces in the wind. We came through a BLM gate and I don’t think it was 10 minutes Capps, and then Hammer spotted a big black coyote heading southwest back into the section we just came from... Literally not more than 10 minutes before this we had a conversation about how bad the badger holes were, they were everywhere lol and it would be crazy to take a horse through this at any rate of speed lol. My horse had been on his knees twice already just walking through them. Hammer kicked that horse a just galloped away as did Capps with Peppe. So I said WTF and let her go. That coyote was lost but the dogs almost snagged a badger before he went to ground. We rode with the wind and we saw several more coyotes get up in front of us 400yards plus with little or no chance of getting a run... Capps suggested we loop and get the wind in our faces again. When we did this it wasn’t 10-15 minutes a coyote got up in front and was run down with the Brownie dog making the catch. Which by the way that dog hunted his ass off today! With 8 on the ground it was over 1, 2, 3 but the surprise was Husk a dog Capps bred and is 9 months old had the throat! About 10 minutes after we saddled up again we had a mosh pit on a badger with some dogs getting the business end including Husk but it did nothing to put him off. It was 20 minutes later we came upon another badger this one was BIG really big It got a free pass and we let it go to ground as the dogs were tired and hot with two miles back to the truck,. It was a little slice of heaven right there, big thanks to the boys for letting tag along.

lil nothin special vid-

030111001.jpg

030111002.jpg

030111006.jpg

030111007.jpg

030111011.jpg

030111012.jpg

That looks like great sport and great fun, some good looking dogs you have what sort of breading are they , and how big. Me and my wife hope to come over next year on a horse back holiday and maybe some varmint shooting fingers crossed have fun.

Quality photos there. :thumbs: That land looks dry: if you were hunting over here dogs and horses would be shoulder high in mud at the moment! LOL

I was reading up about those Pasos after your last post: they are supposed to be great for long rides with their very smooth action, aren't they? And docile too. Do a lot of hunters use them where you are? I can't imagine heaven being any more perfect than riding out across land like that on a horse with a bunch of good dogs around you.

great sport you cant beat the west big prairies not a do gooder in site freedom as they say no c**t putting there ten pence in ,was up ata furriers they get money for coyotes badgers etc but have to be trapped or clean killed ,nothing worse than the american badger get te dogs wound up as they are pesky and hang about at times i wonder if the cattle ranchers have the tb like the british badgers have in areas

what a fantastic way to spend the day!! photos looked amazing and i really enjoyed the read but then i always have when you'v posted,, great to see horse and dog being well looked after and doing what their meant to do, many thanks for sharing, can't wait for more! all the very best fallow x x x

We left just as first light came up and headed over to Up Hill’s neck of the desert to a piece that has been shut down to all motorized traffic, hence no coyote rigs. We had along 8 Stags and 3 horses. It was clear and bright compared to the ride last week. I think we rode for a good hour without seeing much with our faces in the wind. We came through a BLM gate and I don’t think it was 10 minutes Capps, and then Hammer spotted a big black coyote heading southwest back into the section we just came from... Literally not more than 10 minutes before this we had a conversation about how bad the badger holes were, they were everywhere lol and it would be crazy to take a horse through this at any rate of speed lol. My horse had been on his knees twice already just walking through them. Hammer kicked that horse a just galloped away as did Capps with Peppe. So I said WTF and let her go. That coyote was lost but the dogs almost snagged a badger before he went to ground. We rode with the wind and we saw several more coyotes get up in front of us 400yards plus with little or no chance of getting a run... Capps suggested we loop and get the wind in our faces again. When we did this it wasn’t 10-15 minutes a coyote got up in front and was run down with the Brownie dog making the catch. Which by the way that dog hunted his ass off today! With 8 on the ground it was over 1, 2, 3 but the surprise was Husk a dog Capps bred and is 9 months old had the throat! About 10 minutes after we saddled up again we had a mosh pit on a badger with some dogs getting the business end including Husk but it did nothing to put him off. It was 20 minutes later we came upon another badger this one was BIG really big It got a free pass and we let it go to ground as the dogs were tired and hot with two miles back to the truck,. It was a little slice of heaven right there, big thanks to the boys for letting tag along.

lil nothin special vid-

030111001.jpg

030111002.jpg

030111006.jpg

030111007.jpg

030111011.jpg

030111012.jpg

lil nothin special vid-

030111001.jpg

030111002.jpg

030111006.jpg

030111007.jpg

030111011.jpg

030111012.jpg

On horse back with a pack of lurchers,,got to be a buzz :thumbs::thumbs:

That looks like great sport and great fun, some good looking dogs you have what sort of breading are they , and how big. Me and my wife hope to come over next year on a horse back holiday and maybe some varmint shooting fingers crossed have fun.

They are Stag Hounds [uSA} bred to run down and dispatch coyotes. They go from 65-95 plus but the norm is 75-85lbs.

Quality photos there. :thumbs: That land looks dry: if you were hunting over here dogs and horses would be shoulder high in mud at the moment! LOL

I was reading up about those Pasos after your last post: they are supposed to be great for long rides with their very smooth action, aren't they? And docile too. Do a lot of hunters use them where you are? I can't imagine heaven being any more perfect than riding out across land like that on a horse with a bunch of good dogs around you.

Sky-the dogs or I are not in any kind of horse back shape :laugh: So after a 6hr day in the saddle I knew today would be a tough one, but when i woke I was not sore ar all. Any other breed of horse[non-gaited] would have me hobbling around like 90 year old man today. They are the way to go very nice animals to hunt off of or a good mule.

how many dogs did it take to kill that

LL-I know looks bad with 8 on the ground but when we go like this its a big training/conditioning day for the mutts.pups dont learn anything sitting home. But to answer your question 2 good ones.

class act, really looks the business, a few mates and i take out our pack of beagles on the horses and hed up the mountain once or twice a year and let the lurchers run with them, summit similar and i can say it is pure class day out, great post.