ferret breeding

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right i'm going to be blunt now. Your a f*****g fool for completely ignoring the advice given. You must be a f*****g kid, cos your acting like one. Folk are not bullying you, they dont really give a f

I would wait a season or so mate. Your ferrets have only had a small amount of experience and will not truely have come into their own yet...lay off the breeding for this summer, wait until next seas

i guess no one is on my side and i am getting bullied lol no i have listend to every thing every one has said but i would like to try this just once it might work it might not

One reason i can think of not breeding for is this..

ferrets may be small & easily replaced if they escape or die but as there keeper regardless of how inexpensive they are YOU HAVE A DUTY OF CARE to ensure there given a species appropriate diet .. appropriate housing & shelter from the elements AND GETTING IT TO A VET IF IT GOES TITS UP .. you say you want to breed .....thats fine in theory

I took a jill in about 7 or so years ago.. she was in season when she was dropped off here .. but after 7 or so days she had come out of season

That ment she was possibly pregnant ... low & behold she was pregnant .. I had no idea of her expected date but worked on the fact she was very probably just pregnant when I took her in

Gloria

257792353.jpg

a week or so later

257141233.jpg

as time progressed she got bigger & one friday evening i heard the tell tail squeaking of young.. so left her be.. checking very breifly before i went to bed

Sat morning i went in to her put in some food & water & she dashed to me... I knew something wasnt right .. i carefully peeled away the bedding & there was 1 kit .. alive & seemingly content

I picked gloria up & could see she was possibly still carrying young ... So i went with my gut reaction & got her to a vet that morning

they scanned her & said there was one dead kit stuck inside her .. she was given oxcyticin & i was told she would pass the dead kit in an hour or so

thats exactly what she did .. passed the dead kit which i removed from her cage

Charley her daugter

260268160.jpg

261318646.jpg

263970676.jpg

264738922.jpg

i think you have to be prepared for every eventuality .. even after all the years hands on experience I have had nothing prepares you for a jill with a dead kit inside her.. I simply went with my gut reaction because of previous birth experiences I have had with ferrets.. & i knew that the length of time between kits shouldnt be hours & hours

So if you have a good vet saught out incase you need it & the rest of the information you need to sucessfully breed then good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

yea i no mate i have put alot of money away ready and i no it may sound sad but i have a "ferret kitty" that put alot of money in too

for f**k sake fella grow up a ferret kitty yea that does sound sad :yes: just take the peoples advice there trying to give you :wallbash: and dont breed your ferrets :thumbdown: make do with the ones you have never mind breeding kitts :bye:

yea i no mate i have put alot of money away ready and i no it may sound sad but i have a "ferret kitty" that put alot of money in too

sorry mate but i gotta say this :censored:

what you need to do right now is to listen with both ears ,the best advice you will get for free is being given to you but seems as though you still got your i pod plugged in

£ signs are running through your head because you can/maybe sell them & you have a ferret fund just in case, research leave it another 5 years get to know your ferrets,research about breeding, get all the info you need about ferrets & breeding then DONT BREED THEM SIMPLES !!

TOO MANY FERRET RESCUES HAVE UNWANTED OOPS I BRED 20 FERRETS BY MISTAKE because it was a good idea & I WENT TO BED LAST NIGHT WITH 12 KITTS & woke up day after with none mum will eat them if disturbed basically im saying what every 1 else will say dont , i dont know much about ferrets or breeding, but seems you know even less , rant over pain killers kicked in :bye: .ps dont breed off your ferrets

BTW Kays advice is spot on & she knows her stuff :thumbs:

Edited by johnmac666

"Everyones bullying me, no one's on my side" - look mate, i'm guessing your a young kid. And you have four ferrets, and thats great, and we are all glad that you enjoy ferreting etc, thats great! But why, of, why do you want to breed? Your saying 'you just fancy it', now do you REALLY think, that is a good enough reason to breed/create 20 new animals? And if you really needed a kit or two and had to breed, then why both ferrets???? You'd be far better off picking up a couple of quality kits from someone in your area, and if your fascinated by the breeding and a kid i'm sure you could arrange to go over and see the kits when young etc etc and learn about the whole process. At the very worse just wait another year, its not going to kill you but might save a lot of hassle in the long run. And to be fair 'it might work, it might not' is a pretty piss poor attitude to take toward anything to do with animal husbandry.

Unless you have homes for at least 15 kits and can afford to keep them and have the space.

With two liteers your saying as a carpenter you have time to nip train clean out daily and handle twenty more ferrets?

If you had properly researched or even read a ferret book, which you clearly havent! People would be less pissed off with such ignorance.

Why not just breed the one litter its far more responceable and before you do it research a hell of a lot and find homes before the kits are born.

so how am i gunna learn then i have been researching hard , if i dont do it how will i get taught

my dad god bless his soul had a saying

" Best to keep your mouth shut & let them think your an idiot"

" than open it & remove all doubt"

• Like 1

i will keep the ones i dont sell i am a carpenter and i am in progress in makeing a massive pen for them all , well i only went out about 10 times last season and my ferret done okay better than i thought

No being funny but ten times is sweet F A ,Maybe i should put it in me posts But i keep saying are your ferrets good enough to breed from ?. and being worked ten time isnt that its about three weeks worth of ferreting .But your going to do it anyway but why breed both jills ?.Why no try one and see how it goes ?.Being honest i dont know the last time i breed a jill its far easier to get some other mug to do it and raise the kits and get a couple in ,Last year i got six kits in three lots of two from differnt folk all over the country im working them hard and there making the grade and im happy with them .But good luck with what ever road you decide to go down but watch all the hunting sites from late july onward they will be full of FREE FERRET KITS from guys who just wanted to breed a litter

so how am i gunna learn then i have been researching hard , if i dont do it how will i get taught

Ok mate youve done the research lets have a quiz

1 How can you tell your ferret is in season both hobs and jills

2 what is the normal gestation period of a ferret

3 what is the average number of kits a ferret can have

4 how old can the kits be before they leave their mum

5 what can happen if a jill ferret is not mated every season

Those are just the basic questions on ferret breeding once you can answer them , you have to ask yourself

is my ferret good enough to breed from ,

do I need new stock,

can i afford it if something goes wrong ,

can i afford the time and money it takes to look after more ferrets if i cant get rid of them all .

Im not going to tell you not to breed it sounds like your going to go for it anyway ,I myself am putting my non working euro polecat over my best working little jill just to "see what will happen"( but all ready sorted 6 homes out allready off a couple of genuine people) just make sure you can answer all the questions above honestly ....whatever you decide I wish you the best

Ok mate youve done the research lets have a quiz

1 How can you tell your ferret is in season both hobs and jills

2 what is the normal gestation period of a ferret

3 what is the average number of kits a ferret can have

4 how old can the kits be before they leave their mum

5 what can happen if a jill ferret is not mated every season

Those are just the basic questions on ferret breeding once you can answer them , you have to ask yourself

is my ferret good enough to breed from ,

do I need new stock,

can i afford it if something goes wrong ,

can i afford the time and money it takes to look after more ferrets if i cant get rid of them all .

Im not going to tell you not to breed it sounds like your going to go for it anyway ,I myself am putting my non working euro polecat over my best working little jill just to "see what will happen"( but all ready sorted 6 homes out allready off a couple of genuine people) just make sure you can answer all the questions above honestly ....whatever you decide I wish you the best

he will already know all these answers and more mate because he learnt it all off google search :no:

If your ferret is really that good why don't you advertise the hob to stud someone else's Jill and at least see how it's all done for the first year and ask for one of the babies in return. And do the research so next year you know what to do. You really do sound quite immature by your posts, there could be so many things that could go wrong, such as the mother dying then you would be left to bring up the kits which would be a 24 hour job. Then if you wanted to keep some of them the cost of neuter and spaying is a lot, as you wouldn’t want brothers and sisters breeding next year. I have an amazing hob from working lines, great little worker, beautiful looking (available for stud if anyone wants’ to borrow him). And I have a rescued Jill, not sure her breeding. good worker, but looks quite a cross of ferrets so I got her spayed as didn’t want them to have babies as I’m not experienced with breeding, and babies would be a bit of everything! Like a lot of people have said by June there will be hundreds of unwanted ferrets, probably with better breeding than what you have got. It cost me £79 pounds to spay her and quite a lot of time in checkups after. Imagine the cost for getting 10 ferrets done! It’s not worth breeding from unless you really know what you are doing, and you won’t make any money, most ferrets will go for free or the price of food you had to feed it before it could have left home anyway. Perhaps at least wait a year until you know what you are doing and make sure you know you ferrets are good workers before taking action, ferrets live for 9 years why rush?