my new gun in a 177 or 22

so you hear it.... the syntarg is going to be getting put away for now but hey for the money what a hell of a gun slate all you like lads but it is a cracker.... anyway back to the matter in hand im going to stick with smk puerly because of my price range and am opting for the xs79 and going to have a 3-4 x 50 scope and my lamp but the question is should i take the l77 or 22.... i have heard a lot of good about both and i was thinking a 177 because of pure distance and trajectory but with a holow point so mushroom and in turn give it sone whack... anyway can you all give your oppinions and reasons why on what i should do and then i will make my informed choice thanks guys :gunsmilie:

Mate,

If you can ensure that you place either calibre into your quarries brain they both will kill it easily.

The .177 requires less hold over but is effected a slight bit more by wind.

The .22 is slower with a more pronounced trajectory but retains it's energy better.

If I was mainly going to be lamping I would say .177 as range estimation at night is difficult. Don't forget wind though.

If I was mainly shooting day time and could use a lrf I would use .22 just because I was taught to shoot with a .22 and enjoy the challenge of shooting a .22.

Both calibres are as accurate as each other but the .22 does require a better understanding of what your pellet is doing at each stage of it's trajectory and where you need to aim to compensate for the larger difference in the trajectory to the scopes line of sight.

Si

Use domed pellets!

Choose best caliber for you, both will do the job.

Practice makes perfect, an smk will do the job you are right altho it may not group as tight as you might like at range imo.

.atb. .ste.

dont do it as soon as it gets cold at night the co2 pressure will drop and it will be pushing 6ftlb i had the 78 and it wasnt worth shooting at living things with, it was retired straight away :thumbdown: .for the same amount of money you might be able to pick up an old pcp maybee a webley raider 2 shot or an old air arms s300 :thumbs: