Help with maths please.........

Hi, my maths aren't the best at times.

Have looked at a nice pup, have been told by the seller whats in her, trying to work out if she would be too bulky/slow.

What would be the percentage break down.

Dam: Bull x Greyhound

Sire: Bull x Greyhound (X) Collie Greyhound

Reckion its Greyhound, Bull Collie, in that order.

How much of each.

Will be for mooching, ferreting and other bigger stuff.

Would she be suitable ?

Any replies welcome (accept smart asre 'your a doogh head' ones)

Thanks

Have looked at a nice pup, have been told by the seller whats in her, trying to work out if she would be too bulky/slow.

How much of each.

Would she be suitable ?

Thanks

is the dam 1st cross bull x grey and is the sire 1/2 grey 1/4 bull 1/4 collie?????

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but from what I can gather it doesn't work like that as the pups can swing towards one side of the cross rather than it being exact 50:50 (if you know what I mean?). So these pups could come out more on the bull side, or more on the grey side, or more like a collie than you'd expect from this cross....so I guess it depends on the individual pup. Don't see what difference the exact percentage makes to be honest.

But, like I say, I'm fairly new to all this, that's what I understand from what other more experienced people have said though.

Keep it simple FFS!! Its bull greyhound with some collie in it mate and seeing how plenty of other lurchers are bred in a similar way then yes it should be ok for working big stuff and mooching. Ferreting for some reason people think you need a small fast dog but last time i went a big 1/4 bull 3/4greyhound dog marked and watched the nets as good as any dog yes you might miss a few bolters that slip the net but that just means theres some for next time so cant see yours struggling. Seeing the parents will give you a better idea than asking on here

• Like 1

should be ok for mooching+ bigger things, regards speed would be ok, but wont i dont think will be that fast off the mark. My dog is fast of the mark but a straight 1x colliegrey 25in 58lb, with yours with that bit of bull could be a bit slower. But as been said every dog+pup are all differnt :thumbs:

How much of each.

Would she be suitable ?

Thanks

Count how many dogs are involved.... There are 6 dogs involved... 3 of them are greyhounds, 2 of them bulls and 1 is a collie so it's 3/6 or 1/2 grey 2/6 or 1/3 bull and 1/6 collie. Personally I wouldn't touch a dog for rabbits with 1/2 grey. It would need to be atleast 5/8 or 3/4 for me.

4/8 Grey, 3/8 Bull, 1/8 Collie

Spot on with the Math

Doesn't work like that mate you wil have attributes from all. The breeds bit you can't say for certain what percentage of the breeds wil be in the dog very unlickly but u could end up with a lot of collie in it very unlikely though

you pay your money and you take your chance, you could get a bully pup or a houndy one, once the deal is done bud , its up to you to get the best out of her but the litter sounds like it could be usefull ,

Exactly. It always amazes me how many people assume because you breed in a certain cross that it will take the best attributes from the breed you put in... unfortunately it doesn't always work out like that! There is absolutely no guarantee that if you use a Collie in the make up of the pups that you are guaranteed to get the brains and tractability of the Collie; likewise stick a Saluki in the mix assuming that you'll get the stamina of that breed and for all you know you'll end up with the brains of the Saluki and the stamina of the Greyhound! Not saying it is total pot luck because you generally find that certain characteristics are dominant and using a certain cross/blend will generally get you what you expect but most of the guys who've been around a while will have seen the oddball that can turn up in litters of Lurchers.

If you look at the genetics of it there are certain dominant genes that will come through in a genuine 1st cross but once you are into the realms of lurcher to lurcher or dubious lines of 1st cross then it really can be pot luck. Saying all of that using good working stock significantly increases the chance of getting good working stock out at the other end.

4/8 Grey, 3/8 Bull, 1/8 Collie

Spot on with the Math

Doesn't work like that mate you wil have attributes from all. The breeds bit you can't say for certain what percentage of the breeds wil be in the dog very unlickly but u could end up with a lot of collie in it very unlikely though

you pay your money and you take your chance, you could get a bully pup or a houndy one, once the deal is done bud , its up to you to get the best out of her but the litter sounds like it could be usefull ,

Exactly. It always amazes me how many people assume because you breed in a certain cross that it will take the best attributes from the breed you put in... unfortunately it doesn't always work out like that! There is absolutely no guarantee that if you use a Collie in the make up of the pups that you are guaranteed to get the brains and tractability of the Collie; likewise stick a Saluki in the mix assuming that you'll get the stamina of that breed and for all you know you'll end up with the brains of the Saluki and the stamina of the Greyhound! Not saying it is total pot luck because you generally find that certain characteristics are dominant and using a certain cross/blend will generally get you what you expect but most of the guys who've been around a while will have seen the oddball that can turn up in litters of Lurchers.

If you look at the genetics of it there are certain dominant genes that will come through in a genuine 1st cross but once you are into the realms of lurcher to lurcher or dubious lines of 1st cross then it really can be pot luck. Saying all of that using good working stock significantly increases the chance of getting good working stock out at the other end.

spot on, ive always liked the x (salukixgrey x collie grey) on paper its sounds a good x, fast , brain, stamina, good feet. :thumbs: But as you say you really dont know what will come out, the way you want it.?? My 2 dogs are 1x collie grey, and 3/8 bull 5/8 grey. So both only have 2 breeds in there make up, might not be as good as (salukixgrey x collie grey) regards as a alrounder. But with just the 2 breeds in there i know what they will be good at. :thumbs: