are bull x good for rabbiting?

depends on the % off bull in the dog or bitch 1/4 will be good for rabbits but any thing else is to heavy or slow

have to disagre lad, just because you cross a grey with a bull doesnt mean that the whole litter will be 50% grey and 50% bull, genetics dont work like that.

l didn't say if you cross grey with bull your going get 50% each way l said any thing over 1/4% will be to heavy or 2 slow and as some one said dont think bull cross be my 1st chice for rabbits

l didn't say if you cross grey with bull your going get 50% each way l said any thing over 1/4% will be to heavy or 2 slow and as some one said dont think bull cross be my 1st chice for rabbits

Of course it wouldn't.

You would have to be a halfwit to think otherwise.

But to say they are too slow for rabbits is stretching the truth. If they can't catch rabbits they certainly wont catch foxes (pre ban).

Also depends how they are bred. Some 2nd&3rd gen half crosses can be fairly light built.

:thumbs:

FTB

Bull crosses were almost exclusivley bred for toothed quarry and rarley saw rabbits, on my permission rabbits aren't easy or plentiful, BUT I have owned and seen some bull crosses that are very good at taking bunnies on the lamp, although as previously mentioned, almost all the ones i have seen or owned were a trifle hard mouthed. Bull crosses aren't and shouldn't be a first choice if you want a really good rabbiting dog imo, there are other crosses more suitable.......

My bull bitch catches rabbits, not a pot filler but she catches 'em :thumbs: Te 2 pup's i've got out of her aren't to bad either, not going to win any speed racing competitions but plenty quick enough for what i want. So long as your getting out there with your dog then imo it doesn't matter what the catch rate is, just enjoy your time out with your dog :thumbs:

Edited to say that my full bull bitch and the dog pup are hard mouthed, no chance of eating the bunnies from them but the bitch pup is coing on well and starting to retrieve to hand without destroying the bunny :D

Edited by blackstaff

2o year back when i was out bagging numbers all night,,,, my mates dog, darkie owned by bamba of this site was the best. first cross grey/ pittbull, 22" about 50lbs,,,, would run all night we had 40,s with that dog regular and with my dog catch 20 -30 we had some good scores, she was a great retriver as well :thumbs:

2o year back when i was out bagging numbers all night,,,, my mates dog, darkie owned by bamba of this site was the best. first cross grey/ pittbull, 22" about 50lbs,,,, would run all night we had 40,s with that dog regular and with my dog catch 20 -30 we had some good scores, she was a great retriver as well :thumbs:

was the dog in ur post hard mouthed on rabbits tomo?

was the dog in ur post hard mouthed on rabbits tomo?

I honestly dont remember