range finsing with a laser

hi all,

i've become increasingly intrested in the rangefinding capabilities of a gun mounted laser by means of triangulation. i know that the further the laser is from the central axis of the scope, the more3 accurat the rangefind will be whcih made me think if i could mount the laser beneath the cylinder of my s400 and drill the stock to allow me the put the wire under the action and the pressure pad come out near my tirger for a quick, fuss free rangefinder. just a couple of queations. what laser provides the tightest beam for this, and is there anyone who can make a custom part to fit my cylinder and laser and allow me too adjust it? one thing which has puzzled me is how you get the paser spot on centre 0f crosshairs on your zero range?

ATB

Aaton. :thumbs:

Some lasers have axial adjustment so you zero the rifle then zero the laser on your crosshair.

If you want to go the laser route ,,buy a niko stirling laserking scope (cheap as chips) rather than drilling your stock and all that malarky

ATB

Rake, you need the maximum possible distance between scope and laser, to provide meaningful measurements for range.

There are plenty of gun lasers that provide adjustment, any of the proper shooting lasers do.

To set the laser to your zero range, just zero as usual, then adjust the laser to coincide with the crosshairs.

Hey aaton :laugh:, Intresting post mate, I am in exactly the same position as you, looking for a lazer for range finding, si suggested the hawke lazer from uttings as being good, I am very intrested to see if anyone comes up with a way of mounting it to the cylinder as I want to do the same,

Were probably looking at a contraption similar to a doctor bob but insted of a stud, a rail in its place.

Will be keeping my eye on this thread :thumbs:

Also will be watching out for yours and brads posts after your outing tomorow :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

That is also a correct way to use it, but the further away the better in terms of angle to give more precice readings, I am opting for cylinder mounted as on top of the scope it gets in the way of the lamp, if behind its no good obviously, if in front it casts a shadow, not to mention its a bit tight for space up there, also you cant realy of set it as you want the lazer to travel perfectly up and down your vertical axies on the scope, those are the reasons I personaly would opt for mounting under the cylinder :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

That is also a correct way to use it, but the further away the better in terms of angle to give more precice readings, I am opting for cylinder mounted as on top of the scope it gets in the way of the lamp, if behind its no good obviously, if in front it casts a shadow, not to mention its a bit tight for space up there, also you cant realy of set it as you want the lazer to travel perfectly up and down your vertical axies on the scope, those are the reasons I personaly would opt for mounting under the cylinder :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

So am i right in thinking the higher or lower from the scope the better?

Whats triangulation?

Rake means the angle at wich the path of the lazer crosses the line of sight through the scope.

What we were discussing about the distance of the lazer from the scope in the vertical, above/below scope.

.atb. .ste.

Triangulation

If you imagine, your barrel/telescopic sight is pointing a straight line at a target.

The laser is 7" above the barrel and is pointing slightly downwards at the target. The crosshairs and laser dot meet at the target.

If you are closer than the zero distance the laser dot will be slightly ABOVE the crosshairs

If you are further away than the zero distance the laser dot will be slightly BELOW the crosshairs

The barrel/sight line and the laser line make a traingle that meets at the zero point then crossover

Does this make sense??.. if it does it`s a miracle cause I`m painkilling with wine!

ATB