.243 Varmint Load.......4000fps.

Hiya Guys,

I put in for a variation on my FAC a few months ago for a .20cal. The reason for the variation was that I wanted a rifle for long range rabbiting and having tried a .17hmr I decided I needed something with better ballistics at extended range especially in the wind.

Someone mentioned to me I should try lightweight bullets in my .243 so I played with QUICKLOAD to design the new load. I wanted a lightweight bullet pushed as fast as it is safe to do so to get a flat shooting laser like trajectory.

Just came up with a load that will reach 4000fps pushing a 58grain V-Max.

Has anyone had any experience using 58 grain V-Max and IMR4895 ???

To compare the ballistics I gathered the information below from the 6mmbr site, Exbal, and Quickload.

.243win in 58grain V-Max with BC of .25 @ 4000fps at 300yds has 5.2" drop & 1900ft/lbs

.20cal in 40grain V-Max with BC of .275 @ 4000fps at 300yds has 4.9" drop & 1400ft/lbs

Whilst the .20cal has a very slightly better drop of .3" at 300yds, the .243 has 35% more muzzle energy.

It is possible mate, But your gonna burn the barrel out rather quickly firing loads like that through it,

i shoot the 58g with varget and the velocity was 3670fps in my old barrel...

would it not be a better bet to dial in your drop rather than push for the max, you'll have your barrel for longer too...

or if you want to go long range, try the 70g sierra blitzking, or the 87g v-max.....

Atb

Snap.

It is possible mate, But your gonna burn the barrel out rather quickly firing loads like that through it,

would it not be a better bet to dial in your drop rather than push for the max, you'll have your barrel for longer too...

or if you want to go long range, try the 70g sierra blitzking, or the 87g v-max.....

Atb

Snap.

Hiya Mate,

Thanks for your reply, I do dial in normally. I use 80 grain bergers with Varget and get 0.5" groups at 200yds. The load is incredibly accurate.

The problem is that I do a lot of shooting at night and the rabbits and foxes are so used to being shot at that I dont get much time to take a shot. Most shots are between 100-250yds and to make headshots at those ranges I need to dial in which is just impossible at night as I need to use a rangefinder to get the range right.

If I can get a load that will go 4000fps I can zero it at 200yds and it will still give me point and shoot capabilities up to 250yds.

I was going to get the 20cal for the job but I think I may be able to do it with the .243. I know what your saying is right about the barrel wear but I would get the same wear with a .20cal, so it won't make too much difference. It will just mean a new barrel every 1500-2000rounds.

Atb

Snap.

Hiya Mate,

Thanks for your reply, I do dial in normally. I use 80 grain bergers with Varget and get 0.5" groups at 200yds. The load is incredibly accurate.

The problem is that I do a lot of shooting at night and the rabbits and foxes are so used to being shot at that I dont get much time to take a shot. Most shots are between 100-250yds and to make headshots at those ranges I need to dial in which is just impossible at night as I need to use a rangefinder to get the range right.

If I can get a load that will go 4000fps I can zero it at 200yds and it will still give me point and shoot capabilities up to 250yds.

I was going to get the 20cal for the job but I think I may be able to do it with the .243. I know what your saying is right about the barrel wear but I would get the same wear with a .20cal, so it won't make too much difference. It will just mean a new barrel every 1500-2000rounds.

i have the same trouble mate, but normally no trouble ranging, make yourself a little drop card and carry it with you or stick it on the inside of your butler creek cover...

i can range and dial in the shot in a matter of seconds when your used to it, and even have a little led headtorch i wear to check the drop on the covers...!!!!

a little call normally stops them in their tracks and i take the shot, (always go out with a lamping partner)

Atb.

4000 fps in a small calibre?

Isn't there a real risk of ablation (bullet burnup) at this sort of velocity?

Not at 4000fps in a .243, a 22.250 which is a smaller caliber can send a 40grain bullet at 4500fps without issues. My father used to run 40's at that speed in his 22.250 for years.

you might be able to push the 58's at 4000 fps but doesnt mean that is where the best accuracy is. i would much perfer to have a accurate load at good spped then one flat out which isnt as accurate i think your be lucky to get 2000 rounds out of the 243 if your pushing them at 4000 fps

the 20 cal barrel would last longer it uses less powder you also have the have less kick which is nice for spotting shots. my 22/250 is set up 1 inch high at 100 yards and ive shot foxes out to 250 with out aiming off them. go with accuracy 1st and not speed

The only thing I would add to the positive comments made Robbo is that it would appear you are doubling your powder costs to effectively do the same as a 20 cal will do. Besides, the 20 cal is such great fun to use - I am taking charge of a 20 TAC when it is completed next month - despite already having a 22.250.

what about the 20 br been thinking about one myself , do around the 4000fps to 4200fps with the 40gr . :hmm:

20 br v.nice but you would probably have to run it as a single shot as unlikely to cycle through a mag.Am using 17 rem with 30 grain Bergers on fox to 250ish at 3900 fps without probs unless something farts in the field in which case all bets are off.

what about the 20 br been thinking about one myself , do around the 4000fps to 4200fps with the 40gr . :hmm:

20 br v.nice but you would probably have to run it as a single shot as unlikely to cycle through a mag.Am using 17 rem with 30 grain Bergers on fox to 250ish at 3900 fps without probs unless something farts in the field in which case all bets are off.

i do agree their 6BR\17REM single shot it would be , it saves messing about trying to catch the brass ( no ejector ). been thinking mcmillan a5 tac stock krieger barrel, bat action jewel triger . :gunsmilie: .

i do agree their 6BR\17REM single shot it would be , it saves messing about trying to catch the brass ( no ejector ). been thinking mcmillan a5 tac stock krieger barrel, bat action jewel triger . :gunsmilie: .

sounds a good set up. not much change from 3 grand by the time its built !