first red stag

Bit of a tale to my first stag and im sure willrockyted wont mind me relating it .Booked a weekends stalking years ago way up in the highlands which was an ALL INCLUSIVE trip priced at £450 .I was 21 at the time .Roe unlimited with a red stag thrown in ,no trophy fees .Shot several roe before the oppotunity arose for a stag way out on the moor .Being a bit green back then i took it as par for the course when we ducked under a deer fence that he assured me meant nothing more than the distinction between hill and forest .We ,the stalker and me ,set off for a distant roaring and passed up a few stags on the way much to my disgust as i just wanted to grass one back then ,the head meaning nothing .The stalker however had an alterial motive for getting me on the big boy .We stalked in to a roaring stag of 11 points and as i lined up the shot he whispers that it will cost me another £200 to pull the trigger to which i stood up, swore and told him what i thought of scamming b*****ds me being a bit headstrong then i suppose .A bit strong maybe as he was only trying to earn a bit more i suppose but a deal is a deal in my book .Got about 300 yds away from him when i saw the tips of an antler in a ditch ,burn and sat down to await events .Stalker is soon by my side and apologetic in the extreme asking me not to tell his employer!

We sat thee for maybe an hour watching the stag chewing the cud ,a nine pointer .A stag roared over the hill and he stood up to roar back .Stalker was a different chap now and talked me through the shot.That done we had to struggle this beast under the fence where the stalker appeared obviously more relaxed.I had to wait by it until he brought back a quad .The beast was gralloched back at the yard which i thought odd at the time .The head was prepared for me and the stalker was my best mate as his boss asked about the shot and whereabouts in the forest we'd had it ! Bit of a strained goodbye but i had my stag !

Picture-10.jpg