biting

Guest houndblair

Guest houndblair

Hi ive not long had these 2 jills which have been fine to handle and play with, but since last night they have resorted to biting aggresivly like when they fisrt arrive! Does anyone know what could be up woth them or have any advise!

Guest houndblair

yeh ive handlend them every day from when i got them and havent been bitten once, just as a chucked a chicken in there today and tried my normal handling sessions but they have kicked of with aggresion, hopefully thell be better when im working them tomorrow.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

' Resorted to biting, like when they first arrived ' ???

Should Never have bitten 'aggressively' in the first place, mate. Properly handled kits Don't Bite. Period. That's all down to the person who breeds them though. No good letting them be born, waiting till they're weaned and ready, then flogging them off.

When exactly did ye aquire these ferrets? I get the hunch ye got them 'Lately'? If so, they quite likely Have been left to their own devices and, as such, could be a bit 'wild'.

But the key point here is that they've Both gone bannanas. Why both? Over night? What have ye done to provoke this response now?

Have ye handled them after touching blood or fur? That does the trick! Ye sweet as pie ferret can become a scarey demon if ye go to it smelling of The Hunt. At least till ye get to know eachother better, through experiancing it all in a working situation.

That's where I'd look first, mate. Think. Could there have been an exciting scent on ye?

Next thing is going to be your own reaction to them from now on. Fact that they used to bite brings us hope though. You obviously handled that ok and worked through it. Now ye have to start over again. Not because they'll always bite ye, because they've become vicious little b*stards. It'd down to ye own, unconciouse, acceptance that ye Think they'll bite ye.

I've stood in a mates shed as he stared, bug eyed, at a little poley jill. " F*ck her! ", he cried. " She Bites! 2 x 2 for that one in a minute! ". With that I picked her up and loved her to bits. She came home with me, my mate, still bug eyed, as we left. It simply never occurred to me she'd dream of biting me. Brian had simply done something to have set her off and got nipped. There after, he was wary of her. Approached her in an unconciously wary fashion. Scared her and got nipped again.

If they bother ye now, get a glove on. Approach them with the gloved hand then, as they accept a rolling round and a tickle from the safer hand, slide the other hand in and join in the fun.

Important thing is You regain your total, relaxed confidence in Them. They have to (re) learn that you're no threat and biting you gets them no where anyway. You, equelly, have to relearn that they'll not hurt ye. It's all down to mutual Confidance.

Otherwise it will be 2 x 2 time and ye'll be f*cked for this season, won't ye?

just as a chucked a chicken in there today and tried my normal handling sessions

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And I just wasted ten minutes giving ye a pep talk! What did I tell ye?! :laugh:

They'll be fine once ye learn to keep the smell off ye hands, mate - wash before fiddling! :laugh:

Oh well. Some youngster may take something from what I said ;)

' Resorted to biting, like when they first arrived ' ???

Should Never have bitten 'aggressively' in the first place, mate. Properly handled kits Don't Bite. Period. That's all down to the person who breeds them though. No good letting them be born, waiting till they're weaned and ready, then flogging them off.

When exactly did ye aquire these ferrets? I get the hunch ye got them 'Lately'? If so, they quite likely Have been left to their own devices and, as such, could be a bit 'wild'.

But the key point here is that they've Both gone bannanas. Why both? Over night? What have ye done to provoke this response now?

Have ye handled them after touching blood or fur? That does the trick! Ye sweet as pie ferret can become a scarey demon if ye go to it smelling of The Hunt. At least till ye get to know eachother better, through experiancing it all in a working situation.

That's where I'd look first, mate. Think. Could there have been an exciting scent on ye?

Next thing is going to be your own reaction to them from now on. Fact that they used to bite brings us hope though. You obviously handled that ok and worked through it. Now ye have to start over again. Not because they'll always bite ye, because they've become vicious little b*stards. It'd down to ye own, unconciouse, acceptance that ye Think they'll bite ye.

I've stood in a mates shed as he stared, bug eyed, at a little poley jill. " F*ck her! ", he cried. " She Bites! 2 x 2 for that one in a minute! ". With that I picked her up and loved her to bits. She came home with me, my mate, still bug eyed, as we left. It simply never occurred to me she'd dream of biting me. Brian had simply done something to have set her off and got nipped. There after, he was wary of her. Approached her in an unconciously wary fashion. Scared her and got nipped again.

If they bother ye now, get a glove on. Approach them with the gloved hand then, as they accept a rolling round and a tickle from the safer hand, slide the other hand in and join in the fun.

Important thing is You regain your total, relaxed confidence in Them. They have to (re) learn that you're no threat and biting you gets them no where anyway. You, equelly, have to relearn that they'll not hurt ye. It's all down to mutual Confidance.

Otherwise it will be 2 x 2 time and ye'll be f*cked for this season, won't ye?

just as a chucked a chicken in there today and tried my normal handling sessions

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And I just wasted ten minutes giving ye a pep talk! What did I tell ye?! :laugh:

They'll be fine once ye learn to keep the smell off ye hands, mate - wash before fiddling! :laugh:

Oh well. Some youngster may take something from what I said ;)

I thought the same when I saw "chucked", hell when I had ferrets I used to sit there and eat with them. 'kin hell! mine knew the sound of a "Tesco" carrier bag when we'd been shopping!

The one thing I found would really wind them up was SWEAT! The smell of salt, drive them loco, be warned!

The other thing that would be a real calming effect would be saliva, spit in the palm of our hand fella, see what happens when you show them.............Al B)

Sound advice Ditch.........

I have one for you to get your head round mate......I had poley hobs from the same litter this summer, got them at exactly the same time, very well handled.......one starts to turn into a giant monster of a thing, the bigger it got the more aggressive it became.

Even at feeding time, my ferts will not intentionally (spel?) bite me, you know how ferts are, they will have a little grab but there is nothing in it........will let go just as quick.

Well this paticular fert, just got bigger and badder.

Now I will not pass on problems to anyone, so it ended in a journey to the gun cabinet.

The other one is some worker, everything you could want, and a real pet to boot........what do you make of that mate?

J

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:hmm: Not sure what I'd make of it, mate! I've known the tiniest white jills to be Extreme Bitches for the bite. Equelly, I've had some fair old sized hobs who were sweet as nuts.

If ye Really forced me to make an all out, unmittigated guess? I could only suggest that maybe the fact that he was noticably bigger ~ and thus caught ye eye ~ in the first place, coupled with my above reasoning ..... He spooked ye and it was the old slippery all over again?

I bought a big ol' hob poley off a local mush, decades ago. I was sat in the pub, on the way home, with this brute of a 'cat in a cage trap, on my table.

Beer took its toll and I casually decided to let him out. He crawled straight up my chest and sunk his teeth into my chin! Obviously, I got him off, only to cop one in the hand!

Now, I knew the score. But could I get near him after that? Could I f*ck! Took him back to the mush and he just picked him up and nursed him, while asking if I wanted my money back or another ferret. Obviously, I asked for another ferret, explaining I knew perfectly well I was now simply spooked of this one. Timmo fished out an equelly huge white hob and that hob was a charm.

I've had the feral, neglected psychopath types, mate ~ Gun Cabinet! But we must Always be aware of the differance between a nutter and one We simply don't trust ourselves.

Our own worst nightmare may be someone elses dream.

Guest houndblair

Well i was handling all the phesants we have hanging for ferret food before i fed them and went to handle them, plus my dog was barking at them and one tried to wriggle out of my hands and bit me but not very bad, Im not scared of them but a bit caustious of handling them but i guess as time goes on thell be out of there little mood swing and will let me handle them as normal!

Well i was handling all the phesants we have hanging for ferret food before i fed them and went to handle them, plus my dog was barking at them and one tried to wriggle out of my hands and bit me but not very bad, Im not scared of them but a bit caustious of handling them but i guess as time goes on thell be out of there little mood swing and will let me handle them as normal!

When you say he bit you when trying to get free HB, did he BITE you or just have nip........belive me there is a BIG difference.

ever tryed prizing them off a bit of meat.......thats a bite.

So which is it HB......bite or nips mate?

J

Oh..........bye the way, cheers Ditch..

they nip!

they nip!

Remember HB they are short sited, if your waving your hand over them like Paul Daniels, looking for the Safe grip, they are only grabbing at something of intrest to see what it is..........there is no malice in that matey. ;)

J

:laugh::laugh: That canny trick works well on youngsters Stubby,..but if I recall the particular polecat Hob that Ditch is referring to,..you would certainly lose your fist,..let alone yer knuckles :laugh::laugh:

All the best,..CHALKWARREN........ ;)

Now this has just GOT to hurt,... :cry:

PICT0055.jpg

iv had a few bites but nothing like that