anyone working dead game patts

A dog is proven dead game when he is dead.

I lost Duvel years ago, he was a white Fell or Lakey and when the Russell club came into existence he was a pup and got Russell papers as he was white and the stud book was open.

When he was 11 years old, we wanted to give him an easy fox. I often protected him against himself then. We had dug several foxes there before in very shallow humus ground. So, we entered him, but this time the fox (or earlier on, a badger which wasn't present then) had dug 2 meters deep through 3 rock hard layers of stoney lime. We dug and it got dark and we got ourselves a lamp and an aggregate and continued to dig. All the time the pipe was open on both sides and we could hear the animals. We never heard Duvel lament or sigh. When we got through, first thing I found was Duvel attached to a still living fox. We quickly despatched the fox and then I found that Duvel was dead for a half hour. He was not stuck, not smothered, not badly injured, he just would not give up, he never gave up in his life, even when his little ticker eventually couldn't keep up with the pace.

That is a dead game dog. I don't say he was a clever dog. He just had to win. He never deceived me to rabbit: if he said a fox was in, it was so. I still miss him sometimes now.

Very game and hard dogs are not always an advantage, although they are admirable, and sometimes they are a pain in the neck: if you work with Guns and they won't let the fox past to bolt, and you always have to see first whether you can dig, because if you can't with such a dog, you have a problem.

Now, I spoke to someone who told me: I can dig EVERYWHERE, no place is inaccessible.

Fair play to the man.

I come across places where I CAN'T dig, all stone and big boulders, and/or so deep that even the Ortovox locator can't find the dog. In Limburg Holland there are some vast setts covering entire hillsides with 50 to 100 entrances and going in 30 meters.

Or do you mean you can dig with a bulldozer or some such machine, and destroy the entire earth?

Anyway, deep game or dead game dogs are rare, and they are of limited use, since they will never give in, and you have to be extra careful to keep them alive. Both to predators underground and to boar.

I personally after 15 years, prefer a clever versatile dog over a very stubbornly game one, although the latter sometimes does come in well and it is good if you have one in your team.

Game is not the same as hard! A dog can, but must not necessarily be both. Hard is what the word says, whereas game has more to do with endurance, spirit, and will to win. Some extremely game dogs have hardly any contact.

• Like 4

I lost Duvel years ago, he was a white Fell or Lakey and when the Russell club came into existence he was a pup and got Russell papers as he was white and the stud book was open.

When he was 11 years old, we wanted to give him an easy fox. I often protected him against himself then. We had dug several foxes there before in very shallow humus ground. So, we entered him, but this time the fox (or earlier on, a badger which wasn't present then) had dug 2 meters deep through 3 rock hard layers of stoney lime. We dug and it got dark and we got ourselves a lamp and an aggregate and continued to dig. All the time the pipe was open on both sides and we could hear the animals. We never heard Duvel lament or sigh. When we got through, first thing I found was Duvel attached to a still living fox. We quickly despatched the fox and then I found that Duvel was dead for a half hour. He was not stuck, not smothered, not badly injured, he just would not give up, he never gave up in his life, even when his little ticker eventually couldn't keep up with the pace.

That is a dead game dog. I don't say he was a clever dog. He just had to win. He never deceived me to rabbit: if he said a fox was in, it was so. I still miss him sometimes now.

Very game and hard dogs are not always an advantage, although they are admirable, and sometimes they are a pain in the neck: if you work with Guns and they won't let the fox past to bolt, and you always have to see first whether you can dig, because if you can't with such a dog, you have a problem.

Now, I spoke to someone who told me: I can dig EVERYWHERE, no place is inaccessible.

Fair play to the man.

I come across places where I CAN'T dig, all stone and big boulders, and/or so deep that even the Ortovox locator can't find the dog. In Limburg Holland there are some vast setts covering entire hillsides with 50 to 100 entrances and going in 30 meters.

Or do you mean you can dig with a bulldozer or some such machine, and destroy the entire earth?

Anyway, deep game or dead game dogs are rare, and they are of limited use, since they will never give in, and you have to be extra careful to keep them alive. Both to predators underground and to boar.

I personally after 15 years, prefer a clever versatile dog over a very stubbornly game one, although the latter sometimes does come in well and it is good if you have one in your team.

Game is not the same as hard! A dog can, but must not necessarily be both. Hard is what the word says, whereas game has more to do with endurance, spirit, and will to win. Some extremely game dogs have hardly any contact.

NO MATE YOU HAVE ME ALL WRONG. IM TALKING ABOUT DEAD GAME KENNELLS PATTERDALES. AND PA WAT DO THESE DOGS WORK LIKE ARE THEY HARD FUCKERS AND ARE THEY ANY GOOD FROM WAT YE HEARD Edited by turkish

Fair play to the man.

interesting post :thumbs:

Here in the states Dead Game is synomiuos [sp] with Booth bred dogs that are used primarily to hunt in barns and old houses. Very few in the states keep and used earth size terriers, not by UK standards anyway. And generally this line of dogs is on the larger size. I don’t agree with DG’s pup/dog prices or selling practices but that’s his business. Todd is a generally very nice guy and has been breeding dogs for some time. Yankee you have to start posting some hunting threads before you start throwing bricks in a glass house…looks bad for everyone over here jmo.