Marking dogs

Is it just me im looking at the pictures and see dogs in the holes all i want is my lurcher to sniff the hole raise a front paw hole marked job done. Nets down ferret in i dont want her alerting the rabbits ???.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People get funny about it and yes i'd rather the dog marked by having a sniff, or as some do by freezing and staring. Terriers are prone to digging and that aint great, but you take what you get. You

A dog that marked "correctly" wouldn't be high on my list when buying or breeding to be honest.....as long as it marked true wouldn't really care how.People are a little too occupied with perfection..

Posted Images

all dogs mark differently mate i had a bitch that would sniff the hole then piss next to it then lie down and refuse to move untill i netted up. as long as they dont go mental and bark etc then i shouldnt worry to much. just let the rabbits settle for a bit when youve netted up. atb mart

id be happy for my dog too mark at all hes a russell and hunts and flushes in cover but when it comes too holes he sniffs and fecks off even when there occupied :icon_eek: any ideas on how too get him marking. lurchers the same though shes always been a lamping dog so not too bothered about her but the russell wats his story lol. :thumbs:

Is it just me im looking at the pictures and see dogs in the holes all i want is my lurcher to sniff the hole raise a front paw hole marked job done. Nets down ferret in i dont want her alerting the rabbits ???.

Like this :thumbs:

post-51785-0-70840200-1294843873_thumb.jpg

post-51785-0-67661200-1294842353_thumb.jpg

Edited by roxy

People get funny about it and yes i'd rather the dog marked by having a sniff, or as some do by freezing and staring. Terriers are prone to digging and that aint great, but you take what you get. You dont teach a dog a marking style, it just does what it does. I don't think what you 'want' comes into it. And we take out a dog that marks by sticking her head down the hole, breathing like an asthmatic and wagging her tail - and the rabbits bolt just fine. People worry too much. :thumbs:

• Like 1

People get funny about it, but you take what you get. You dont teach a dog a marking style, it just does what it does. I don't think what you 'want' comes into it. And we take out a dog that marks by sticking her head down the hole, breathing like an asthmatic and wagging her tail - and the rabbits bolt just fine. People worry too much. :thumbs:

I agree 100% :)

thats like hes saying this one nice one :thumbs:

People get funny about it and yes i'd rather the dog marked by having a sniff, or as some do by freezing and staring. Terriers are prone to digging and that aint great, but you take what you get. You dont teach a dog a marking style, it just does what it does. I don't think what you 'want' comes into it. And we take out a dog that marks by sticking her head down the hole, breathing like an asthmatic and wagging her tail - and the rabbits bolt just fine. People worry too much. :thumbs:

Contradict yourself there a bit mate,you make your point about terriers,so wouldn,t he be better off getting another type to "get what he wants" eg collie type :hmm:

He might not get what he wants but would greatly increase his chances,horses for courses

No messing jmo :thumbs:

Contradict yourself there a bit mate,you make your point about terriers,so wouldn,t he be better off getting another type to "get what he wants" eg collie type :hmm:

He might not get what he wants but would greatly increase his chances,horses for courses

it is a collie cross :thumbs: Edited by megpsycho

Sorry mate i think you misunderstand. We were talking lurchers. I mentioned that terriers are pretty likely to dig which isn't great but with lurchers you never can tell, it's down to the dog. The dog in question is a collie x like megpshyco says :thumbs:

it is a collie cross :thumbs:

what is ?

Thats the style of marking i like to Roxy.....you can see the Dogs Eyes burning into the turf and they give you that look as if to say.....come on.......get the Ferrets in :thumbs:

This is only my opinion but.....a Dog which doesnt Mark is NOT a Ferreting Dog.....its just a Dog that is taken along Ferreting.

It doesnt matter what breed it is......a FERRETING DOG MUST MARK......until i get the scenting powers of a Dog.....the Dog MUST tell me when something is at home.

One of the best marking Dogs i have ever seen was a German Shepard/Labrador cross.....even in really deep old places thats been there for ever and a day.....if ' Sam ' marked you could put your mortgage and life savings on it.

Had a very strange way of marking(just read someone elses dog done it)he used to cock his leg and piss :thumbs:

had terriers mark like alurcher on rabb holes cocked leg and staring at it but no digging then if it was foxy no messing, current lurchers i have you can tell if a rabbits at home they need dragged of the set or ferret in all depends how muck work you do with a lurcher and learn its ways how to tel if its playing or real marking , marking is a good trait and most well bred dogs learn there trade if you give him her the chance had big 28 tor of dartmoor saluks, mark with paw up, to 24 colie type who i bred for job, all dogs are diffrent up to the owner to know them in the early hunting trails we marked dogs on good marking