Is there such a thing as terrier racing or terrier trials?

Is there such a thing as terrier racing or terrier trials? I'm sure I've heard of terrier trials but it may be an American thing. I remember my uncle racing his terrier in a local fair in Snainton when I was a kid. The dogs chased a lure around a field.

Hi Gem,

How does it work? With a lure following an oval course, or with the lure zig-zagging around a field? Is there scent on the lure or do they chase it by eye? I'd really like the detail as I'd like to try Hoover, my Jack Russell, at it.

Clive.

Hi Gem,

How does it work? With a lure following an oval course, or with the lure zig-zagging around a field? Is there scent on the lure or do they chase it by eye? I'd really like the detail as I'd like to try Hoover, my Jack Russell, at it.

Clive.

just in a straight course same as lurcher racing although a lure zig-zagging around the field sounds a lot of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGu5AWmFosg

Edited by CarraghsGem

Hi Gem,

Clive.

just in a straight course same as lurcher racing although a lure zig-zagging around the field sounds a lot of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGu5AWmFosg

they do both in england :thumbs:

We dug a trail earth whilst i was on the Scottish jack Russell club committee ,tried it a couple of times at shows good for a laugh folk trying show dogs that would never see a earth but it was on a ladies farm and she moved over to Parson Jack Russells so christ knows if its still there

You mean they do terrier trials/earthdog trials in England tb25? I've taken a look at some US sites, they do earhdog trials in plywood tunnels. Aparently there is no need to bury the tunnels as the are just a dark inside buried or not. They make 6' lengths, corners, t pieces and prey cages, and hook them together to make different tunnel layouts. They stick live prey in the cages for realism. The tunnels sound pretty portable and just the thing for shows!

Edited by Deadbang

my lot love racing ,sim coursing we also have a go at hurdles and long jump ,but have never seen trials ,would love to have a go ,,if you have any living heritage shows near you ,you can have a go a chase the bunny :victory: ,all the activitys we do are along side lurcher working events

:thumbs::thumbs: we run straight terrier racing and a few terrier courcing events at most of the shows we run heart of wales at builth wells is one of them we run that 4 times during the year also we run the racing for hunt shows and charity shows all through the year that includes terriers and lurchers most people who have been to our events seems to enjoy :toast: