Have we got too many sub forums?

personnally i like the layout of the thl forums and sub-forums,

john; i cant understand why its a problem for you when on boards.ie where you are a moderator it is very awkward to navigate and only has a shooting subforum as regards hunting and is so well hidden i didnt even know it existed for the first 6mths i was on the site.

john; i cant understand why its a problem for you when on boards.ie where you are a moderator it is very awkward to navigate and only has a shooting subforum as regards hunting and is so well hidden i didnt even know it existed for the first 6mths i was on the site.

Me being a moderator on boards has sfa to do with THL in fairness.

Yes your right john, any suggestions to make it easier to navigate. open to improvements :thumbs:

Not sure Ian, when there were less forums, they seemed much livelier IMO. Now that there are many forums, it gives off the impression of being somewhat stagnant. I don't know about the usage statistics or membership, just saying what I see.

complaining about the layout of a board when a board you put your name to is near impossible to navigate is a bit hypocritical dont you think?

Edited by CarraghsGem

complaining about the layout of a board when a board you put your name to is near impossible to navigate is a bit hypocritical dont you think?

You're complaining, I'm suggesting.

It's not hypocrisy as I was against a new forum on there in the past ten days, which you should know if you know so much? Also for the same reasons.

I don't own boards so what influence you believe I have on that site is your own making.

If you're looking for a fight, look elsewhere, goodnight.

I agree John.

Also why have so many sections for shooting? Can one not cover cover all aspects of shooting? Its a bit like having separate section for hunting rabbit, hare etc. Or different sections for bull x, sal cross etc in the running dog section.

Some of the things pinned at the top of sections...i cannot see the point of, some of them, for example, do you actually work your dog or just talk about it (something like that) is it so important it needed to be pinned?

Yes your right john, any suggestions to make it easier to navigate. open to improvements :thumbs:

Just looking at the Shooting forum:

Rimfire, Centrefire & Shotguns & Airgunners, Spring & Precharged are busy forums leave as they are. The airgun subforums seem to be getting use at almost 1,300 topics in one and 730 in the other.

Reloading, Optics, Ammunition & Accessories doesn't need any of it's subforums IMO if you go in and look at the usage of those subforums.

In Shooting Sports I'd merge all the subforums there with the main forum, I'd also merge Gamekeeping, Conservation & Shoot Management & Shooting Opportunities with it and possibly Pigeon Shooting & Decoying and include their names in a rather long winded subheading under Shooting Sports.

Remove the FAQ forum in Deer Stalking & Management, three topics in that forum could be put into a thread and pinned in the main forum.

Gundogs & Retrievers sections, I'd leave alone, though a case could be made that it could be broken up and fitted into other sections if traffic dropped off in that forum.

Also, if FAQ sections aren't addressing the problem of FAQ's relentlessly popping up in main and subforums, then snip the ones that aren't helping and turn them into sticky threads on the relevant forums.

My problem with the layout as is, I don't see the need for some individual and subforums given the traffic they receive, in some cases it looks like a lot of clutter with little movement.

Currently, there are 9 forums in Shooting with 13 subforums.

Really cutting to the bone, i.e. compacting the forums as much as possible as far as I see it, there could be 6 forums with 2 subforums (both in airgun).

Bunker hatch closed, tin hat on :blink:

why not put up a proposal saying that if a subforum is not getting used regular or very very low usage it will be deleted see if you get any complaints about that and take it from there,,i only go on reloading ,,general,, and the odd other one if bored so dont care what gets scrapped. ;)

paul

Just looking at the Shooting forum:

Rimfire, Centrefire & Shotguns & Airgunners, Spring & Precharged are busy forums leave as they are. The airgun subforums seem to be getting use at almost 1,300 topics in one and 730 in the other.

Reloading, Optics, Ammunition & Accessories doesn't need any of it's subforums IMO if you go in and look at the usage of those subforums.

In Shooting Sports I'd merge all the subforums there with the main forum, I'd also merge Gamekeeping, Conservation & Shoot Management & Shooting Opportunities with it and possibly Pigeon Shooting & Decoying and include their names in a rather long winded subheading under Shooting Sports.

Remove the FAQ forum in Deer Stalking & Management, three topics in that forum could be put into a thread and pinned in the main forum.

Gundogs & Retrievers sections, I'd leave alone, though a case could be made that it could be broken up and fitted into other sections if traffic dropped off in that forum.

Also, if FAQ sections aren't addressing the problem of FAQ's relentlessly popping up in main and subforums, then snip the ones that aren't helping and turn them into sticky threads on the relevant forums.

My problem with the layout as is, I don't see the need for some individual and subforums given the traffic they receive, in some cases it looks like a lot of clutter with little movement.

Currently, there are 9 forums in Shooting with 13 subforums.

Really cutting to the bone, i.e. compacting the forums as much as possible as far as I see it, there could be 6 forums with 2 subforums (both in airgun).

Bunker hatch closed, tin hat on :blink:

:whistling: the boards :gunsmilie:,

i agree john never took no notice really, compacting it would be handy,

atb sounder

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would prefer fewer sub-forums. It's all too easy to be a niche user ever wanting an ever smaller niche just for me but that's not necessarily what's best for the site as a whole.

Having so many different forums makes the site slower to browse. Unless you know exactly what you are looking for in the first place, you have numerouse places to check each time you visit or you just don't know how much you've missed that you might have been interested in.

If you do know exactly what you want you can type it into the search engine which is what it's there for. Make the computer do the work, that's what their there for.

By having fewer forums you can browse through the site quicker, knowing you've covered the widest possible breath. It also encourages more site traffic because you know more people are likely to see what you've put, be it sale or simply comment.

In summary, the best way to find a needle in a haystack is to start with fewer haystacks!

Edited by ffireblade