Ferret

Guest king ratcatcher

Guest king ratcatcher

My bro got a ferret today, were going to get another one soon, heres a piccy of her .......

dscf36842mb1.th.jpg

dscf3683gt3.th.jpg

dscf3685pq1.th.jpg

Shes comming along nicely, ate half a tin of catfood eirlier, will give her some raw meat tommorow :thumbs-up:

NICE GILL MATE SANDY I THINK?...I WOULDENT GIVE TOO MUTCH TINED CAT FOOD MATE MINE GET IT AS A TREAT NOW AND THEN.I ALWAYS KEEP A BOX OF DRY CAT FOOD FOR TIMES WHEN I HAVENT GOT ANY RABBITS/PHEASANT/ENEY OTHER FECKIN THING ABOUT OR IVE FORGET TO DE-FROST ONE LOL...GOOD LUCK WITH HER MAYBE THE RATS WILL GET A BREATHER NOW

if you cant get any rabbit yet get some chicken wings, from somewhere like tesco, i buy trays for less than 2 quid that last a week, i just put 2 in a bag & freeze them, then get them out every morning & put them in the fridge untill they have defrostd.

If you want to feed some dry as well i would opt of a ferret food rater than a cat one, the cheapo cat foods are made with soya protein, the better ones are meat protein based but will cost more than ferret kibble, so if you have a decent pet place i would go there for the dry food :)

Cheers mate, yea i gave it to her as a treat, will feed her dry catfood daily, what do you reckomend the best dry food to give em is, thanks lee .......... :)

best is flesh mate skin bone fur and feather......if you take her out once a week ime sure youle get enuff to feed her for 2......even the odd rat....ps if i was you ide get her a play mate there very social animals youle see the diff in her ;)

I'd say, first thing is go get a book on ferrets, it'll answer all your questions and more

"PETS AT HOME" do a brand of ferret food, around a fiver for two ferts will last around 3/4 weeks, a raw egg and milk as a treat now and again, and any rabbit/wood pigeon/pheasant you can get, I personnaly would'ent give my ferts rats or feral pigeon for the amount of disease they carry, but thats upto you, another jill will be good company, but when they come into heat, its best to get them out of it as soon as possible as a swollen rear end is a good entry point for infection to get in, and they can die

so either a jill jab from the vets, or putting them with a nuetured male for a false pregancy, or let them have a litter

I understand what you are on about stubby regarding in season jills but have to say i've never had a problem with them if they remain in season all summer and i've had ferrets for a few years.

To be honest I think it's a bit of an old wifes tale.

King ratcatcher,i'd recommend getting another jill to keep you're jill company.

I have a freind that has had a jill for 6 years and never once bred her and she is sound.

But, i have also read, not seen, or experinced, other folks jills dying fron them being on heat all summer.

The jill jab is ment to be good, but i have also heard that it can lead to infertility :blink: Confusing or what? :laugh:

Best bet i would say if you are not going to breed is, seek out your local ferret club and ask them, or, on here if someone has a vesectomised hob that you could use to bring your jill out of season. ;)

If getting another, get a jill for now and see how you go working them ect for a couple of years and then decide if you need a hob for breeding ect.

Frank.

Guest king ratcatcher

cheers everyone, its good to see that there are a wide number of differant views from members, i have had a good read through the threads in the ferreting section and may get her spayed to save any complications or infections, would you recommend this as a good step to take and a responsible one?

cheers everyone, its good to see that there are a wide number of differant views from members, i have had a good read through the threads in the ferreting section and may get her spayed to save any complications or infections, would you recommend this as a good step to take and a responsible one?

Sounds responsible to me mate. :D

I get all of my ferrets spayed and neutered. Never have to worry about jills getting sick or having to seperate hobs due to agression in summer or anything.

As for breeding I don't care how good my ferrets are at working [and I own a few cracking stinkers], none of 'em are going to get bred as there's plenty of other genuine blokes doing that. :clapper:

If I want to add another good worker to my team then I just get one off another ferreter. It's simple and I don't have to feck around with litters of kits and in season jills.

In the end though mate it's up to you, just go with whatever suits you best and good luck with it. :yes: