Which 410 Cartridges?

Hay,

I've just bought a 410 from our own for sale section and need to decide what to feed it. It has 3" chamber and I intend to use it for rabbits after getting to know it on clays. So any ideas for a good price and clean kills?

Cheers,

Halam

Hay,

I've just bought a 410 from our own for sale section and need to decide what to feed it. It has 3" chamber and I intend to use it for rabbits after getting to know it on clays. So any ideas for a good price and clean kills?

Cheers,

Halam

i always used number 6 Eley magnums with it mate,never had any trouble although as usual smaller the bore higher the price unfortunately :thumbs:

I use Fiocchi 3" 6shot for anything up to 30 yds ( cos its a crimp closure so easy to reload ),and eley 21/2" 7 for clays mine is bored 1/4-1/2. This may help a little i find mine gives a string of shot rather than a cloud with the 3" I think this is down to the longer shot colume in the case, i just lead things a foot more and all seems ok, its not so noticeable on the 2 1/2 case so i shoot those as i would the 12 bore

You need to make a tool its basicly a bar that slides in a tube,, Tube is a close fit to the case and the bar has to be 4x the wall thickness of the case less in dia you statr the crimp by hand then finish with the tool,,, however its a better and easier job with a press i use a MEC Junior it has a built in crimper

I know it's probably not neccessary, but about 25 years ago when my Dad bought a Spanish .410 S/S folder in 3 inch, when I checked the pressures with the cartridges, the 3" magnum cartridges were a lot higher than what the gun was rated for. I don't know how this happened with proofing. It wasn't much more , but that is what safety limits are for.

It turnes out you have to buy whatever they have in the shop. At leat the boys and I seem to be able to hit stuff occasionaly. we went to lakenheath clay ground today and had a go at the left to right rabbits.

Cheers,

Halam