Mountain Goats

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I ferk about with them all the time but the dogs broken to sheep and wont under any circumstances chase them.I had a big billy shot last november and in its last gasp for life battered the shit out of

would you reckon theres a difference between the smell of a domestic goat and a ferral goats then DOGS&NATIVES?my dogs are stock broken to all farm animals but I still think youd be threading on

Funny   All I can comment on are my own dogs and that of friends, I keep goats at home and my dogs are fine with them, but out on the hill, their fair game. I couldnt guarentee the safety of a pet

Posted Images

............'king idiocy - just what's going to happen when your dog meets domestic goats after running those things?

Bring your dogs up among domestic stock of all types first, and you wont have any issues at all. Some f*****g armchair hunters on ere :doh:

I guess this is just the usual story - it's the school holidays and all the 'expert' teenagers' have put down their gameboys and come on here. I've run dogs on a daily basis for more than 35 years and don't need lessons or insults from a teeny tot. Wild goats in this country are just domestic goats gone feral - there's no real difference in appearance or scent or behaviour etc between feral goats and domestic goats. There's lots of small holdings with goats about and you are just asking for trouble doing this. What next, a thread about running feral sheep?

Funny :feck:

All I can comment on are my own dogs and that of friends, I keep goats at home and my dogs are fine with them, but out on the hill, their fair game. I couldnt guarentee the safety of a pet goat on the hill, but at home or round the farms, deffo. :thumbs: Never had any issues with sheep ever! Same with my friends dogs (members on here) they are fine among stock of all kinds in 'normal' situations, but when they get the scent of those hill billies, its game on! If you doubt me, I invite you out anytime, see for yourself, if not dont call me a liar...... or a teenager.

Jigsaw, I know your no armchair hunter, sorry if I offended you. But I want to say what my experiences have been, or should I just keep quiet lol

(As a side note, a local huntsman used to have a couple of pet foxes, his terriers got on well with them, but these were also a hard type when worked, out hunting (regularly)).

spot on mate... My dogs live with cats but bump into a feral on the hillside and its fecked! or they are! lol...

J Darcy has hunted wild goat, ask him.

I guess this is just the usual story - it's the school holidays and all the 'expert' teenagers' have put down their gameboys and come on here. I've run dogs on a daily basis for more than 35 years and don't need lessons or insults from a teeny tot. Wild goats in this country are just domestic goats gone feral - there's no real difference in appearance or scent or behaviour etc between feral goats and domestic goats. There's lots of small holdings with goats about and you are just asking for trouble doing this. What next, a thread about running feral sheep?

u sound like you need a lesson but ill break it down in to simple points for you

1. the pack of goats i hunted can be dated back as far as 2000 years!

2 wouldnt really say there is much difference in appearance although the scent to a wild goat is very different, me and dogs and natives have regularly smelt goat herds long before we have seen them, ive seen the dogs doing summersaults on leaders 1-2 miles away!

3 the reason my dogs wknow the difference between domestic sheep and goats is purely smell. and touch wood aint had any near misses yey.

4 nannys and young are no test for a dog, although i have worked my terriers to real big billys on cliffs and its fast and furious up there. i have also seen 90lb bull x's dragged hundreds of yards off the big un's aswell

a few simple comments from someone who has been there and done it regular cheers :thumbs:

Jamie,this is an honest query,would you say you could trust your dogs around farmed goats even though they tackle ferral goats?I know what your saying when you say you can smell them first.Many a time Ive been on one side of a ridge and I could smell the buggers over the other side.The only worry Id have is if the dog gave chase on a billy and it hit cover and say somehow it encountered a sheep in amongst the area,with its hunting mode in full swing and the sheep does a runner,I would think the chances of the dog pursueing could be high,but I really dont know as Ive not been in that situation.Good read though,as for BRIAN...........he a lost cause.

Never hunted goats and i dont think i would ever want to,its not as if theyre hard to catch? I reckon theres a lot of dog types could catch them, you wouldnt need a racey lurcher type. Ive seen them quite a bit when im out and about Northumberland and the borders. If i was going after them i would be more comfortable using a heavier dog than my lurchers. :victory:

I have shot feral goats in the past, some were stinky some wern't but 'wild goats' in this country are just domestic goats gone feral. Now the question you want to ask yourself is whether you think its worth the risk of running them - by all accounts they aren't a challenge for a dog to catch and except for young kids they aren't really edible except as dog food. The fact that some other idiot has done this before and got away with it doesn't mean that you will. The question to ask yourself is this: Can you be absolutely 100% certain that after you have been out on Farmer Smith's land chasing feral goats and are coming back down the hill that you dog won't then nail the identical domestic goats in Farmer Jones's milking herd which are used to make his award-winning goats milk cheese? If the dog does this then the consequences are likely to be the dog or dogs being shot, you possibly being prosecuted, a compensation claim (and believe me any goat your dog kills is certain to be a wonderful prize specimen worth a small fortune) and crucially loss of reputation and likely loss of permission as word gets around the local farmers that your dogs are livestock killers, it's also illegal to hunt goats with dogs in this country. Also bear in mind that if you travel and work your dogs away from home, your dog may encounter goats in unexpected situations and while out of your sight - once again, is it worth the risk for something that isn't a sporting quarry at all? My dogs sometimes end up a couple of miles away from me at the end of a long run having sometimes pursued their quarry way off permission onto strange ground and I expect them to be 100% with all kinds of livestock in all situations and I also expect them not to run any animal they haven't come across before, and this means that when we do unexpectedly bump into things like alpacas, llamas and rheas there arent any unfortunate and expensive incidents.

Is the question''do I feed them to the dogs' then the answer is yeah all the time.I have eaten a few mature females in the past myselt too.LG the goats I hunt are primarily escapees BUT they escaped over 50 years ago and are since untouched by human hands unless being dead,lol.I have to be inclined to agree with your way of thinking,goating with dogs would be rather pointless and cruel and not a real challange for a decent gutsy dog.

Just caught climpse of this thread even though it may be done and dusted! This goat and the rest of them stink, i personally cant stand the smell! Easy to catch hard to stop, only seen one dog take them. This was took while checking earths for charlie with jamie2004live and dogs n natives! :thumbs:

I would take dogs n natives up on the outing, all permission and good permission at that, we are there regular!

post-41336-0-53371800-1294344858_thumb.jpg

Edited by genuine

Right wolly looking feckers,not at all like the ones I hunt.Hed be nice mounted on the wall though,hed look well in between these two,lol

goatheads001.jpg

You like watching eggheads jigsaw ha ha ha i wouldnt mind a couple of them goats on my wall they look bang on mate :thumbs:

Well your more than wellcome to have a walk about and see if we can get ye one.Ive had 2 lads out lately,1 bloke has had 2 trips out and the other only one,it was ferkin embarrasing.We never even saw a goat and 2 days later on my own I shot 4.You can never tell if you'll get lucky or not.