whats the ideal 1st shotgun

hi all i'm applying for my licence in the new year, once i get that i was just curiouse on what shooter to get, was looking at F.T.Baker but not sure what else would be good for a 1st one, i mainly want it for wild fowling, pigeon and doing rabbits

any help and pics will be great.

Thanks

all depends on your budget mate! you cant go wrong with a baikel cheap and solid!

hi te all second that to :thumbs:

I'll third that. my first was an over and under baikal, 28" ejector, single selective trigger. Loved it, would have it back tommorrow :thumbs:

As already said the price of your first gun is what your willing to pay.

I got a lincholn o/u 12bore ejector at the gamefair for £100 (Cheap as chips)

And i also picked up a Baikal single barrel 12bore for £15 at sportsmanguncentre in dorset the other week so it just goes to show you can get a gun for any price if ou look in the right places.

One word of advise though. Dont buy a gun because it looks nice and is in your price range. Buy a gun that fits you properly as you cant shoot with a gun that doesnt fit you and you will get put off.

thanks for that guys, just looked on guntrader to get a rough idea and it dont seem too bad if im honest.

never really liked the looked of O/U's but it actually better then i thought and the price tag aint to steep either, looks like an ideal 1st shooter, might go and try and look at 1 duing the week if posilble,

thanks a lot for the help guys,

If you dont like the look of over unders why not get yourself a clay shooting lesson and phone them up in advance and ask if the have a side by side you can have a go with. if you get on with it then get yaself one, if ye dont get on with it get an over under

i've just read the post again, and done some more research, didn't realise that Baikal do side by side's as well, and still is a good looking and sound great for 1'st timer.

thanks borntoshoot for that advice and its good, but i have a friend that's getting me into it and deffantly prefer a side by side,

now need to do research into what cartridges to get now.

thanks all

Another vote for the baikel from me! My first gun was a £100 o/u baikel 12bore. Had 2 sets of barrels, so you could use it for skeet or game. Both myself and my brother used it no end for clays. Must have put thousands of cartridges through it.

As someone else has said, its really down to your budget and what you get on well with. If you like side by sides, you can get a spanish one such as a Gunmark pretty cheap. I bought one a while back for less than £100 and love it. Its easily the first gun I reach for now when im going out anywhere. Cheap, reliable, accurate, light, perfect really. You can also get some AYA side by sides cheaply which also are very nice guns. In addition, when your talking about cheapie guns, they usually hold their value well, so if you fancy getting something more expensive in a few years time, you`ll easily get your money back on them.

Id get down a few shops and try a few out to see what you like the look / feel off within your budget.

My first shotgun was a Second hand 'Lanber Sporting Deluxe' 12g. I had the gun about 5 years and i had no trouble at all.

I got the idea to buy a Lanber from my friend at work who bought his new about 15 years ago. he has also had no problems ,

All the best ,

John :yes: