Chinning

AndyL

I have seen a few DVD's etc where rabbits are chinned in purse nets, how do you do this (properly) ?

I have worked ferrets on and off for 20+ years but have only ever despatched rabbits in one way, chinning once out of the net. I use the back legs for purchase when chinning (stretch the rabbit full length then firmly pull back and twist the head) so how do you do this without a grip on the back legs, watching DVD's etc it's over very quickly and difficult to make out what's being done.

I suppose I have led a pretty sheltered life with regards ferreting, learned from an old guy and stuck with the ways I was taught, they haven't let me down, but always willing to learn.

Would also be usefull to know as I ferret on my own now, can often be seen waddling about with rabbits in nets between my legs and under my arms until I get a chance to get them out of the nets to despatch them.

Thanks,

Andy

The way i do it is to grip the rabbit high up on its shoulders so that the bridge of my hand is at the base of the neck in my right hand (im left handed) and then in one quick, sharp movement put my left palm under its chin and push its head backwards. You should hear the neck breaking. Untill youve got the hang of it, i would advise you to touch the rabbits eye afterwards. If it blinks it aint dead yet so dont drop it! Lol!