Vhd

I rang a land owner today to see if it was ok to go down tomorrow , they said they'd found 8 dead rabbits lying in the fields this week , no sighns of any mixie or anything else has to be VHD in my eyes a dodgy one as no doubt with having a few permisions it's probablly spread through the stinkers unless it was there anyway , did some reading up nasty one that , and can't do much about it really,anyone else got any sighns on there permisions

I rang a land owner today to see if it was ok to go down tomorrow , they said they'd found 8 dead rabbits lying in the fields this week , no sighns of any mixie or anything else has to be VHD in my eyes a dodgy one as no doubt with having a few permisions it's probablly spread through the stinkers unless it was there anyway , did some reading up nasty one that , and can't do much about it really,anyone else got any sighns on there permisions

20 or so years ago I recall finding a few bunnies dead in strange circumstances . They were just huddled as if asleep under piles of logs or tucked-up in cover. The wisdom of the time was that these were typical VHD mortalities.

Considering the weather that we've experienced it is possible that the dead ones on your patch are simply the weakest bunnies that succumbed to stress , starvation and cold.

Also when rabbits do become stressed or forced to survive on unfamiliar or damp food they are very likely to be weakened by gut diseases such as coccidiosis and enteritis. These are often overlooked as killers as they don't have the specacular symptoms of myxomatosis .

Edited by comanche

Its been minus 14 up here i think once the snow melts i will be finding a few dead bunnies about the place ,but if it is R.H.D. watch out its a hot virus that can be transfered on clothes etc

Okay what is VHD or RHD?

VHD is Viral Hemorrahagic Disease, RHD is Rabbit Hemorrahagic Disease they are one and the same, simply explained would be to say that rabbits that pick up this virus bleed internally, a common cause of death is that the rabbit will drown in it's own blood when it gets into their lungs. It affects rabbits very quickly and is highly contageous, you will sometimes see blood on the rabbits nose, ears, rear end etc.

A bit like when they have myxi they will be huddled up, lethargic and in great pain / discomfort, some rabbits can survive myxi they cant shrug this off.

On a brighter note it has no affect on ferrets (it doesn't effect hares either),it only affects rabbits.

Okay what is VHD or RHD?

VHD is Viral Hemorrahagic Disease, RHD is Rabbit Hemorrahagic Disease they are one and the same, simply explained would be to say that rabbits that pick up this virus bleed internally, a common cause of death is that the rabbit will drown in it's own blood when it gets into their lungs. It affects rabbits very quickly and is highly contageous, you will sometimes see blood on the rabbits nose, ears, rear end etc.

A bit like when they have myxi they will be huddled up, lethargic and in great pain / discomfort, some rabbits can survive myxi they cant shrug this off.

On a brighter note it has no affect on ferrets (it doesn't effect hares either),it only affects rabbits.

can ferretts catch it.?ATB SORRY I PANICED AND DIDNT SEE LAST SENTENCE!

Edited by tonyh