hunt terriers

just wondered if any of you lads work your terriers with hunts , today i gave our local hunts terrierman a hand at a dig the guy has some nice terriers which get straight in and get there job done ,Which we would expect from our terriers aswell but how many think there terrier could work with hounds ,the niose of the hounds horses ect i must admit i dont think my bitch could ,i personally i :victory: think its a different job .I would be interested to hear some of the lads who do work with a packs opinions

Edited by zap

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what you have to remember mate is that a lot of hunt terriers are kenelled at hunt kennells so get used to the hounds.always got mine with me when with my local pack and they aint bothered by hounds or horses.there are a few hunt terriermen on here who can give you the proper answers you want if they look at this post.

it dont take long for a terrier to learn that the sound of hounds, horses, and even the horn means its time to go to work. taking them to a few hunt day digs and let them get used to the sounds and smells before you try entering them should help. my bitch had here first proper dig last year when out with the hounds for her first day out, imo if the dog has got its mind on the job 100 % it shouldnt matter whats going on on top.... sure people may have different veiws but theres mine.....

Done a bit with hunts mate, the dogs do get used to it as a rule, but some of the more sensetive types are not so keen on the rush, as all the work during the hunting day is rushed.

Hunt terrier lads ussualy have good dogs, and it as always handy to have a marker, when you are trying earths without the hounds, as huntsmen tend to get pissed of dragging hound back for a blank.

When stopping some lads use dogs that don't stick, so as they can try big places, get a bolt and stop it, which would not be much use to the hard core terrier lad, but invaluble to a pro.

Stick in with it though mate, its the best feeling to be part of the team, and achieve success & good sport ]

Different ball game doing hunt terrierwork.You are there for hounds really got to think forward.I also do my other terrierwork on a lot of estates where hounds dont go due to new roads etc.Use the same terriers whatever .,.Must have a good selection of (hardness ) in terriers .The secret is picking the dog to match the situation.The terriers soon click with all the hustle and bustle.No matter what a huntsman says you have the last say in what you do or dont regarding one to ground

your lucky mate to get to use your terrier as the one and only hunt i went out for a while the terrier guy would not let any other dogs be used and as far as i no it,s still the same his dog,s only

i never used my terrier but without taking anything away from her i know she aint the same quality as alot of the lads on heres and most hunt terriers ,yes she will do the job but ,its about getting the job done quickly as you must remember you have a huntsman standing with his field wanting to get on ,thanks for the replies

Guest the poacher

your lucky mate to get to use your terrier as the one and only hunt i went out for a while the terrier guy would not let any other dogs be used and as far as i no it,s still the same his dog,s only

i never used my terrier but without taking anything away from her i know she aint the same quality as alot of the lads on heres and most hunt terriers ,yes she will do the job but ,its about getting the job done quickly as you must remember you have a huntsman standing with his field wanting to get on ,thanks for the replies

well said zap :whistle:

it is a whole diffrent thing to going out on a sunday and digging and to do it you need a whole range of dogs, and good ones at that, some dogs that out and out diggers would shoot on site, but are invaluble to me. its about getting the job done, and providing sport, alot is in the preperation the day before getting them ontop and on the day pushing them out way on in front, there is more of a skill in going on in front and finding them, then following hounds and digging behind them when they cold mark or run in after 20 yards, imho not hunting. although there are lots of diffrent packs with different standards, im refering to the midland, shire type packs, others hunts reley on the boys digging on behind them.

as for the terrier, aslong as it works on its own well 9/10 it will work with distraction, if anything hounds making noise will liven it up instead of putting it off,quite often its the hounds you have to get used to the terriers! and as for horses i have never had any bother. all of my dogs completley ignore the hounds and the same with other dogs, its like there not even there, the way they need to be, they also need to be 100% stock proof and 110% loyal to you, there are alot of eyes watching.

mad hunter as a rule i never let anyone use there dogs unless they are very good friends who have put the work in first, it is a job so you need dogs that can be relyed upon, i can read all my dogs like a book and know the job they are going to do. its all about the assesing the situation so you get the job done, quickly, cleanly and professionally. so in short i use my dogs because i know i can rely on them.

hope that helps , wink ;)

what you have to remember mate is that a lot of hunt terriers are kenelled at hunt kennells so get used to the hounds.always got mine with me when with my local pack and they aint bothered by hounds or horses.there are a few hunt terriermen on here who can give you the proper answers you want if they look at this post.

I think you've hi the nail on the head there mate :clapper:

ATVB Rob

there's no two ways about it,imo the professional hunt terriermens dogs see more work in one season than many dogs will ever see in their lifetime. but its very much horses for courses, some of the most useful hunt terriers wouldn't be given kennel space some places.

there's no two ways about it,imo the professional hunt terriermens dogs see more work in one season than many dogs will ever see in their lifetime. but its very much horses for courses, some of the most useful hunt terriers wouldn't be given kennel space some places.
i personally dont give a fxxxk about hunt work :angry: most ive encountered are arrogant and ignorant and seem to think they own the countryside and all its foxes!!