What A Beauty

While we were out lamping the other night i spotted what i thought were a couple of Chinese Water Deer but because of the distance i could not be sure so i went out the following morning to see if i could find them. I parked my truck in the farm and started the hike aross the fields. Walked for what felt like a week and saw nothing but pheasant, partridge and woodcock. I got to the field where i spotted them and looked around but could find nothing. This was the same for the other fields in the vicinity, so questioning my sanity i gave it up as a bad job and presumed that i had spotted a munty.

I decided to walk the short way back and go through the wood. When i came out of the wood i stopped for a quick smoke and a cup of coffee and to take in the views. I was there about 10 minutes when i spotted movement in a grassy area right belolw where i was sitting...... It was a chinky and sitting no more than 5ft away was his mate. I shuffled my not so athletic frame in to a position where i had a clear view and laid waiting for the buck to move. 2 minutes later he stood up and looked around, i took aim and sent a 50 grain vmax into his vitals.... He collapsed on the spot with nomore than a few kicks. The doe got up and run no more than 30ft stopped and looked back.... she also fell where she stood..... 2 chinese water deer in 2 minutes..... To cut along story short i gutted them in the field took some pics and went and got my truck. When i got back i hung them up to cool and went to down load the pics only for the computer to display a message saying corrupt file so the only pic i have is the one i took from my phone but it shows the fangs on the buck.post-1618-0-34317400-1291222675_thumb.jpg

If a new species like that had turned up on my patch I would have done everything I could to have stopped anyone shooting them. You've killed a breeding pair who would have populated your patch if left alone, in a couple of years time there would have been a lot of CWD about and you would have been able to take a regular, sustainable harvest.

• Like 1

If a new species like that had turned up on my patch I would have done everything I could to have stopped anyone shooting them. You've killed a breeding pair who would have populated your patch if left alone, in a couple of years time there would have been a lot of CWD about and you would have been able to take a regular, sustainable harvest.

Spot on!

I live in Bedfordshire fella. 6 miles from Woburn Park where they originated from. I see chinkys on a very regular basis and i know that this ground will be populated by others very soon. I do agree partially with what you say and if i lived else where i would probably say the same thing.