New Ferret

Iv'e just got a Hutch and a ferret off of a mate one of this years.

Iv'e been told to get straw foir the hutch but was just wondering wether I need to put it all through the hutch or just in the bed??

Also What kind of food do I give her is it ok to give her some of the dogs tripe or not??

Any help would be brilliant!!!

Thanks

Happy Hunting :drinks:

Tripe is fine for ferrets, they usually love it.

Rabbits, day-old chicks, white- rats from pet shops that sell snake food, chicken, pigeons, pheasent, crow (freeze for 2 weeks first), ect, basiclay whole carcass feeding.

If, you have no whole carcass feeding, ferret complete and chub dog food wiil do, tiil you do get some whole carcasses, but only as a substitute.

Straw for bedding in the winter is fine, small amounts of white sredded paper, for the the summer. ;)

Frank.

Sorry, yes, plenty of wood shavings in the corner for the toilet. ;)

Also, layer of shavings under the straw in the bed compartment this time of year is good, gives then extra warmth and security. :)

Frank.

dog food has nothing in the way of nutrients for a ferret and is nearly as bad as feeding bread and milk ... tripe is made up of mostly water and isnt much better if you cant feed carcass and cant find ferret food then feed cat complete meal .... much higher in protein and better for the ferret ...........

Agree, cat complete is a good substitute. :)

But i find, mixing ferret complete and chub, when carcass food is hard to get, works great for me. ;)

Although, the cat complete, is cheaper i find, then ferret complete.

Frank.

They love chicken and depends how many ferts you have.

If its just the 1, a leg, rib cage is fine, check bedding for left overs, as chicken, goes off quicker, then fresh rabbit i find.

Frank.

Yeh it's just the chicken backs Ive got I only paid like 26p each for them I haven't even defrosted any yet!

But Il just put a rib or something in a day for her!!

one of my mate feeds his ferts chudleys ferret complete is this stuff any good?

By the way Iv'e only got the one Fert just starting off!! :drinks:

Edited by cymruguy69
dog food has nothing in the way of nutrients for a ferret and is nearly as bad as feeding bread and milk ... tripe is made up of mostly water and isnt much better if you cant feed carcass and cant find ferret food then feed cat complete meal .... much higher in protein and better for the ferret ...........

If you do use dry cat kibble use a good quaility oneas the cheapo ones are soya protein & its no good, it needs to be meat protein , its more expencive than ferret complete so if you can get that use that or any other ferret specific food, there are loads on the market

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Bit of advice mate, take it or leave it; Search the web for a book by Val Porter and Nicholas Brown. Pair of English people. It was written about twenty, twenty five years ago and published by Pelham Press.

Yes. 'Old' book. Probably older than most of the people who'd advocate feeding ye ferret Anything but a very mainly 'Natural' diet. Check the index for 'Carcinogenic, kidney destroying shit' and I don't recall as ye'll even find it mentioned there. Nor do, I believe, they mention " Conveniance ", " Prepackaged " or " Stupid, pet trade based profiteering American brainwaves ". But maybe that's just my memory failing me? Get hold of this book and see for yeself.

It's called The Complete Book of Ferrets and, I promise ye, it'll do ye ferrets more good than any 'Complete' to have flooded the 'I haven't got time and can't be arsed' ridden market since.

'Chubb Meat'? Those super market / pet shop plastic sasauges of sickly coloured 'stuff'? Yes, amazingly enough, That Is one of the best stand by feeds for a ferret - when it's natural diet isn't to hand. I'd consider it somewhere below 50% any good, but at least it's made up of scrag ends which include feet and such. Point is, it has some " Rougthage " in there. Whole ton of water, but some bone, feather / fur and shit. Just Never let it near a temprature approaching freezing.

Anyway, get that book. My advice :good:

Iv'e just got a Hutch and a ferret off of a mate one of this years.

Iv'e been told to get straw foir the hutch but was just wondering wether I need to put it all through the hutch or just in the bed??

Also What kind of food do I give her is it ok to give her some of the dogs tripe or not??

Any help would be brilliant!!!

Thanks

Happy Hunting :drinks:

Well now you know how to feed the critter and bed it down, nice and snug.

However,..it can be a sad and lonely life for a solitary fitch,...maybe get your ferret a companion... :yes:

Edited by CHALKWARREN