I'm At It Again! (At Last! THE Mink Trapping Post!)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I'll get my own Black mink in dur course, mate ;) No worries on that score.

Fact is, I've just about used up every other available option and shown that either it *Doesn't work* (Like cages get trashed here) or I'm just not good enough at it yet - like using wires. Catch one in a wire and it's obvious what'd happen to that too :censored:

But here's the rub; Ye may advise using a Bender snare, to lift them out of harms way? Fine. But I have no suitable wood here and need to buy some synthetic benders ~ along with a million other things. I haven't much money. Shipping Anything into this country costs a fortune. If I try to find it locally? I often as not can't.

That's why it'll take me a time yet to cobble together the most basic and simple materials to enable me to get my mink - and keep him. Not whining. Just trying to slow you guys down to my own pace of life here. In rural Eire; Everything moves at a slow plod. I'll get there.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Yeppers. I'll probably end up going with a 'Mink Wired' Coni myself :) I'm well aware of how tricky they can be around normal Triggers. Slipping through them unscathed. I'll cheese wire mine.

What I intend to do is make a raft or two. I'll float them out in the middle of the Styx, where Pine Marten won't go and badgers can't reach. Just need to get some bits and pieces together.

No. 11's? I can't do that. Foot holding traps are as illegal in Eire as they are in uk.

I'm still as determined as ever to snare a mink ~ just so's I can prove to myself I can get the hang of it (No pun intended there). But first I really need to figure out a way of avoiding the two protected creatures; Martens that I'd stand to catch and badgers that will take my catch :hmm: Maybe I'll just end up wiring a floating plank?

Hey! Now There's an idea! :icon_eek:

Yeppers. I'll probably end up going with a 'Mink Wired' Coni myself :) I'm well aware of how tricky they can be around normal Triggers. Slipping through them unscathed. I'll cheese wire mine.

What I intend to do is make a raft or two. I'll float them out in the middle of the Styx, where Pine Marten won't go and badgers can't reach. Just need to get some bits and pieces together.

No. 11's? I can't do that. Foot holding traps are as illegal in Eire as they are in uk.

I'm still as determined as ever to snare a mink ~ just so's I can prove to myself I can get the hang of it (No pun intended there). But first I really need to figure out a way of avoiding the two protected creatures; Martens that I'd stand to catch and badgers that will take my catch :hmm: Maybe I'll just end up wiring a floating plank?

Hey! Now There's an idea! :icon_eek:

you need a snare attached to a brick and the brick wired to the gurder , the wire from brick to gurder wants to be long enuff so minky can be drowned himself when he jumps off the gurder, the brick will keep the mink under the water out of sight and harmsway

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Girder's hors de combat, Moles. Clinical Tests have conclusively proven that brock and marty, as well as el minko use that bridge :(

I have to get my sets off of there. To do otherwise, with my knowledge, would be irresponsable and a bit too close to the down right illegal.

Rafts, of what ever nature, will solve all my problems :yes: Just have to figure out the best way to keep them mid stream, whilst I'm unable to access the other side.

And no; No Way am I trying to walk that beam! :icon_eek:

Ditch,

Pine martins over here are far more likely to be on dry land or even in trees than mucking around in the water. Don't know how your pine martins act over there. Here's some instructions and an illustration for a pocket set for mink. The illustration shows a Victor, but it wouldn't be hard to make a minor modification for a Coni.

Another good mink set is the “pocket set†using bait (Fig. 5). This set is made by digging a 3-inch (7.6-cm) diameter hole horizontally back into a bank at the water level. The bottom of the hole should contain about 2 inches (5 cm) of water, and it should extend back at least 10 inches (25 cm) into the bank. Place a bait (fresh fish, muskrat carcass, or frog) in the back of the hole above water level and place the trap underwater at the opening of the hole. Traps should be solidly staked and connected to a drowning wire leading to deep water.

Mink5.gif

Figure 5. The pocket set is effective for mink. Bait or lure is placed in the back of the hole above the water level. (Note: the stake is set off to one side and its top should be driven below the water line).

Rafts, of what ever nature, will solve all my problems :yes: Just have to figure out the best way to keep them mid stream, whilst I'm unable to access the other side.

And no; No Way am I trying to walk that beam! :icon_eek:

attach a brick on a bit of string or baler twine or summat under the raft? on enough string to cope with a rise in water levels. should anchor it down alright. then get a pole with a hook on the end to position the raft, and to drag it back to dry land when necessary?

just a thought. probably a completely crap idea, mind.

or maybe you need a pair of waders!

Oz.

Just dig a very small hole on top of the bank about 18" deep protect it with a snare. Toss in some feathers it will take every mink there.

minksnare1-2.jpg

Same set with snow cover.

Hole2.jpg

Study this picture, look to the right there is a srop in the bank, my snare is right on the edger with a few sticks to block it. As you can see this spot has yeilded a few. :D

minksnare-3.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Lads; I've long since heard of holes and 'Bottom Edge' sets. I'd Love to try such things out. But my hands are tied by my adopted countries legislations. I have to stay legal.

Pine Marten, here, run ditches, banks, girders across ditches. The bloody things are Everywhere! I grew up knowing that Piney's were rare as rocking horse. Found in the depths of the huge Caladonian pine forests. Ate red squirrels and shit they found in the trees. Then I came here! :rolleyes:

We're just starting to chase our tails and repeat ourselves here. Read my two or three entire Threads and ye'll see the developement of all this. How I've tried (legal) Traps. Had a go with Wires. Fell back on Cages. I'm learning from all this at least. My hope and aim is that others may too. I'm here to throw up and high light the problems and short comings of all this 'This is a sure fire method for me / here / under these circumstances / within my legislation' stuff. I'm working under my own conditions and whittling it down ;)

My mission ~ as I now have it ~ is to catch mink. But catch Mink. Not the Pine Martens that are crowding them out here. And, having caught a mink; Have the b*stard still there, in one piece, when I come for him.

Badgers and Pine Martens don't love the water. That's my trump card. I'll follow the mink into the water. I'll use what ever methods. But I'll use them out there in mid stream. We have the Raft.

Ossie; I once dreamed of casually stepping into this ditch and doing as I pleased too - maybe even poking Pocket Sets into it's banks from there. Read above, love; The f*cking thing's Five Foot Deep!!! I go in there? I ain't coming out again!

Straight bottom anchor won't work. It'd drift towards the bank in the current. I have plans in mind though. First I need to aquire my rafts.

This is Eire. Slow down you people! Over here we don't race against time. I'll get one. It's only a game show ;)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Could do mate, legally. Only, look as I might, I'm simply yet to find a location on my ground where I could manage it and it be worth while.

I have two 'waters' available to me here, see? One I call " The River ". It's actually no more than a brook, at full spate and a trickle when the rains abate. Now that's a cracking place - to my untrained eye - and full of little bends and under cuts. Only trouble is it attracts damn few mink!

The huge ditch I call " The Styx " seems to be quite to mink moterway. However, without skuba diving in there, there's no way I can do a thing with it! Five foot of weedy water? I'm not going in there if I can help it! :icon_eek:

No, I imagine ye might agree; I really need something nicely in between, don't I? A nice, live and viable stream. Yet one which is wadable. Just haven't got anything like it round here :no:

Incidentally; It's the dangerous depth of the Styx that prevents me being able to drill Pocket sets into it's banks - what banks? It has none! It's full to the brim. And anyway; I actually own damn few body grippers as it is. But never mind. As well as my rafts, on the Styx and probably holding such few BG's as I do have, I'm planning to poke pockets into the banks of one or two of the feeder ditches running down to the Styx. These I'll guard with wires :good: Maybe, over the course of the coming summer, I'll even get time to dig some pipes in there and so form permanent pockets? That'd be sweet! :)