Help Please.

I think you get the drift now Ted.... :D

Will you be working your future dog, pet or both? Not that it matters with the hours you will be doing.

Wish you all the best Ted.

;)

My intention is for the dog to be worked. Not as much as some on here obviously. Mostly mooching, but I get out lamping fairly often and I'm crap with a rifle, so hopefully the dog' ll help out.:-)

Ps long story behind the Ted.;)

Cheers Jon

both me and the missus work, and they in the house, i take mine a good walk in the morning, she then takes them a walk at lunch time she is then home around 5ish and lets them out for the toilet i then get home and take them a good wander, they all fine, :thumbs:

most people work 9-5 and still keep dogs just have get up bit ear earlier for work to sorted the dogs out.Best thing would be a pen so your house does not get wrecked .would think about getting 2 pups if your working 9-5 keep each other company while your away at work.

i agree mate :thumbs:

go for it mate. if you had any holiday to use up or your miss at home during day be good time to get. say you had week off let pup settle in for week but also put in run for hour on own so gets used being on own. a nice bone from butchers put in with it, should keep it occupied. have you decided what x your going to get? spring/summer good time to get pup, weather wise and thats when people who fully work dogs be breeding.

good luck

Just to add my two penneth.

Ive got a 9 week old lurcher pup, i work 3 week shifts. 5 days 08.00-14.00, 5 days 07.00-15.00 and 7 days 12,00-00.00.

The pup lives indoors in a cage, which he is quickly outrowing i might add! Its for his own safety as much as my convenience.

I take him out in the garden every morning (will soon become a walk when hes had his jabs) and then he has his breakfast. After this he sleeps till lunch. If im on earlys the missus feeds him, lets him out for half hour etc, then again he sleeps till evening. And same at about 6 pm, he knows when its feed time and sleeps till then.

On earlys i will walk him before his evening meal, and on lates i will walk him at midnight when i get home and when hes older go out with the lamp etc.

My missus works part time and we got a 9 month old daughter.

As others have said Lurchers are fairly lazy, once mine has had his feed/water/wee/pooh/playtime he will sleep all day quite happily.

Hope this helps, just thought i would give you my take on it,

Gaz

You sound like a switched on guy who has given this alot of time and consideration. Which can only be a good thing.

If you think you can offer the dog your committment (early mornings/late nights/weekend work) I think you will get on great.

Go for it.

If everyone put as much consideration into owning a working dog we would be in a far better situation at the minute.

Replying from a desk at my 9-5 job.

FTB

• Like 1

I've been asking myself similar questions as ted has for several years now. Slightly different situation, similar considerations.

My thinking is that when I finally commit to taking on another dog, it will be a very sighthoundy lurcher because the inherently more laid back temprement would make it easier to fit in around work than a dog with, for example, a lot of sheepdog blood in it's veins.