Been up watching loads clips on you tube off lots off different dog and bitches coursing some really hard and good runs 4 5 mins but can say that snowy is best hare dog l have even watched what a bitch and credit to the person you owes her.

What the longest course people have seen 5 half mins but this just on you tube forget the dog and body know longer and what dog it was???

• Like 1

Guest underdog

i seen a 7min course on fen fever 2, dont know what dog it was, good course tho.

tom.

Aye, I once had a video like that mate, kept freezing... took me a day and a half to watch forrest gump!!!

Guest underdog

Just wondering but why do alot of people like really long courses? Didn't people use beagles for a course where the object was to tire the hare so much they were able to catch it. Surely a longdog/lurcher should be up and at them? no offence intended just curious

f*****g EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: I've seen hares on the fens died of f*****g boredom, old age, hunger, all during a errr course............... and they call that hunting!!! :blink:

Guest underdog

I expect it's the difference between actual experience of running dogs on big open land and watching tapes of it. A whole different ball game!

If you ain't done it then your opinions are no more than theories.

Big land lol, love that phrase............ if it ain't big land it ain't no f*****g good......losers :tongue2:

• Like 1

with long ears eing illegal i would have thought you would want a quick course and a retrieve incase it comes ontop, what you going to do bail and leave your redicilously over priced dog prancing round like a fairy

Its not that they choose to run for 5/6 mins before they kill it...its the fact that thay can run that long if they dont kill it in the first minute...some hares are just better than others.

Please point out in my post where I said if it wasn't big land it was no good!

All the criticism seems to come from those who have no experience of big land.

I live and have hunted most of my life among small fields and dairy pasture. When I first got the invite to run on fenland I too thought I knew it all. But after a very short time, and with an inquiring mind, I realized that there was more to the game than I knew.

The dogs that were killing hares week in and week out in Ireland's smallish fields were being straight lined to the horizon, because the slips were longer due to the difficulty in judging the hares distance on a green mono culture, and the fact that the well hunted brown hares on fen land were the best of the best that had survived years of hunting. Perhaps now, after the ban, when much of the land is out of bounds, the quality of hare will have been reduced.

I leave that to the guys with recent experience to confirm or deny.

• Like 1

The fact is not every hare can be killed within a couple of minutes :thumbs: , at the end of the day the hare dictates the length of the course :notworthy: , if he is a fit boy it wont be easy big land or small land :no:

big land requires a different sort of dog to kill them consistently one with bags of stamina, because the hare is in its natural habitat, large open plains which he is designed to survive on with his speed and turning ability, and over here he gets an exceptional diet on the fenlands :yes: likely sees the odd lurcher or two as well just to warm him up :laugh:

Other types of dogs excel at knocking them dead in other places hilly areas, tight small fields etc, in my book doesn't make one type better than the other or superior in any way, a good killer is just that :yes: , but then there are also some dogs which can do it anywhere :thumbs: fen or field, thems the ones ya wants :yes: a dog given away for free can give its owner as much pleasure as a one that cost £10k :yes:

Edited by arcticgun

True Arcticgun, I had a dog in the eighties that I've never seen bettered over here.....his name was Fly, an Irish terrier/greyhound x whippet. Killed 3's and 4's regular over here and most of the time I leaded him up and came home when he'd caught all I needed for that day, or he would have had more. But I know he wouldn't have made a match dog, much as I loved the wee tyke. On big land they can't kill everything and on the open ground what else can they do but Jack?