bitches in season

I put this answer up a while back to a similar question: though I think the question was more about running a bitch after her season. I run mine when they're in season, and for about a month after. Talking hard running here not just a couple of pops after rabbits.

When a bitch's body thinks it might be in pup it lays down fat around the internal organs: all part of the process of getting ready to have pups: a wild canine would need to stack on the weight prior to being laid up in her den rearing pups and she needs all the energy she can get for those first few weeks of rearing young uns. Most bitches run fine for about a month after their season finishes, but watch out after that. the period from 5 to 12 weeks after the season is when you need to take it easy with the bitch as her muscles also lose their tone and can be damaged more easily if she is run hard.

I put this answer up a while back to a similar question: though I think the question was more about running a bitch after her season. I run mine when they're in season, and for about a month after. Talking hard running here not just a couple of pops after rabbits.

When a bitch's body thinks it might be in pup it lays down fat around the internal organs: all part of the process of getting ready to have pups: a wild canine would need to stack on the weight prior to being laid up in her den rearing pups and she needs all the energy she can get for those first few weeks of rearing young uns. Most bitches run fine for about a month after their season finishes, but watch out after that. the period from 5 to 12 weeks after the season is when you need to take it easy with the bitch as her muscles also lose their tone and can be damaged more easily if she is run hard.

this bitch of mine has just come in season (about a week or so), so from what your saying here i could go for a mooch, get a few runs and it'll do her no harm?

iv run all my bitches when in season year after year,nothing silly just knocking a few bunnies over just to get out for an hour really,yes iv had the slagging and heard all the stories but surely a bit of sensible exercise,all be it a few bunnies, doesn't seem to have harmed any of them :thumbs:

i use my tumbler x for bushing and me and a friend was pushing a wood out and just from the way she was working new she was just coming in ...and have found the bitch works out here skin....but if you no your dog you will no when she has had a enough.......:thumbs: ..but cant coment on the big ears gig...

My bitch is currently in the five to twelve weeks after and her seasons don't half fk her up. She gets straight lined by a rabbit and needs about one hundred meters to catch up to it. All muscle tone goes and she's basicaly usles, except for catching pheasents and pushing stuff out, can't wait til she's bak to normal its sad to see her so frustrated, all the drivr is thrre just not the ability, think I'll have to use season suppresents from now on.

Just wanted to say: the only time my lurchers have suffered major muscle damage, as in ruptured muscles (gracillis particularly susceptible) is if they've run hard, and more to the point, had to turn hard at speed, during that 5-12 weeks period after a season. Its only a few weeks, so take it steady during that time.

Edited to add: a lot of first season bitches and young fit animals don't appear to suffer as much from the soft muscles after a season: the problem generally gets worse with age.