collie kelpie greyhound pup

i keep gun dogs but have that much ferreting and lamping permission the time came for a lurcher pup. i got meself a collie kelpie greyhound off a mate.Its 22 weeks old now and when its playing/chasing with the labs it barks on. Now i no this can be a problem in later life but was just wondering if this is not to much to worry about as it is a pup? i have started to keep him on the lead until i get put straight.

ATB Lee

i keep gun dogs but have that much ferreting and lamping permission the time came for a lurcher pup. i got meself a collie kelpie greyhound off a mate.Its 22 weeks old now and when its playing/chasing with the labs it barks on. Now i no this can be a problem in later life but was just wondering if this is not to much to worry about as it is a pup? i have started to keep him on the lead until i get put straight.

ATB Lee

think all my dogs have yapped when playing about mate,pups being pups and all that,never had a yapper on quarry yet,so i would just let it enjoy itself :thumbs:

Most pups discover they have a voice around 12 weeks old, even sighthoundy lurchers. Collie crosses can be a lot more noisy: barking and yapping when they're playing. My noisiest litter were nearly half collie, but as adults they never make a sound when chasing. There's a lot of difference between playing and chasing to kill something: let the pup be a pup and enjoy itself, but don't let it get into the habit of chasing adult dogs: its too much for a young pup, and the frustration can lead to agression, especially in your type of pup.

Better to let it chase you about, throw a ball for it etc than let it get fed up trying to catch dogs it isn't fast enough to catch. I've seen 6 month old pups run themselves to exhaustion chasing adult dogs: NOT a good idea at all.

my kelpie x greyhound did exactly the same thing,barking her head off while chasing my other dogs when young,I too was seriously concerned but it never came to anything.Put it down to the exuberance of youthfullness,shes as silent as the night now when runing :victory: :victory:

Kelpies...noisy..? :whistling:

My last lurcher was also a kelpie/collie greyhound and my experience was pretty much the same as Jigsaw's. However, kelpies can be very vocal and two of my three can bark like a Finnish Spitz at treed squirrels, hedgehogs walking past the run at night etc whereas the other is so quiet you'd think she's had her vocal chords removed. Maybe she thinks the other two are doing enough barking for all three of them. :hmm: