lamping foxes with a shotgun

I am looking for some advice on lamping foxes with a shotgun.

I was out last night lamping rabbits and saw three foxes all to far away to hit with the shotgun. How do I call them in close enough to shoot? Do I leave the lamp switched on or off? If it is off how do I know when the fox is close enough to shoot? Any advice or tips welcome.

yeh just turn the lamp off and make a squeakin noise with ur lips, turn it back on to seee if he's comming in turn it off squeak a bit more then turn it onwhen he's comming right in and keep squeakin if he slows down or looks like he's thining twice and shot him when he comes into range. if its a young daft one or some that has never been bothered there is a good chance they will come right in. rember to turn the engine off as soon as you see his eyes.

good luck

From experience mate and not hearsay .Keep the lamp at the foxes feet as it comes in and not directly on it .Turning it off allows the fox to see your outline and the game is over .Remember this-their eyesight is atuned to the night unlike our own and they have a mental picture of what should be on the skyline and where .Get your back against a tree if poss before calling as this will break up your background .Most foxes will pull up at some time when close to you and turn sideways .This is their escape strategy if something goes wrong .If they are within 30 yards then this is the time to shoot .The vital organs are exposed at this stage and max damage is caused hopefully resulting in a quick death .Shooting at a fox head on, unless very close, is in my experience very likely to result in injury and a lost scowling fox .I use bb's of the 'buffalo' variety.Good luck mate .Edited to say that if a fox is hit but moving then dont hesitate to give it another as they have a habit of getting up when least expected and making off .

Put your tubby bit of hand to your mouth and suck until it makes a sqeaking noise, keep still and the fox should come in. This will probably piss someone off, but out last night after the rabbits i saw mr fox around 100 yards away and as i had my camera with me decided to call him in, called him in to around 15 yards before he realised i was a pretty darn big rodent in distress :p unfortunately it was too dark for the photo to show up and i only had an air rifle with me so couldnt add him to the bag. give it a go though mate.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion on the matter is dont go lamping after foxes with a shotgun... Leave it to rifles. I have seen so many foxes wounded by over zealous cowboys having a go at ranges that would kill a pheasant but just injure and maim. If i see a fox while im out with the shotgun i leave it alone and go back that night with the rifle.

it's tricky, unless you have someone else holding the lamp, your first shot will dislodge the lamp from where you're pointing it, plus all the smoke that come out when you shoot (which you can't really see during the day) will be picked out by the lamp beam and hang like a cloud in front, so best bet is to get someone else to hold the lamp

:wallbash:

It's not hard. There are just some rules which need to be observed to lamp effectively with a shotgun. For me, it's by far the most enjoyable shooting there is.

The first thing is noise - you're not allowed to make any. As you'll need to get within 40 yards of your fox to shoot him, side on as Foxdropper says is by far and away the best position, 36 gram BB's are an excellent load. Forget about choke, doesn't matter.

So, cut off, tape down, repair, replace or reject anything that rattles, rustles, swishs, squeaks or creaks.

A windy, dark night is the best for shotgun lamping. A flat calm, full moon night is a disaster for shotgun lamping. The stronger the wind the more running and jumping you can do without being heard. The darker the night, the less chance there is of you being seen.

It's easy to shoot by holding the lamp in your left hand and the shotgun in your right hand. Line the gun and light up by resting the shotguns forend on your left forearm. Nothing to it - try not to "clink" the lamp housing against the gun at this point.

If in doubt after the first shot, keep shooting.

Don't turn your light off once you've spotted your fox. That's just about the best way of losing the fox, or letting him see you. Keep it over him, or under him, or to the side of him, all fine if you think he's getting too much light you can do any of those and keep track of his eyes until he's in range or you get into range.

You're forced to learn the paths the fox likes to travel when limited to shotgun range, then you can ambush him better by being on his path, between where he is and where he want's to be. Foxes are creatures of habit. If cover is available on those "less dark" nights, use it, stand in by a bush or wall or whatever is available.

Those windy dark nights are great for "stalking" your fox too. Walk up to him - don't give the game away, crouch, stop if he stops to look at the light, move when he moves, don't stand out against the background or village/town lights - and shoot him. No calling needed some nights. That's about knowing your fox, where does he want to be, where is his path.

Know what 40 yards looks like. It's important. I've shot foxes out to 55 yards out of necessity, but you don't want to be doing that by an error in range estimation. Anytime you're out, play a game, pick a rock, pick a tree, pick a rabbit, whatever, then guess the range, then pace it or use a rangefinder. Practice that and you'll get it down quickly.

Have fun, it's not as hard as people make out, you just need to pay attention and be quiet ;)